British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   webcam/laptop question....please help!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/webcam-laptop-question-please-help-373169/)

philian4 May 12th 2006 8:00 pm

webcam/laptop question....please help!!!

Hi All, ages since i last posted. We use our webcam frequently and have no problems only when we try to talk to my mum. She uses a laptop. Does this make a difference?? :confused: The squealing noise is unbearable.....we don't even bother anymore :( she tried using headphones/mic, bought a new webcam, nothing helps. Any suggestions or tips??
Thanks
Phil

andydon May 12th 2006 8:21 pm

Re: webcam/laptop question....please help!!!

Phil

Shouldn't make a difference that she is using a laptop, i use mine all the time. Couple of things -
Is video OK? but sound bad or both poor.
does she have the latest driver (piece of software to tell windows what kind of device you are using) for the sound on her laptop.
does she using broadband?

cheers

Andy

Originally Posted by philian4
Hi All, ages since i last posted. We use our webcam frequently and have no problems only when we try to talk to my mum. She uses a laptop. Does this make a difference?? :confused: The squealing noise is unbearable.....we don't even bother anymore :( she tried using headphones/mic, bought a new webcam, nothing helps. Any suggestions or tips??
Thanks
Phil

uk4canada May 12th 2006 8:24 pm

Thanks
Phil

Have you tried to use either a headset or earphones? I have had the same problems, and it was cured by me using the headphones. the feedback from the speakers was caused by having the volume at my mums end to high. If she turned it down she couldn't hear. hope it helps. :)

philian4 May 12th 2006 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by andydon
Phil

Shouldn't make a difference that she is using a laptop, i use mine all the time. Couple of things -
Is video OK? but sound bad or both poor.
does she have the latest driver (piece of software to tell windows what kind of device you are using) for the sound on her laptop.
does she using broadband?

cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,
She uses broadband, video is good, sound awful -as for the driver no idea :confused: but the computer is 18 months old.
cheers,
Phil

philian4 May 12th 2006 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by uk4canada
Have you tried to use either a headset or earphones? I have had the same problems, and it was cured by me using the headphones. the feedback from the speakers was caused by having the volume at my mums end to high. If she turned it down she couldn't hear. hope it helps. :)

Hi,
we haven't tried headphones as we've presumed the problem was her end as we don't have a problem with anyone else!
We've tried all combinations of volume up and down on either side but as soon as we have any bearly audible sound coming thru the sqealing starts.
Cheers,
Phil

steve`o May 12th 2006 8:35 pm

Hi,
we haven't tried headphones as we've presumed the problem was her end as we don't have a problem with anyone else!
We've tried all combinations of volume up and down on either side but as soon as we have any bearly audible sound coming thru the sqealing starts.
Cheers,
Phil

it does sound like feedback
ie mic and speakers to close to each other

Nikki May 12th 2006 8:44 pm

Thanks
Phil

Hi Phil

I have the same problem when speaking to my Dad, I am in the UK using a laptop and my Dad is in Australia. Sound is awful, high pitched screeching noise.

My son has no problems when using the webcam with sound with his friends.

I thought it was just us too! I would like to solve the mystery as we are moving to Austalia in September and the webcam will be instrumental for my Mum who will be in the UK to communicate with my kids.

Nikki

biggy May 12th 2006 8:53 pm

with a laptop you need to use a proper headset, as you get very bad feedback off the speakers. You also have to mute the mic on the webcam if it has one.....I have an in built webcam on lappy and had to mute the mic on the laptop .

Hope this helps

Hutch May 12th 2006 8:55 pm

Many webcams have a built in microphone - so even if you think you're using a desktop mic, you may in fact be using the one in the camera. If you look in Skype's options window, under Sound Devices, you can set what you want to use.

suzimc May 13th 2006 1:57 am

Thanks
Phil

Have you tried using any different programmes? For some reason when I speak to certain people on skype I get feedback, but speak to them on MSN and it's as clear as a whistle, but for others skype is perfect. I think it's just a case of trial and error....

Irish Aussie Teen May 13th 2006 6:33 am

Thanks
Phil

We are the exact same!When we are talkin to my granny the sound was so bad she even bought a new laptop! We think it might be to do with her internet connection not being strong enough.Get her to ring the internet suppliers and ask them about it!
Hope that helped!

Shannon x :)

philian4 May 13th 2006 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Irish Aussie Teen
We are the exact same!When we are talkin to my granny the sound was so bad she even bought a new laptop! We think it might be to do with her internet connection not being strong enough.Get her to ring the internet suppliers and ask them about it!
Hope that helped!

Shannon x :)

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies (on Nights so sleeping and only just read them!)

Glad I'm not the only one having problems.....thought I was going mad! We use MSN usually, I'll try getting her to mute the mic and put the headphones on again, then skype, then standing on her head!!!!! Just a shame the one person the kids really want to chat too and we get all this hassle!

Phil x :beer:

Hutch May 13th 2006 10:23 am

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies (on Nights so sleeping and only just read them!)

Glad I'm not the only one having problems.....thought I was going mad! We use MSN usually, I'll try getting her to mute the mic and put the headphones on again, then skype, then standing on her head!!!!! Just a shame the one person the kids really want to chat too and we get all this hassle!

Phil x :beer:

If you're fairly clued up PC-wise you could always remotely connect to her PC via MSN's Remote Assistance facility. :)

philian4 May 13th 2006 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
If you're fairly clued up PC-wise you could always remotely connect to her PC via MSN's Remote Assistance facility. :)

Never even thought of that.....I'll look into it.....she normally has to get a friend round to help. :)