Webcams

Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Webcams

Looking ahead to when we go, can anyone give advice re: their experience of webcams and their usefulness?

Do you need broadband to make one work properly?
I believe USB 2.0 is the standard now on PC's which is supposed to be loads faster than USB 1.0 - does this make them better as my only experience was a USB 1.0 cam using dial up connection and it was rubbish.

Cheers,

Cadman
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice
Default Re: Webcams

Originally Posted by cadman
Looking ahead to when we go, can anyone give advice re: their experience of webcams and their usefulness?

Do you need broadband to make one work properly?
I believe USB 2.0 is the standard now on PC's which is supposed to be loads faster than USB 1.0 - does this make them better as my only experience was a USB 1.0 cam using dial up connection and it was rubbish.

Cheers,

Cadman
Ideally you need Broadband. Webcams over a 56k dialup link are not going to be that good although you can optimise things a bit. THe USB1/2 issue is not going to make any real difference.

Webcams are a great way for keeping in touch with people if they also have a webcam and a broadband connection. That together with using a Headset and something like Skype make the whole experience a totally new thing instead of just sending the odd email.

I use Skype/Webcam extensively and would be lost without it!

Alex
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Alex,

It's likely that my in-laws might be persuaded to get broadband (even though they claim to be poor pensioners!) but I doubt my mum will be able to afford it / want it / need it.

Might be easier/better to burn dvd's of life in Oz and post them home.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

Thanks Alex,

It's likely that my in-laws might be persuaded to get broadband (even though they claim to be poor pensioners!) but I doubt my mum will be able to afford it / want it / need it.

Might be easier/better to burn dvd's of life in Oz and post them home.
Rather than burn and post CD's with photos on them a lot of ISP's and other web providers are now offering free personal photo websites where you can put your photo's on a personal website for others to look at. Your relatives would not need broadband to see your pictures etc. then and it would be a lot cheaper and quicker.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 2:08 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Wanadoo have a photo album thing where you can upload your pics and if you give your rellies a password they can log in and have a look - not sure if you can access Wanadoo from Oz but I assume so.

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk
Old Feb 7th 2005, 2:23 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few weblog programs you can have for free now where you can keep a diary and add pictures too. I haven't done it yet, but that is what I will do.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, to clarify the DVD's - I was thinking more for video diaries from us and the kids to grandparents, footage of days out and such like. Much better to see "real live" people although I take plenty of still pics too.

(I already have a Yahoo photos account, and it's great, no limit on no. of albums, no limit to size of files etc. and all free!!)

Cadman
Old Feb 7th 2005, 6:22 pm
Now..just your usual Pom

C.Owen is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, to clarify the DVD's - I was thinking more for video diaries from us and the kids to grandparents, footage of days out and such like. Much better to see "real live" people although I take plenty of still pics too.

(I already have a Yahoo photos account, and it's great, no limit on no. of albums, no limit to size of files etc. and all free!!)

Cadman
I use a Logitech webcam .... and it's quite good quality, i also use dial up on a 56k modem , when i'm on to my relies in Brisbane they can see the small detail in the picture hanging on the wall at the moment i use it with Yahoo messenger ....
Which is ok.... but sometimes the sound quality breaks up, as tho you haven't managed to get a clear line, some calls are much better than others, on ocasions it clears if you knock the web cam off and just chat !! this could be down to the modem link maybe, broadband should be much betteri would have thought.

Alex
I tied Skype yesterday ... not sure if i'm impressed or not yet, will test on cousin at w/end
Aslo ... can you use a web cam on this Skype ? as i don't see it has any means of launching one ???
Old Feb 7th 2005, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Originally Posted by C.Owen
I use a Logitech webcam .... and it's quite good quality, i also use dial up on a 56k modem , when i'm on to my relies in Brisbane they can see the small detail in the picture hanging on the wall at the moment i use it with Yahoo messenger ....
Which is ok.... but sometimes the sound quality breaks up, as tho you haven't managed to get a clear line, some calls are much better than others, on ocasions it clears if you knock the web cam off and just chat !! this could be down to the modem link maybe, broadband should be much betteri would have thought.

Alex
I tied Skype yesterday ... not sure if i'm impressed or not yet, will test on cousin at w/end
Aslo ... can you use a web cam on this Skype ? as i don't see it has any means of launching one ???
Use MSN Messenger for the web cam, and Skype for the voice.. Not as cumbersome as it might sound!!!!

(You can use voice on MSN Messenger however it has quite a few problems with Firewalls that Skype doesn't)

Trust me, Skype is a fantastic program!

Alex
Old Feb 7th 2005, 6:50 pm
Now..just your usual Pom

C.Owen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alex Hall
Use MSN Messenger for the web cam, and Skype for the voice.. Not as cumbersome as it might sound!!!!

(You can use voice on MSN Messenger however it has quite a few problems with Firewalls that Skype doesn't)

Trust me, Skype is a fantastic program!

Alex
Alex
So wots the process then ????

Run both programs together using the webcam on MSN messenger, and fire up the Skype for the chat with the microphones.
Sounds too easy .... or am i missing something ?

If that's the case then great, i'll give it a whirl this weekend
Old Feb 7th 2005, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C.Owen
Alex
So wots the process then ????

Run both programs together using the webcam on MSN messenger, and fire up the Skype for the chat with the microphones.
Sounds too easy .... or am i missing something ?

If that's the case then great, i'll give it a whirl this weekend
Its that easy... except...

The person needs to set up a (free) user account on both Skype and Messenger..

Alex
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

Alex is right, I too use msn and skype together it works brillliantly, and you can also hold conference calls with skype, so if you have more than just the two people wanting to have a conversation then that can be done too, hope that you get on well with it!!

Claire