Wedding Dress - Ship It?

Wedding Dress - Ship It?

Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Oxfordshire, to the Out Laws in Bucks, to Cleveland in Brisbane
josiejo1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wedding Dress - Ship It?

Hello

Bit of an odd question, but for all those currently out there, can you tell me what you did with your wedding dress? Did you put it in the container or personal luggage?

Yes it weighs a ton, and yes I'll probably never wear it again but the sentimental value is priceless and am not sure what to do!

Also what to do with the wedding photographs? Think I'm taking them as hand luggage on the plane, but just thought I'd check the general consensus.

Cheers - Jo

By the way, yes this does mean that after 12 months of agaony we've sold the house and move out on Wednesday!
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

hongkong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wedding Dress - Ship It?

Originally posted by josiejo1974
Hello

Bit of an odd question, but for all those currently out there, can you tell me what you did with your wedding dress? Did you put it in the container or personal luggage?

Yes it weighs a ton, and yes I'll probably never wear it again but the sentimental value is priceless and am not sure what to do!

Also what to do with the wedding photographs? Think I'm taking them as hand luggage on the plane, but just thought I'd check the general consensus.

Cheers - Jo

By the way, yes this does mean that after 12 months of agaony we've sold the house and move out on Wednesday!
Hello Jo

You could wear it!!!! (you'll probably get a free upgrade)

Good luck

HK

Last edited by hongkong; Jun 6th 2004 at 10:22 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:25 pm
mick n cheryl

Hi Jo

Ship em all, dress, photo's, hubby, cats, dogs, etc,

Keep the old baggage weight down last thing you want is to be over allowance trust me

Mick n Cheryl

Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Gryff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wedding Dress - Ship It?

Originally posted by josiejo1974
Hello

Cheers - Jo

Shipped mine...haven't a clue why...but just couldn't chuck it! My Auntie made it and it just felt wrong to get rid!
Old Jun 11th 2004, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Hello

It's now in storage waiting to be shipped, also just like to say how fantastic John Mason are!

Jo
Old Jun 11th 2004, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Thought I would sell my wedding dress and matching wrap.

Unsentimental old bugger I am!

That's the theory anyway - I may well change my mind when I realise I can't bear to part with any of it!

Wedding pics to be sent wrapped up all safe and sound in the container - I figure they're much less likely to come to any harm that way...
Old Jun 11th 2004, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Ahhh, I'm taking my photographs as hand luggage, they are just a bit too precious to go in to Storage.

Jo
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:52 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I shipped both my wedding dress and my photos in the container and they were absolutely fine.

I was extremely concerned about the photos especially as they show us as a complete family before my Dad was diagnosed with cancer (just two weeks later) and subsequently died before my first wedding anniversary - Dad wasn't good with having his photo taken and they are the only ones I have of me and him together in my adult life.

But they were fine, arrived safely and weren't left on the plane like my duty free fags were!
Old Jun 11th 2004, 10:06 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

I've never even given my wedding dress a thought.....maybe that's because I've been married nearly 17 years .....christ I'd get less for murder! After my wedding, my dress went to my mothers house and that's where it's stayed...don't think I've even looked at it since I got married. How un-sentimental does that make me? (hangs head in shame...)

As for my wedding pics, I'm just going to ship 'em in with everything else. As Mick n Cheryl say, you don't want to go over your allowance. By the time you've packed all your essential stuff in your hand luggage, like copies of medical records, kids school reports, and all other essential paperwork, I reckon your bag's gonna be heavy enough!
Old Jun 11th 2004, 11:04 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I shipped my dress (and have no idea what to do with it now!) and most of my pics but put a set in the luggage....just in case!!!
Old Jun 12th 2004, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello
Try writing to yoru airline as most airlines offer extra baggage allowance if you are migrating. Need to send copy of passport and visa. You get double allowance.
We had problems with Cathay, but others havent. I wasnt able to chase it up in the end as we left quickly after the visa, but for one of you to get 40kgs instead of 20kgs - its a whole big suitcase - ideal for all those pics adn things you dont want to risk on the high seas......
Everythign is worth a try!