Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Web sites for downloading UK TV?

Wikiposts

Web sites for downloading UK TV?

Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:54 pm
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Web sites for downloading UK TV?

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
Thanks guys.

Seems to have downloaded ok - telling me it's completed. But in the Dashboard in Azereus, the Play option is not available at the bottom. Only the Delete option.

So how do I play the thing then?
Sussed it. For some perverse reason, I have to right click, open in Explorer, and play from there (Real Player).

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:32 am
Just Joined

Sherry2k will become famous soon enoughSherry2k will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Web sites for downloading UK TV?

Originally Posted by itsjustmee
http://www.demonoid.com gets a lot of UK stuff

be careful with the box you can get banned very quickly

A Yorkshire "lass" so far from Home

Hiya - my first post!!! Demonoid is down just now as they've been shut down by some kinda official group re. anti-piracy. I reckon they'll be back soon though. Word is they're relocating to another country - or at least the main server is. Try www.Mininova.org. Demonoid is my favourite but when I'm watching American Shows and can't wait till next week, I download them here at Mininova. In fact in some cases I'm way ahead of UK TV....... naughty I know! Try and download AVI files as they're less complicated to watch if you're watching them on your computer. If you're putting them onto disc, it has to be converted to dvd format. I'm no expert but that's what I do. Save them to your external hard drive and just watch them on the PC at your leisure.

Still in UK - just got paperwork through re. moving (feel sick!) lol

All the best.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:10 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

People stopped copying the AVI files onto CD-R/RW a couple of years back because it was just such a pain in the arse.

There are several cheap (<£100) DVD players on the market that offer DivX/XVid compatibility and also have a USB socket on the front. I know that LG and Philips have one. The Philips DVP-5960 offers two USB sockets (front and back), excellent compatibility with all DivX standards and even an HDMI output for the latest HD LCD/Plasma TV's which does a not half bad attempt at upscaling your DVD's to HD.

The fastest way to watch these sort of downloaded programmes (not that I would do this of course, because it might be construed as an admission of guilt in downloading illegal copyright material) is to download the DivX encoded AVI file, copy it to a USB stick and stick it in the USB socket on the front of the TV, then just play the file from there.

There are USB sticks up to 16GB available now and if you're really lucky you might find a player with the holy, a powered USB socket, so that you can attach a small portable HD (like the 320GB WD Passport) to the player and turn it into a Video Jukebox!

Not that I have ever done anything like this of course.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:11 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
People stopped copying the AVI files onto CD-R/RW a couple of years back because it was just such a pain in the arse.

There are several cheap (<£100) DVD players on the market that offer DivX/XVid compatibility and also have a USB socket on the front. I know that LG and Philips have one. The Philips DVP-5960 offers two USB sockets (front and back), excellent compatibility with all DivX standards and even an HDMI output for the latest HD LCD/Plasma TV's which does a not half bad attempt at upscaling your DVD's to HD.

The fastest way to watch these sort of downloaded programmes (not that I would do this of course, because it might be construed as an admission of guilt in downloading illegal copyright material) is to download the DivX encoded AVI file, copy it to a USB stick and stick it in the USB socket on the front of the TV, then just play the file from there.

There are USB sticks up to 16GB available now and if you're really lucky you might find a player with the holy, a powered USB socket, so that you can attach a small portable HD (like the 320GB WD Passport) to the player and turn it into a Video Jukebox!

I have the LG and it is so damn easy just chucking a USB stick in the front. Best thing I ever bought.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:14 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm... I must try this Bot Torrent thing out one day

I have heard that the LG has some trouble with .STR Subtitle files and AAC encoded DivX ?

Last edited by bigAPE; Dec 13th 2007 at 9:24 am.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Jessy69 is on a distinguished road

People stopped burning disks a couple of years back get a xbox360 and stream directly from PC.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Sherry2k will become famous soon enoughSherry2k will become famous soon enough

I had a divx player - I'm looking at it now, ready for the bin. It was pants and only worked a few times.

Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherry2k
I had a divx player - I'm looking at it now, ready for the bin. It was pants and only worked a few times.

I got a divx player off ebay for less that AUD $60 and stuck an old second hand IDE drive in it - its brillant. Connect the USB to the PC, transfer the file then connect the S-Video lead to the TV.

The leads that it can with must be worth $60.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:34 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

If I was to do such a thing I would copy them to DVD (not CD) as DivX files which only takes a minute (which is hardly significant when a 6 episode series of a sitcom takes 3 hours to download on 1.5GB broadband). That way you can get much more on a disc than CD and have a copy of the files saved for future use and conveniently by the TV.

Our DVD player does have a USB socket but I couldn't get DivX files to play off it, only off a DVD (it is a Phillips). I should try again.

The next issue someone downloading so much stuff would have is that it would rapidly fill up their hard drive in which case this person would have to choose between deleting some (and hence not having as may to upload and keep their ratio up) and buying an extra hard drive. Someone would then be considering the merits of internal and external hard drives. Speed of transfer, security of back ups would be factors I imagine?
Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:57 am
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by Jessy69
People stopped burning disks a couple of years back get a xbox360 and stream directly from PC.
The Xbox360 can only recently (thanks to the Fall 2007 Dashboard update) playback DivX/XVid files, and there are some restrictions (lack of AAC audio playback, etc). There is some contention about the ability to playback DivX from the USB port as well. If you can confirm that it works I think quite a few people would be very happy because the 360's USB 2.0 array is powered and this means that External USB powered HD's are a possibility

Originally Posted by worzel
If I was to do such a thing I would copy them to DVD (not CD) as DivX files which only takes a minute (which is hardly significant when a 6 episode series of a sitcom takes 3 hours to download on 1.5GB broadband).
You have a 1,536Mbps internet connection !? I thought I was rocking with 30Mb (1Mb up) Cable @ ~2.7MB/ps download with a 60GB limit

Our DVD player does have a USB socket but I couldn't get DivX files to play off it, only off a DVD (it is a Phillips). I should try again.
Yeah, try again. If it's a Philips with a USB socket that supports DivX then it should be fine. The firmware is fairly decent, but check the net as there are homebrew projects out there that offer better firmware for that series of players. Also, it can be a little icky about some brands of cheap flash memory.

The next issue someone downloading so much stuff would have is that it would rapidly fill up their hard drive in which case this person would have to choose between deleting some (and hence not having as may to upload and keep their ratio up) and buying an extra hard drive. Someone would then be considering the merits of internal and external hard drives. Speed of transfer, security of back ups would be factors I imagine?
Personally, I would (if I did that sort of thing) buy cheap portable external USB drives to operate as Backup devices. As mentioned I am a fan of the WD Passport drives which start around 60GB @ ~$95, 80GB @ ~$105, 120GB @ ~$130, 160GB @ ~$150 and 250GB @ ~$230. There is even a 320GB version out now.. all the size of a old audio cassette case!

Al
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:08 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

The Xbox360 can only recently (thanks to the Fall 2007 Dashboard update) playback DivX/XVid files, and there are some restrictions (lack of AAC audio playback, etc). There is some contention about the ability to playback DivX from the USB port as well. If you can confirm that it works I think quite a few people would be very happy because the 360's USB 2.0 array is powered and this means that External USB powered HD's are a possibility
Al

I haven't tried playing DIVX files of an external hard drive, but have off of a DVD and streamed wirelessly from a PC and works ok with the latest firmware. Playback is much better than $60 palsonic thing I got from Harris Scarfe. I was looking at buying a linksys NSLU2 with a few extra packages should be able to download bit torrents and stream to the XBOX360 without needing the PC switched on at all.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:17 pm
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by silver
I haven't tried playing DIVX files of an external hard drive, but have off of a DVD and streamed wirelessly from a PC and works ok with the latest firmware. Playback is much better than $60 palsonic thing I got from Harris Scarfe. I was looking at buying a linksys NSLU2 with a few extra packages should be able to download bit torrents and stream to the XBOX360 without needing the PC switched on at all.
Sure, but what I'm referring to is direct playback on the XBox from USB stick, or HD, connected via the 360's USB sockets.

If you get a chance to have a go I would be very interested in the result

BTW - Do we happen to chat on "another forum" per chance ?
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:34 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Sure, but what I'm referring to is direct playback on the XBox from USB stick, or HD, connected via the 360's USB sockets.

We do...

Sorry did realise what you were talking about... just hadn't tried it quite that form...

I was pleased by the playback quality of the 360 and its ability to be tollerant of non fully divx compliant files..

Streaming wirelessly to the xbox is definately my prefered solution...

I will try it with my external hdd (although its a powered one) and let you know.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 3:45 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

You have a 1,536Mbps internet connection !? I thought I was rocking with 30Mb (1Mb up) Cable @ ~2.7MB/ps download with a 60GB limit
Ooops. What is a letter between friends. I meant 1.5MB not GB of course. Only marginally faster than watching paint dry but our exchange is full and it is going to be a long wait before the government and Telsta (or OPEL) get their fingers out.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:00 pm
In melbourne

Checked it out tonight. USB Key does work, cbia to move my external HD and try that as well but would assume as long as its formatted fat32 then it would work. I have no idea if xbox360 supports external disks formatted NTFS wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't but google would be the best bet to check that.

Hope that helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.