Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Web sites for downloading UK TV?

Wikiposts

Web sites for downloading UK TV?

Old Dec 18th 2007, 7:32 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Web sites for downloading UK TV?

Originally Posted by silver
Checked it out tonight. USB Key does work, cbia to move my external HD and try that as well but would assume as long as its formatted fat32 then it would work. I have no idea if xbox360 supports external disks formatted NTFS wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't but google would be the best bet to check that.
The boys are getting an XBox 360 Arcade for Christmas so I will try out one of my WD Passport USB2.0 drives and let you know.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 7:27 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

For those interested, in a move to balance the universe after Microsoft recently released DivX playback capability on the XBox 360, Sony have just released DivX playback on the PS3.

The latest 2.10 system update is now available and includes playback of DivX and VC-1, which is the SMPTE standard (421M) for Windows Media Video 9.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 5:17 pm
No Clean Feed

OK, I have now tested various copyright free DivX files with various audio codecs on both machines using a 160GB WD Passport external USB2.0 hard disk.

Test Environment

Both machines connected via HDMI to a 40" Sony Bravia X Series 1080p HD LCD. Both running in 1080p mode for the interface resolution with the latest updates (2.10 for PS3 and Dec Dashboard for 360). The media files were served from a small 160GB WD Passport external USB2.0 hard disk which was also powered by the USB connection turning both machines into 160GB video jukeboxes.

XBox 360

The XBox played back all DivX files successfully. However, it tried to play each in standard resolution mode initially, which means that you have a tiny picture in the middle of the screen. You can "zoom" the image to a variety of scales (zoomed, fullscreen, etc) all were watchable but the quality was noticeably poor and blocky.

My Rating: 7/10

Playstation 3

The PS3 also played back all DivX files successfully. It also appeared a little blocky, but not as bad as the 360 and it automatically scaled the source video resolution to match the screen size, so no manual adjustment. The PS3 also offers manual scaling adjustments if required.

My Rating: 8/10

Verdict

While having this ability certainly makes the option of using one of these devices as your true media hub, the quality of the upscaling was so poor that the Philips DVP-5960 DVD Player with HDMI, USB and DivX playback really proved to have the better picture. It also offers full HD upscaling of DVD and DivX content but does so in a much neater package than both the PS3 and the 360. It is just a pity that the Philips only has an unpowered USB1.0 which can cause stuttering when the source is variable bitrate encoded (VBR) and there is a lot of noise on screen (rain, moving past a chain fence, etc)

The quality of playback on both machines might be considerably better when they are set to much lower resolutions but this, in my opinion, defeats the point of having a full HD interface on a gaming console if you have to manually adjust the resolution each time you want to watch a film.

Last edited by bigAPE; Dec 19th 2007 at 5:20 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

itsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really nice

Jimmie Nail in Crocodile Shoes is on Uk Nova
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

tipp1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if this site has already been mentioned but I think its pretty good.
www.tvcatchup.com
It's worth a try anyway.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

I have a couple of invites if anyone still needs them - PM me x
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
I have a couple of invites if anyone still needs them - PM me x
If you are replying to the previous post you haven't used tvcatchup for a while - the site is currently closed :curse:

Dear Member

In recent days, TVCatchup has become aware of the Broadcaster's (BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Five) increasing concerns over the free personal recording functionality that this website offers.

On 15th February, our hosting was terminated without warning and we presume this was at the request of such Broadcasters.

Given that this will no doubt happen again, TVCatchup has therefore voluntarily suspended its services whilst the concerns of the Broadcasters are addressed.

We apologise to all for this temporary interuption to service.

This page will provide a service update as matters progress.
TVCatchup.com
16th February 2008
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cj321
If you are replying to the previous post you haven't used tvcatchup for a while - the site is currently closed :curse:

Dear Member

In recent days, TVCatchup has become aware of the Broadcaster's (BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Five) increasing concerns over the free personal recording functionality that this website offers.

On 15th February, our hosting was terminated without warning and we presume this was at the request of such Broadcasters.

Given that this will no doubt happen again, TVCatchup has therefore voluntarily suspended its services whilst the concerns of the Broadcasters are addressed.

We apologise to all for this temporary interuption to service.

This page will provide a service update as matters progress.
TVCatchup.com
16th February 2008
No regarding thebox