Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weekly shopping - New Slant

Weekly shopping - New Slant

Old Dec 24th 2005, 10:36 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weekly shopping - New Slant

Right, I know its a tired old thread about how much does your weekly shopping come to.

So heres a new slant that might give people a new perspective on things.

We ran around like blue arsed flies today in Coles buying stuff for new baby, new house, and two weeks of "never having to go to the shops again"

We spent $400. That was with two trolleys full of everything you could imagine to fill a new house (soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, toothbrushes, sponges etc.. you get the idea), and everything you could imagine for a new bubba (nappies, lotions etc), and everything you could imagine to stuff a new house for xmas (ok that last bit is pushing it, we bought some party snacks to pretend we have a social life on xmas morning )

So ALL that came to $400. I looked at the wife and said, "well, at least its not as much as Glittababes $470 a week shopping"!
Old Dec 24th 2005, 11:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weekly shopping - New Slant

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Right, I know its a tired old thread about how much does your weekly shopping come to.

We ran around like blue arsed flies today in Coles buying stuff for new baby, new house, and two weeks of "never having to go to the shops again"

We spent $400. That was with two trolleys full of everything you could imagine to fill a new house (soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, toothbrushes, sponges etc.. you get the idea), and everything you could imagine for a new bubba (nappies, lotions etc), and everything you could imagine to stuff a new house for xmas (ok that last bit is pushing it, we bought some party snacks to pretend we have a social life on xmas morning )

So ALL that came to $400. I looked at the wife and said, "well, at least its not as much as Glittababes $470 a week shopping"!

To be honest considering what you bought, that sounds pretty good. No one ever said babies were cheap

Have a fab first christmas with bubba.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 4:58 am
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Shite!!!

I am going to have to borrow you to do my weekly shopping, it comes to $400 most weeks. We picked up extra junk this last shop and it weighed in at a healthy $740, we are going back to the shops tomorrow for milk and bread.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 5:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by menace
Shite!!!

I am going to have to borrow you to do my weekly shopping, it comes to $400 most weeks. We picked up extra junk this last shop and it weighed in at a healthy $740, we are going back to the shops tomorrow for milk and bread.
Have a look at ABS

For June 2000 they quoted $155.16 pw (17% of total spending) for the average Household Food bill for the "Employed" Household Group (I assume an average household is about 4 people)

Based on their indexes, that would be $183.48 pw by June 2005.

Old Dec 26th 2005, 9:42 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Weekly shopping - New Slant

Hmm how much will it be for 2 babies I wonder?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 26th 2005, 10:15 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Thats more realistic. We dont spend more than $100 per week on shopping which is about the same.

We dont do all our shopping in supermarkets, with veggies and fruit from the local farm etc - much cheaper and nicer.

We certainly dont "watch" what we buy. Of course we will buy things on special etc, but wont penny pinch too much.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hmm how much will it be for 2 babies I wonder?

Cheers

Buzzy

Something your not telling us?

(actually you probably have told us, I just don't read all the threads!! )
Old Dec 26th 2005, 2:26 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Shite!!!

What on earth do you buy ????

$1600 a month!!!! Thats still £680 gbp as a guide!
Old Dec 26th 2005, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I generally spend around $135 for 4 people which I don't think is bad at all, and we certainly eat healthier than we did in the UK, so why I have gained so much weight is beyond me lol.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 5:30 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Weekly shopping - New Slant

Something your not telling us?

(actually you probably have told us, I just don't read all the threads!! )

Hmmm well you could try this thread for a start!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339133

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 26th 2005, 11:43 pm
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion
What on earth do you buy ????

$1600 a month!!!! Thats still £680 gbp as a guide!
We tend to buy fresh rather than processed and packaged crap, it is more expensive but so much more palatable than microwave meals or hungry jacks.

We are a family of 5 with two of the kids being under 2 so there are the added costs of nappies and associated products.

I reckon at a pinch we could get our weekly shop down to an average $350 if we watched the pennies and bought the shops own brands for some products.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 12:45 am
ABCDiamond

We tend to buy fresh rather than processed and packaged crap, it is more expensive but so much more palatable than microwave meals or hungry jacks.

We are a family of 5 with two of the kids being under 2 so there are the added costs of nappies and associated products.

I reckon at a pinch we could get our weekly shop down to an average $350 if we watched the pennies and bought the shops own brands for some products.
Where exactly do you live ? We find fresh food is much cheaper than the processed and packaged stuff.

Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hmmm well you could try this thread for a start!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339133

Cheers

Buzzy

Well Jeez, now you tell me
Old Dec 27th 2005, 9:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Where exactly do you live ? We find fresh food is much cheaper than the processed and packaged stuff.
We live in Brisbane, prefer not to give out names/places on the net but it is south side.

We dont really have the time to do the butcher/baker/candle stick maker routine due to work and kids constraint on time so we like to hit coles or wherever and do the lot in one hit, the fresh stuff there tends to cost more and organic is getting obscene.

Don't want to argue over the price of shopping bills though.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:21 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Shite!!!

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.