Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Web cam advice/msn messenger

Web cam advice/msn messenger

Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

MRS G will become famous soon enough
Question Web cam advice/msn messenger

Hi there, I was wondering if there was someone who han help me.

I have just installed a web cam and use msn messenger. When my contact invites me to see their webcam and I accept it, I am still unable to see them. When I invite them they are not even receiving the invite. I can see my webcam picture so assume it is set up ok.

Can anyone help?

mrs g
Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:58 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Web cam advice/msn messenger

Originally Posted by MRS G
Hi there, I was wondering if there was someone who han help me.

I have just installed a web cam and use msn messenger. When my contact invites me to see their webcam and I accept it, I am still unable to see them. When I invite them they are not even receiving the invite. I can see my webcam picture so assume it is set up ok.

Can anyone help?

mrs g
If you do a search there are similar examples of this type of problem. I am no IT expert but I had the same problem a few days ago and I did the following:

1. Make sure you and the other person are both using MSN 6.2
2. Check the USDB conection. I changed mine to a different one at the back of the PC and that did the trick.

Wayne (WMoore) is a bit of a whiz so he may be able to help. He has answered on the other threads so do a search.

Hope it helps.

Warren

Old Nov 8th 2004, 10:47 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Also if you have a fire wall running on your pc sometimes this can cause problems, my camera and mic wont work together if my firewall is on.

Jenny
Old Nov 8th 2004, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jensteve
Also if you have a fire wall running on your pc sometimes this can cause problems, my camera and mic wont work together if my firewall is on.

Jenny
I use msn messenger for webcam only, works fine through zonealarm firewall. Found the audio in messenger to be unreliable so now use Skype, also works fine through the firewall and both work well together. Once you have Skype, which is free from computer to computer as long as both parties are registered you can buy credit for Skypeout which allows you to connect to landlines from your computer. Prices for calls to UK and Oz are only 1.1p/min no matter where you are.

www.skype.com I think

Andy
Old Nov 8th 2004, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

rarejunk_in is an unknown quantity at this point

you might be on a network where your internet connection is through a proxy server which has an inbuilt firewall which might be restricting this feature.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

MRS G will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone, I will look into my firewall and think skype is the way to go for the sound.

Cheers
mrs g
Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MRS G
Thanks everyone, I will look into my firewall and think skype is the way to go for the sound.

Cheers
mrs g
PM ecando (you'll find him on the nursing forum)
He is an IT expert - sure he will help.
Cas