Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Webcam, can they be used on dialup??

Wikiposts

Webcam, can they be used on dialup??

Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:11 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Question Webcam, can they be used on dialup??

Hi,
we're having a right old game with the webcam, we can see and hear others and they can see but not hear us. We can send video messages no problem so i know the camera's ok. Any advice?

We're waiting to have Broadband installed-apparently we're on a pair gain system for the phone line(?????) and we need a 'man who can' to set it up??!!

Cheers,

Phil x
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:24 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Webcam, can they be used on dialup??

Originally Posted by philian4

Hi,
we're having a right old game with the webcam, we can see and hear others and they can see but not hear us. We can send video messages no problem so i know the camera's ok. Any advice?

We're waiting to have Broadband installed-apparently we're on a pair gain system for the phone line(?????) and we need a 'man who can' to set it up??!!

Cheers,

Phil x
Yes a dial-up connection will work. It would be far better if you could actually get someone to come around your house and check your settings if you are not that computer literate. They are simple to use but can be a pain in th @rse if you are a technophobe!

Good luck,

R.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:27 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Webcam, can they be used on dialup??

Originally Posted by Carruss
Yes a dial-up connection will work. It would be far better if you could actually get someone to come around your house and check your settings if you are not that computer literate. They are simple to use but can be a pain in th @rse if you are a technophobe!

Good luck,

R.

Cheers! They're unbelievably baisc so i can't understand why the blasted thing won't work properly!!! Feel a bit of a prat sitting nodding and shaking my head to answer my mum's questions-which she shouts at her camera as she thinks we can't hear her (bless her!)

Phil x
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Webcam, can they be used on dialup??

Originally Posted by philian4

Hi,

Cheers,

Phil x

Phil,
Generally Webcam requires Broadband to work properly. Video signal works well at 256K and above. the higher the better. Voice requires less . Not sure what your dial up speed is, but in UK its only 54k. If you are receiving video, but not voice, its probally not enough bandwidth on your Dial up to do both video and Voice. The best combination for webcams is, Webcam using MSN messenger, and voice using SKYPE. This is a very good free service which offers voice over IP. I would log onto www.skype.com download the software and use this to talk with webcam. Still think the problem is bandwidth.

Good luck
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:38 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Webcam, can they be used on dialup??

Maybe a stupid question, but does your Webcam (or something else on your computer) have a microphone? I know my laptop doesn't but my desktop does. I usually use Start->Programs->Accessories->Entertainment->Sound Recorder to check if the microphone works (or even exists).

Regards
Alistair
Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:55 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Phil,
Generally Webcam requires Broadband to work properly. Video signal works well at 256K and above. the higher the better. Voice requires less . Not sure what your dial up speed is, but in UK its only 54k. If you are receiving video, but not voice, its probally not enough bandwidth on your Dial up to do both video and Voice. The best combination for webcams is, Webcam using MSN messenger, and voice using SKYPE. This is a very good free service which offers voice over IP. I would log onto www.skype.com download the software and use this to talk with webcam. Still think the problem is bandwidth.

Good luck

Hi,
thanks for that! I will check it out, on MSN already so I'll check out SKYPE. Thick question but I assume you use the two simultaneously??

I was thinking it was the bandwidth (with my limited knowledge of technology, we had broadband for a long time in the UK and boy do I miss it!!

Phil x
Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:58 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Smile Re: Webcam, can they be used on dialup??

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Maybe a stupid question, but does your Webcam (or something else on your computer) have a microphone? I know my laptop doesn't but my desktop does. I usually use Start->Programs->Accessories->Entertainment->Sound Recorder to check if the microphone works (or even exists).

Regards
Alistair
Hi Alistair,

Yes it has a mike....as I said we can record video messages and I have checked all the volume settings etc, it's just sooooooo frustrating

Cheers,

Phil x
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:35 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

So you can see and hear your mum but she cant ehar you but can see you. Its not a bandwith issue cos she would be able to hear you but it would be broken and the video feed will be very slow. Have you tried to have a conversation without vidoe on MSN. We use and sound is very good.

You can record a video message but I am guessing this is with another program so you will have to check your audio setting in MSN. Goto Tools then run the Audio/video wizard. May help.

If that doesnt work make sure your mum has her hearing aid in and that her speakers are turn on and up.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:35 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian

If that doesnt work make sure your mum has her hearing aid in and that her speakers are turn on and up.

You must've read my mind!!!!! I did ring her to double check she had at least turned the speakers on!!!!! Hearing aid on her Christmas list!!

Don't want to speak too soon but I've fiddled and pressed lots of buttons and found something (can't remember what it was called-this is why I'm so thick with technology-no memory!!) and it said it wasn't working properly or something so I'm going to try again when the old dear wakes up!!!

Wish I could remember what it was I did cos if it works I could start a thread about it and impress any other technophobes who are fiddling with their equipment!!!!!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:58 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

I've used MSN Messenger, with dial up at both ends, and had mixed results.
It has worked with both sound and video at the same time, but only after installing the latest version of messenger. Check on the Microsoft site.

It's not just you having the problem, try doing a search for problems with messenger. Whether it is or isn't bandwidth, I don't know. Certainly it would help matters to be on BB.