Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Webcams / Microsoft Messenger

Webcams / Microsoft Messenger

Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:34 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Webcams / Microsoft Messenger / Net Meeting

I am hoping someone can help with my query.

I'm not the most technically minded when it comes to the internet and computers but I need information on the best way to use my PC and a webcam to be able to communicate with family and friends when we arrive in Oz.

Argos do a range of webcams with microphones - can anyone give me an idea how and where to use this ? I have read about Microsoft Messenger or Net Meeting but don't know too much about it. Is it possible to actually view and speak to people 'live' one-to-one ?

I use Windows 98 and my parents use Windows XP - are both these compatable with a webcam (with internal microphone) and exactly how easy to use ?

I would like to get it all sorted out before we leave so my parents don't have problems installing it after we leave.

It sounds a great idea and must save a fortune in phone bills, plus you are actually talking to a 'live' person which will help relieve any homesickness.

Any techies or people that know about this please post replies - I'll keep an eye out for replies and ensure cold beers to those kind people when we arrive in Brisbane .

Cheers and see you late August.

Last edited by irishmolly; Jun 12th 2004 at 5:47 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Polly58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Webcams / Microsoft Messenger / Net Meeting

We are in exactly the same situation. I have just bought 2 logitech messenger webcams and have set one up on our machine and the other on Mum's. We went into www.msn.com then selected messenger. We then set both of us up with hotmail accounts. You then put the others hotmail account in as your contact. As soon as you go online you can set it so that it automatically connects to MSN, then there is a pop up message which appears telling you when any of your contacts have come on line. You can then click on their name and there are buttons for "webcam" and "invite them to a conversation". We successfully managed to see each other but only the computer with XP could hear the ones with the windows 98 computer. I haven't got to the bottom of this yet and our computer is being shipped on Monday - I too was hoping to sort this out before we left. Therefore I'll be watching the responses to this thread hoping that someone can help us!

Good luck

Sonia
Old Jun 12th 2004, 6:08 pm
mickj

Exactly my point, it seems all the IT people have left the UK, and there is no one left there, to sort out the technical problems, we are all on here now

Yes 98 and XP are compatible. Get a nice little digital webcam, one at your local computer fair for £10-20 will do, it comes as a plug-n-play these days, so there is no need for drivers and all that malarkey.

Load up your yahoo, msn, aim or whatever, and off you go. You can see the person you are talking to live.

Now make sure that cheque is in the post, address hasn't changed from last time

Check this out for the future:

www.skype.com

Originally posted by irishmolly

I'm not the most technically minded when it comes to the internet and computers but I need information on the best way to use my PC and a webcam to be able to communicate with family and friends when we arrive in Oz.

Argos do a range of webcams with microphones - can anyone give me an idea how and where to use this ? I have read about Microsoft Messenger or Net Meeting but don't know too much about it. Is it possible to actually view and speak to people 'live' one-to-one ?

I use Windows 98 and my parents use Windows XP - are both these compatable with a webcam (with internal microphone) and exactly how easy to use ?

I would like to get it all sorted out before we leave so my parents don't have problems installing it after we leave.

It sounds a great idea and must save a fortune in phone bills, plus you are actually talking to a 'live' person which will help relieve any homesickness.

Any techies or people that know about this please post replies - I'll keep an eye out for replies and ensure cold beers to those kind people when we arrive in Brisbane .

Last edited by mickj; Jun 12th 2004 at 6:15 pm.

Old Jun 12th 2004, 6:38 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Molly, MSN Messenger will let you do this BUT it does depend on your internet connection and other equipment you use. If you are both on dial up internet then voice and video together will be dog slow, the viideo will be jerky and the sound broken.

If you are on broadband and use a router (not a modem) then the router has to be uPnP (don't ask, just trust me ), otherwise it cannot handle the way Messenger does sound.

As mickj has sggested, use Skype for sound. This DOES work happily with any internet setup but doesn't have video.
You can use MSN for video and Skype for sound. I tried this recently with father-in-law (he has a dial up connection) and it was not bad but not great either.

Hope this helps!

PS Come on Boro!!
Old Jun 12th 2004, 7:52 pm
Go Banana's !!

Talking Webcams

Spoooooky

I/we are also looking to set one up as when I come back to the UK I will want to communicate with Jill and the little 'un most days from my desk at work !

However, I don't know anyone else with a webcam at the moment and after just setting one up this morning I would like to test it out......does anyone fancy being a guinea pig ??? If so please drop me a PM so I can see if we can it to work.

All help gratefully received ??

Best wishes

Warren
Perth 2004....twice !!

Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:31 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Webcams

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Spoooooky

I/we are also looking to set one up as when I come back to the UK I will want to communicate with Jill and the little 'un most days from my desk at work !

However, I don't know anyone else with a webcam at the moment and after just setting one up this morning I would like to test it out......does anyone fancy being a guinea pig ??? If so please drop me a PM so I can see if we can it to work.

All help gratefully received ??

Best wishes

Warren
Perth 2004....twice !!

I just wanted to say a very big thank you to Wayen for halping me set up and do my first ever webcam.

Best wishes
Warren

Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:33 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Webcams

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
I just wanted to say a very big thank you to Wayen for halping me set up and do my first ever webcam.

Best wishes
Warren
No worries mate!
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:19 pm
mickj

Let's know how you get on, on this one !

Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We have had the webcam working to friends who have Xp but could not get it working with my Mum who has 98. The speaking thing is the best bit anyway you can talk just like you are on the phone for free.

I think it is more important what version of MSN Messenger they have loaded on. It only works when they have the newest version.

We only have dial up here and so do the people in Uk but it still works.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:59 pm
mickj

It's not much the version of messenger, it could be the version of windows. You said your mum runs 98, first or second edition? That could be the problem, the 2nd is more stable than the 1st !

There is always Linux of course, to get into this, get knoppix for free, you don't even need to install it, you can just run it from a bootable CD, if you like it, then get SUSE !

Originally posted by tinaj
We have had the webcam working to friends who have Xp but could not get it working with my Mum who has 98. The speaking thing is the best bit anyway you can talk just like you are on the phone for free.

I think it is more important what version of MSN Messenger they have loaded on. It only works when they have the newest version.

We only have dial up here and so do the people in Uk but it still works.

Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally posted by mickj
It's not much the version of messenger,
Yeah, big improvements on the webcam side in version 6.x. Make sure both ends have the latest one (currently 6.2).
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mickj
It's not much the version of messenger, it could be the version of windows. You said your mum runs 98, first or second edition? That could be the problem, the 2nd is more stable than the 1st !

There is always Linux of course, to get into this, get knoppix for free, you don't even need to install it, you can just run it from a bootable CD, if you like it, then get SUSE !
And this works with Messenger?
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:08 pm
mickj

Windows update also helps, for compatibility. For those hating explorer at the moment, there is always OPERA. The free version has some ads, but to get the ads free version, it costs $39. People you know, might be able to sort you out somehow, if you know what I mean

Originally posted by wmoore
Yeah, big improvements on the webcam side in version 6.x. Make sure both ends have the latest one (currently 6.2).

Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JackTheLad
And this works with Messenger?
Oh umm

That wasn't meant to be sarcastic

I'm also going through the same dilemma. I bought M&D a laptop, and will get them a webcam etc. Their laptop has XP obviously. Our desktop in Oz can have anything I want on it, but to interact, its probably going to have to be some flavour of windows.

We've be looking into Skype for the Telephony over IP stuff, but I'd love the Webcam bit as well, just need to keep researching. If anyones sorted it out, would love to hear,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:14 pm
mickj

Well....sarchasm won't get you an answer, I usually charge people for this kind of advice and work, got a mortgage to pay and all that

Originally posted by JackTheLad
Oh umm

That wasn't meant to be sarcastic

I'm also going through the same dilemma. I bought M&D a laptop, and will get them a webcam etc. Their laptop has XP obviously. Our desktop in Oz can have anything I want on it, but to interact, its probably going to have to be some flavour of windows.

We've be looking into Skype for the Telephony over IP stuff, but I'd love the Webcam bit as well, just need to keep researching. If anyones sorted it out, would love to hear,

Cheers,
JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.