Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Web sites for downloading UK TV?

Wikiposts

Web sites for downloading UK TV?

Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

itsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really nice
Default Re: Web sites for downloading UK TV?

Originally Posted by northernbird
only if you break the rules I would imagine.

No jaffercake gets upset and bans people
even if you have uploaded lots of stuff and donated
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:08 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

only if you break the rules I would imagine.
i joined yonks ago when it was just starting up, probably haven't used it for 6 months +
not sure if they kick you off for inactivity though?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

chrissie181 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I think i am going insane!!!!
All i want to do is watch some decent TV like we had back in the UK. I really miss the dramas and good documentaries, ok and corrie.
I was logged in on UKNOVA but because I didnt have a clue as to how to download the programs (yes I did read the threads) my membership blipped out. Now of course UkNova is full. Iv tried some of the others and keep down loading things these sites tell me I need in order to use the site, but still dont get anywhere.
Iv tried the link to the BBC Channel 4 legitimate sites but you have to be in the UK to use them. Bit blinkin pointless as I would watch them on Tv if I was there.
Every time I ask someones advice over here they just say Oh get
Austar. I dont want Austar as i will just get a million channels of rubbish that I dont want.
I just want to know in the most basic of basic,ways. HOW TO DOWN LOAD UK TV WHILST IN OZ.

Please can anyone help me. Im in doonan on the sunshine coast. If there is anyone near by that could set it up for me. I Will pay good money for your help!!

As you can tell Im useless with technical stuff.

Chrissie
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:30 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissie181
Hi,
All i want to do is watch some decent TV like we had back in the UK. I really miss the dramas and good documentaries, ok and corrie.
I was logged in on UKNOVA but because I didnt have a clue as to how to download the programs (yes I did read the threads) my membership blipped out. Now of course UkNova is full. Iv tried some of the others and keep down loading things these sites tell me I need in order to use the site, but still dont get anywhere.
Iv tried the link to the BBC Channel 4 legitimate sites but you have to be in the UK to use them. Bit blinkin pointless as I would watch them on Tv if I was there.
Austar. I dont want Austar as i will just get a million channels of rubbish that I dont want.
I just want to know in the most basic of basic,ways. HOW TO DOWN LOAD UK TV WHILST IN OZ.

Please can anyone help me. Im in doonan on the sunshine coast. If there is anyone near by that could set it up for me. I Will pay good money for your help!!

Chrissie

I understand your frustration. I probably score 8 or 9 out of 10 for IT-literacy but tried and failed with uTorrent and UK Nova a year ago and only just managed to get the box and Azureus working this week. At first I had sound and no pictures but was lucky enough to stumble across something that told me to download "CODEC's".

(Even now, I can only play stuff on the PC I download to - I need to find a way of convering .avi files to DVD and / or to make them capable of being copied to a memory stick and shown on a laptop).

If you read the FAQ's etc they all seem to be written in jargon.

I guess if this was something we were paying for they would make it a lot easier.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by chrissie181
Hi,

Chrissie
do uknova "blip" you out for not using it? i don't know, i thought it was just for having a poor share ratio but i guess having nothing to share is the same as not sharing
afaik the only thing you can do is keep retrying to register

this is kind of what you need to know, well what i know and it works for me
1. sign up - easier said than done, keep trying
2. get a torrent client installed on your pc - www.bittorrent.com is a simple one for starters
3. find the program you want to watch on uknova, click the option to download the torrent file
4. this should start up your bittorrent client program on your pc and maybe ask you to confirm that you want to download the file
5. once this is registered in your bittorrent you will have to wait for it to download, the time will depend on a number of factors such as the speed of your connection and how many people are "seeding" the file to name a couple... i could go in to seeding and leeching but i won't, so long as someone somewhere is seeding the tracker will be active and you stand a chance of getting the file
6. when the download is complete, this could be minutes/hours/days you then have a video file on your pc to play... you can locate it and double click it to play on your pc in whatever media player you have installed
7. if you want to watch it through your dvd player/tv you'll need to copy it on to a blank dvd, unless you've a clever dvd player you will need your pc to convert the file into video format... you'll need something like Nero to make this happen
hth
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by worzel
I understand your frustration. I probably score 8 or 9 out of 10 for IT-literacy but tried and failed with uTorrent and UK Nova a year ago and only just managed to get the box and Azureus working this week. At first I had sound and no pictures but was lucky enough to stumble across something that told me to download "CODEC's".

(Even now, I can only play stuff on the PC I download to - I need to find a way of convering .avi files to DVD and / or to make them capable of being copied to a memory stick and shown on a laptop).

If you read the FAQ's etc they all seem to be written in jargon.

I guess if this was something we were paying for they would make it a lot easier.
i only discovered the other day that some dvd players will read the avi file straight from a dvd in "data" format and convert them in to something they can play on the fly
if you haven't one of those you will then need something on your pc to convert the file in to a video format, i've been using Nero to do this, i don't know if there are free alternatives google it and you're bound to find something
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:50 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
do uknova "blip" you out for not using it? i don't know, i thought it was just for having a poor share ratio but i guess having nothing to share is the same as not sharing
afaik the only thing you can do is keep retrying to register

this is kind of what you need to know, well what i know and it works for me
1. sign up - easier said than done, keep trying
2. get a torrent client installed on your pc - www.bittorrent.com is a simple one for starters
3. find the program you want to watch on uknova, click the option to download the torrent file
4. this should start up your bittorrent client program on your pc and maybe ask you to confirm that you want to download the file
5. once this is registered in your bittorrent you will have to wait for it to download, the time will depend on a number of factors such as the speed of your connection and how many people are "seeding" the file to name a couple... i could go in to seeding and leeching but i won't, so long as someone somewhere is seeding the tracker will be active and you stand a chance of getting the file
6. when the download is complete, this could be minutes/hours/days you then have a video file on your pc to play... you can locate it and double click it to play on your pc in whatever media player you have installed
7. if you want to watch it through your dvd player/tv you'll need to copy it on to a blank dvd, unless you've a clever dvd player you will need your pc to convert the file into video format... you'll need something like Nero to make this happen
hth
I bought a great DVD player last week, needed a new one anyway. Cost me $136 from the Good Guys. Its an LG, nothing fancy but is DIVX compatible and has a USB port on the front. Worth every cent if you are a serial downloader like me.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:52 pm

I bought a great DVD player last week, needed a new one anyway. Cost me $136 from the Good Guys. Its an LG, nothing fancy but is DIVX compatible and has a USB port on the front. Worth every cent if you are a serial downloader like me.
it was you that told me wasn't it
LG boo... i work for a competitor
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:54 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

it was you that told me wasn't it
LG boo... i work for a competitor
I only bought it because of the USB on the front and the fact it plays DIVX files. I just copy avi onto USB drive, plug in and watch. Best thing I ever bought, means I don't have to be stuck away on the computer to watch stuff and it means that the old man gets to watch what I download as he isn't patient enough to sit at the computer to watch. Didn't really care what make it was.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:05 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

i only discovered the other day that some dvd players will read the avi file straight from a dvd in "data" format and convert them in to something they can play on the fly
if you haven't one of those you will then need something on your pc to convert the file in to a video format, i've been using Nero to do this, i don't know if there are free alternatives google it and you're bound to find something
It was strange. I had 7 episodes making a full series copied straight to DVD as .avi, no conversion at all/ When I played what I thought was episode 1 it jumped to episode 4, played okay for 3 minutes, went jerky for 2 minutes then stopped playing altogether. The DVD manual does not claim to play avi files at all???

I have Nero, but only Nero Express which came free with the CD/DVD RW drive and it spat the dummy when I tried to use it to convert avi to DVD (something about needing to upgrade to overcome licence issues with mpeg4. Do you have a fuller version of Nero? How much?

I tried using the software for our DVD camcorder (Power Producer I think) last night to burn the files to DVD. It seemed to work (although it took over an hour for less than an hour's TV and only fit an hour on to one DVD). I didn't get round to playing them to see if it worked.

There are a few tips in the lab forum for converting files and so I will play with that tonight. There do not seem to be many free applications around.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:07 pm
A former regular of BE

I only bought it because of the USB on the front and the fact it plays DIVX files. I just copy avi onto USB drive, plug in and watch. Best thing I ever bought, means I don't have to be stuck away on the computer to watch stuff and it means that the old man gets to watch what I download as he isn't patient enough to sit at the computer to watch. Didn't really care what make it was.
Not sure I follow your point C. Do you only download DIVX listed material or are you saying you can convert avi to DIVX or that they are compatible???

I have a 2GB memory stick and a USB port on the DVD recorder that is in for repairs at the moment so do you think that will work for avi files?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:10 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Not sure I follow your point C. Do you only download DIVX listed material or are you saying you can convert avi to DIVX or that they are compatible???

I have a 2GB memory stick and a USB port on the DVD recorder that is in for repairs at the moment so do you think that will work for avi files?
All DVD players are different. You need a DVD player that can play DIVX files which means you can play the avi file without any need for conversion, look in your players manual to find out the format of files it can play. You can get conversion programmes but as you said they are not free and they take ages. If the DVD player that is in for repair states it can play DIVX files then you should in theory just be able to save the avi to either dvd or memory stick with no conversion and it will play.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:23 pm

It was strange. I had 7 episodes making a full series copied straight to DVD as .avi, no conversion at all/ When I played what I thought was episode 1 it jumped to episode 4, played okay for 3 minutes, went jerky for 2 minutes then stopped playing altogether. The DVD manual does not claim to play avi files at all???

I have Nero, but only Nero Express which came free with the CD/DVD RW drive and it spat the dummy when I tried to use it to convert avi to DVD (something about needing to upgrade to overcome licence issues with mpeg4. Do you have a fuller version of Nero? How much?

I tried using the software for our DVD camcorder (Power Producer I think) last night to burn the files to DVD. It seemed to work (although it took over an hour for less than an hour's TV and only fit an hour on to one DVD). I didn't get round to playing them to see if it worked.

There are a few tips in the lab forum for converting files and so I will play with that tonight. There do not seem to be many free applications around.
i'll pm you
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:24 pm
A former regular of BE

All DVD players are different. You need a DVD player that can play DIVX files which means you can play the avi file without any need for conversion, look in your players manual to find out the format of files it can play. You can get conversion programmes but as you said they are not free and they take ages. If the DVD player that is in for repair states it can play DIVX files then you should in theory just be able to save the avi to either dvd or memory stick with no conversion and it will play.
I am pretty sure it does play DIVX. Fingers crossed that Sam collects it tonight, I don't have too many at tonight's sundowner and that it all comes together.

Otherwise we are talking about moving one of the sofas into the study where the PC is. Mountains and mohammed spring to mind.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:26 pm
Gutter Gob!!

I am pretty sure it does play DIVX. Fingers crossed that Sam collects it tonight, I don't have too many at tonight's sundowner and that it all comes together.

Otherwise we are talking about moving one of the sofas into the study where the PC is. Mountains and mohammed spring to mind.
I am seeing her at swimming in a couple of hours, shall I issue a reminder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.