Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Wee Beasties are BACK!!!

The Wee Beasties are BACK!!!

Old Aug 6th 2010, 7:17 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down The Wee Beasties are BACK!!!

Ok I have noticed this last few nights that the things that were biting me back in the Summer/Autumn have woken from their slumber and are out for my blood again! I have been bitten a few times now in my sleep, anyone any suggestions as to something I could plug in/put in the bedroom to deter them from eating me!?!?!?! I really can't go through this all over again as I have some quite bad reactions to biting insects....

Thanks folks xo
Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:14 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wee Beasties are BACK!!!

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Ok I have noticed this last few nights that the things that were biting me back in the Summer/Autumn have woken from their slumber and are out for my blood again! I have been bitten a few times now in my sleep, anyone any suggestions as to something I could plug in/put in the bedroom to deter them from eating me!?!?!?! I really can't go through this all over again as I have some quite bad reactions to biting insects....

Thanks folks xo
try this
i used to put a powerboard (listen to me i'm all aussie now lol) under the table outside and plug 2 in. it works a treat. fantastic at night in a bedroom
Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

Thanks folks xo
Hi
I got bitten to bits last autumn, and tried all sorts of sprays and creams, I even bought lots of the spray lotion from Avon I read about, but then I bought the mosquito zapper (got it from the chemist) and everytime I was bitten I put it on the bite and press the button ~ it works yippeee worth a go, as I was getting so fed up with all the remedies/potions that said they would work but just didn't on me.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

peggy76 is on a distinguished road

We had those Zappers back in the UK, you could pick themup for a couple of pound. Over here your lucky if you can get them for $20. They do work though.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:18 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

when we were up at the port last week pauline was bitten all over. her sister told her to make a cross on each bite with her fingernail (dent the bite quite hard) claiming it would stop the itch. it seemed to work quite well
Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:42 am
Master of verbal pish©

better link for the zapper
http://www.mortein.com.au/product_odour_mozzie_zap.php
Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:53 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy©
Brilliant, will get one tomorrow, the wee buggers, hate em! ARGHHHH lol
Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:57 pm
Master of verbal pish©

im laughing at sues reason for deleting that last post lmao
Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

im laughing at sues reason for deleting that last post lmao
That was hilarious! Make sure you wash you hands Sue!!!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks folks xo
No suggestions but one small comfort, based on mine and my wifes experiences, is that the reaction to the bites will reduce over time. Don't get me wrong, the mozzie bites will still itch like Hell, but the inflammation and soreness will reduce as you build up some immunity to the bites.
I nearly scratched the skin off my ankles the first Summer I was here but don't have half the reaction to the bites as I used to.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

I meant the sapper you but on your skin.
www.mosquitoclick.com

its a small green thing take a look at the website, tells you allabout it
Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

I remember going to Spain / Greece on holidays and taking similar to those with us to keep the bugs at bay

Lynn xx
Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:55 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
No suggestions but one small comfort, based on mine and my wifes experiences, is that the reaction to the bites will reduce over time. Don't get me wrong, the mozzie bites will still itch like Hell, but the inflammation and soreness will reduce as you build up some immunity to the bites.
I nearly scratched the skin off my ankles the first Summer I was here but don't have half the reaction to the bites as I used to.
Thanks, that's reassuring to know! That's where my current one is, my ankle, eek! Got that mortein plug in thing this morning, they'd a liquid version as well Soapy, is that one as good? I tried the wee electric shock zapped thing once for my bites, wasn't overly impressed!? Tried crossing the bite with my thumbnail yday too but it still itched like mad in bed! Aw well lol
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:13 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to get bitten less and less each year. Maybe they like fresh pommies to eat. And as Iam says, the reaction does seem to be less bothersome over time.

Another good tip is to take a Vitamin B50 complex tablet. I forget which of the B vitamins the mozzies (and other insects) don't like but it does work. Good for when you are out and about. Vitamin B2 makes your pee bright yellow but it is nothing to worry about. Drink plenty of water (or booze!) and things return to normal.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:28 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I seem to get bitten less and less each year. Maybe they like fresh pommies to eat. And as Iam says, the reaction does seem to be less bothersome over time.

Another good tip is to take a Vitamin B50 complex tablet. I forget which of the B vitamins the mozzies (and other insects) don't like but it does work. Good for when you are out and about. Vitamin B2 makes your pee bright yellow but it is nothing to worry about. Drink plenty of water (or booze!) and things return to normal.
Oooooo that might be worth looking into as well! Hmmmmmm lol (Anyone would think they'd hate the taste of Quorn as well, but obviously not, HUMPH!) LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.