Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weekends/time off - what exciting things have you done?

Wikiposts

Weekends/time off - what exciting things have you done?

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Weekends/time off - what exciting things have you done?

Would love to hear from people in Oz who have done different and exciting things on their time off, things they would never have done in the UK.

Anyone got any memories?

Buzzy
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:46 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weekends/time off - what exciting things have you done?

Bump fer yer...
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:23 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

4WD'ing on Sand Dunes in Port Stephens!

The Beach (a lot!) - we live just over an hour from the coast but now we're in Oz we make the effort - in the UK we lived 15 mins from the coast and never went!

Swimming in the Street Communal Pool (which is always quiet!).

and...............

Shopping - some things never change!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:47 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Would love to hear from people in Oz who have done different and exciting things on their time off, things they would never have done in the UK.

Anyone got any memories?

Buzzy
Catamaran sailing with Perth's sky line as a back drop. Learning to sail.
Watching my mate kite surf.
Dowing a bottle of red with my mates while watching the sun go down.
Teaching myself to front crawl (Swimming)...sad I know, but I had forgotten how to do it.
Not having to always worry about the weather to have a bbq.
Getting home at a decent hour enabling me to spend more time with OH and family.

A friend of mine who emigrated about 20 years ago asked me to keep in mind why I moved to Australia in the first place and what I wanted out of my life here. To make sure that I kept to that plan as it's easy to get back into the same routine.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Anyone got any memories?

Buzzy
went to fraser island drove to noosa then up the beech in my 4by to rainbow beech then onto fraser the next day you dont do things like that in the uk

some pics
Attached Thumbnails Weekends/time off - what exciting things have you done?-s4300156.jpg   Weekends/time off - what exciting things have you done?-s4300157.jpg   Weekends/time off - what exciting things have you done?-s4300168.jpg  
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

surf all year and only wear a wetsuit in winter/spring
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:57 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Weekends/time off - what exciting things have you done?

Great! Thanks guys - keep 'em coming. WOuld love to hear people's stories about bushwalking or camping in the bush....

Buzzy
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Went for a walk at Point Lookout and saw wild dolphins and spectacular beaches (North Straddie).

Took a boat up the Brisbane River to the Koala Sanctuary and took loads of photos (and no I did not cuddle one as it stresses them out).

Went bush walking in Mount Glorious which lived up to its name.

Did a 3 day trip to Frazer Island and did some awsome walks/drives across the sandunes.

The list is endless and the possibilities infinite. I love this place for that reason alone.

Sue
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suebrennan
Went for a walk at Point Lookout and saw wild dolphins
This is your first warning for posting gratuitous dolphin comments.

( )

badge - Dolphin Mod.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:30 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 2 months and seen loads of Sydney, been on bushwalks in nearby national parks and seen Lyre Birds, Echidnas, all sorts of lizards (bloody huge ones!), been diving in Sydney, went on great camping road trip over Christmas all the way up to Byron, amazing national parks, sat in my camp chair with glass of beautiful wine looking at sky full of stars in perfect silence, met SO many genuinely friendly people, spent Christmas day in pool, body boarding on boxing day, dived with 8 sharks and no end of BIG rays, incredible - can't wait for our bloody gear to arrive so we can go more often LOL, saw dolphins, dived with loggerhead turtle (HUGE), new year on a boat in Sydney harbour for the fireworks talking to an 80 year old Aussie girl with more life and drive and spirit than I've got at a third her age, the list goes on....... and on.........

Got so many things planned for the new year and even into Autumn it's unreal.

Life is good

Graham
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

During my first summer in Australia (Adelaide)...we drove up to Blanchetown on the Murray River....temperature 47c degrees. So hot I jumped into the Murray and came out covered in leeches :scared: . Never jumped into the Murray since . Friend lit a match and got them off me that way
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

S*** was I supposed to keep that quiet???
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:11 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Planted several dozen natives in the new garden!
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:41 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Weekends/time off - what exciting things have you done?

Originally Posted by Wol
Planted several dozen natives in the new garden!

Obviously the water situation isn't too bad up your way then Wol?

Buzzy
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:27 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we don't have big restrictions - yet. But we're planting most of the garden with natives, which don't need much in the way of water. The ones we put in a month ago are going gangbusters!