Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wedding dress dilemma

Wedding dress dilemma

Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:21 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough
Default Wedding dress dilemma

Started the painful process of sorting everything out for The Big Move - getting hubby to chuck anything is proving hard work!

My main dilemma (at the moment) is what do I do with my wedding dress?

The shoes are silk and are grass stained quite badly ( I am presuming NZ won't let them in?) so I am not too upset about those but what do I do about the dress?

It is unlikely that I am ever going to get in it again and it would be difficult to convert it into any kind of ballgown type thing ( and how many balls am I going to attend in NZ? ) but I am a bit reluctant to chuck it.

What have other people done with theirs?
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:24 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wedding dress dilemma

Originally posted by Pollster
Started the painful process of sorting everything out for The Big Move - getting hubby to chuck anything is proving hard work!

The shoes are silk and are grass stained quite badly ( I am presuming NZ won't let them in?) so I am not too upset about those but what do I do about the dress?

It is unlikely that I am ever going to get in it again and it would be difficult to convert it into any kind of ballgown type thing ( and how many balls am I going to attend in NZ? ) but I am a bit reluctant to chuck it.

You could try selling it, local paper, ebay. give it to charity. Do wedding dress hire places buy used gowns?
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:25 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

lol!

Mine is red, and can maybe (if I fit in it) be worn at a christmas party again.
Here I would never where it again, but in Oz maybe. You have more posh dress up party things there than here in Holland.
Like in Oz you have your graduation ceremonies and stuff (even for year 7!) You don't have that kind of stuff here either.

Anyway, just take it! It's not that much room, so...
Nice memory right?
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Have bought mine along , its been 15 years and im still carting it around with us , i cant throw it out or sell it i love it but will one day have to do something , might sell it , shawnie my daughter said " im not wearing that , when i get married " oh i said , she might change her mind , or a i could have it made into a christning gown when the kids have babies will see. For now though its all wrapped up in the box it came in , tiara and all .
Joanne
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:13 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

brought mine with me too. cant get it over my backside i dont think!...but couldnt part with it for the world.
looks terribly old fashioned nowadays..been married for 20 yrs. maybe it'll be back in fashion by the time my daughters get around to getting married..if ever!!!!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:16 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

I just sold mine on Ebay - got £50 for it. I can't see the point in hanging onto things like this really, but I know some people have to keep them for sentimental reasons. If you are going to keep it you should really get it dry cleaned and stored in acid free paper. They would put it in a large box for you at the cleaners too so it would make taking it easier.

Max
Old Jan 6th 2004, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

My wife's is still in the wardrobe - only 18mths since the wedding so its safe for a long while yet !

I thought the idea was to keep it until your daughter is old enough to hack it up and dye it black ?? I am sure that is what happened to my mum's !

Not sure what the plan will be if we have no daughters...I suppose our son can always rip the sleeves of and use to play Aussie Rules...then again, maybe not !
Old Jan 6th 2004, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sjn2003
My wife's is still in the wardrobe - only 18mths since the wedding so its safe for a long while yet !
I had to reread that twice to catch the "is" as well as the " 's "

I love the idea of your son climbing his teammates to catch a high ball with his train flowing! lmao
Old Jan 6th 2004, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by CHnJ
I had to reread that twice to catch the "is" as well as the " 's "

I love the idea of your son climbing his teammates to catch a high ball with his train flowing! lmao

LOL

Now what kind of husband would keep his lovely wife in a wardrobe for 18 mths ?? (She may read this later, so I thought I would just point that out !).
Old Jan 6th 2004, 4:44 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly will be taking it with me. Not only is it special for being a wedding dress, but I also designed and made it, and it was a lot of bloody hard work just to throw it out.

I made it in 3 bits (bodice, skirt and train) with the idea that I would wear the top and/or skirt again, as I usually go to a posh frocks do at least once a year. However I tend to drink at little at these do and did want myself (or any one else) spilling their drink on my dress - so have yet to find occasion to wear it again, and have still several meters of material left that I have done nothing with. At the moment hanging up wrapped in acid free tissue paper.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm taking mine, although my bridesmaids shoe dye ran on the train so I couldnt possibly wear the skirt without a major re-design! I still love it 5 years later, though the shoes, veil, tiara etc have all been sacrificed.

Pollster, we started the clearout a couple of weeks ago too, its very painful getting the men to part with stuff!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Keep it! as i said on the 'hubby' thread, i waited 12 years for Mark to marry me, so its coming with me! also i may have it made into a cocktail dress as i got married in Tobago so the dress is light, shoestring straps with diamond/pearl bodice. Don't let it go you will regret it i am sure!
rach
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, not something I had thought about 'til I read this thread. Suppose i should get rid, new life and all that, added to the fact that 15 layers of tulle skirt would probably take up my entire baggage allowance!

seems a waste to let it go, but a waste to cart it along with all our other sentimental stuff too. I'm never going to wear it again and i'm sure my little girl won't want it.

Anyone want to buy a wedding dress?!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:16 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Simone82
lol!

Mine is red, and can maybe (if I fit in it) be worn at a christmas party again.
Here I would never where it again, but in Oz maybe. You have more posh dress up party things there than here in Holland.
Like in Oz you have your graduation ceremonies and stuff (even for year 7!) You don't have that kind of stuff here either.

Anyway, just take it! It's not that much room, so...
Nice memory right?
Is the red wedding dress a Dutch thing? I worked with a Dutch girl who also got married in red. Personally I liked the change as a lot of the marriage industry stuff is overdone and boring.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:24 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Is the red wedding dress a Dutch thing? I worked with a Dutch girl who also got married in red. Personally I liked the change as a lot of the marriage industry stuff is overdone and boring.
Definetly not!
It's usually just cream/white. Though it all is usually a bit less overdone than other countries/movies. You usually don't have bridesmaids, or a layered wedding cake. And maybe some other 'american' ? stuf.

I actually wanted purple but couldn't find a nice one for a reasonable price!
It had to stay cheap, migrating is much more important!