Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weather warning - S Queensland coast

Weather warning - S Queensland coast

Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Weather warning - S Queensland coast

For your info - batten down the hatches........part of an email just received from the Bureau of Met -

"During Wednesday a low pressure centre is expected to develop off the central coast and move in a S/SW direction as it intensifies. The low is not a tropical cyclone but is what we call a hybrid system. It is very similar to other east coast lows that develop off our coast throughout the year and is produced as a significant upper level trough develops over Queensland.
On Thursday the low is expected to be located east of about Yeppoon with winds to its south gradually strengthening. During Friday the low is expected to track further to the S/SW and intensify. This will see winds from about Hervey Bay southwards strengthen even more with waves also increasing. We expect that we will see at least galeforce winds along the south coast on Friday.
There is some divergence amongst computer models as to the exact track during Friday. ...but under any of the scenarios we are very likely to see galeforce winds, very large seas and some near coastal inundation given the height of the tides later in the week.
The rainfall will depend very much on the track of the low. Under one scenario we would expect to see very significant falls with flooding quite likely.The other scenarios that keep the low off the coast would probably still produce some high falls but the flooding problem would not be as great"
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:27 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Weather warning - S Queensland coast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
For your info - batten down the hatches........part of an email just received from the Bureau of Met -

"During Wednesday a low pressure centre is expected to develop off the central coast and move in a S/SW direction as it intensifies. The low is not a tropical cyclone but is what we call a hybrid system. It is very similar to other east coast lows that develop off our coast throughout the year and is produced as a significant upper level trough develops over Queensland.
On Thursday the low is expected to be located east of about Yeppoon with winds to its south gradually strengthening. During Friday the low is expected to track further to the S/SW and intensify. This will see winds from about Hervey Bay southwards strengthen even more with waves also increasing. We expect that we will see at least galeforce winds along the south coast on Friday.
There is some divergence amongst computer models as to the exact track during Friday. ...but under any of the scenarios we are very likely to see galeforce winds, very large seas and some near coastal inundation given the height of the tides later in the week.
The rainfall will depend very much on the track of the low. Under one scenario we would expect to see very significant falls with flooding quite likely.The other scenarios that keep the low off the coast would probably still produce some high falls but the flooding problem would not be as great"

Nice !! I'm off to wax up my Mal.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:31 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyanna,

Do you how far South is likely to get affected?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:32 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Pollyanna,

Do you how far South is likely to get affected?

Thanks,

Paul.
Thats all I have at present - I would guess it could affect most of the Qld coast. If I can pick up any more it'll put it on here.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:38 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats all I have at present - I would guess it could affect most of the Qld coast. If I can pick up any more it'll put it on here.
Thanks, my weekend in Noosa is looking increasingly dodgy.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:40 am
Home and Happy

Only other thing around at present is a note about a phone call in which it was said the weather would "probably" impact "all coastal areas south of Rockhampton"
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Only other thing around at present is a note about a phone call in which it was said the weather would "probably" impact "all coastal areas south of Rockhampton"
I had solar heating installed this morning. Obviously had it rained they wouldn't have come, but thankfully it has stayed clear although we have a breeze picking up now.

Hope they fixed it all firmly :scared: Don't want to wake up at the weekend and find it all at the bottom of the garden
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:55 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers

Have taken note, think we should keep this as permenant thread and get it starred.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:56 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Dammmm!!!

Better blow out for Sunday as I was supposed to be diving for clean up Aus Day.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:49 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Woohoo, finally we may get some proper summer monsoonal rain instead of these patchy showers which hopefully will fill the dams & get rid of these bloody water restrictions!

Paul, anything that comes down as far as Yepoon will definitely affect us, I wouldnt be holding my breath if I were you.

Batten down the hatches guys!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Did they mention this weather in the come to Oz manual , I'm sure it said never ending sunshine. At least it's not hail :scared:
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Woohoo, finally we may get some proper summer monsoonal rain instead of these patchy showers which hopefully will fill the dams & get rid of these bloody water restrictions!

Paul, anything that comes down as far as Yepoon will definitely affect us, I wouldnt be holding my breath if I were you.

Batten down the hatches guys!
What is it about Bayside How come our dam/reservoir is 85% full and they considered draining some if that cyclone had come down, and you have zip? Don't you pay your water bills up there

Very excited this evening btw - our first possums arrived on the veranda

Can we have some sun tomorrow please. We now have solar heating but haven't seen the piggin sun since
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:34 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

'kin typical - just as i am comming over on holiday too. Pants
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
Did they mention this weather in the come to Oz manual , I'm sure it said never ending sunshine.
Don't you bloody start

Originally Posted by moneypen20
What is it about Bayside How come our dam/reservoir is 85% full and they considered draining some if that cyclone had come down, and you have zip? Don't you pay your water bills up there.

Very excited this evening btw - our first possums arrived on the veranda.

Can we have some sun tomorrow please. We now have solar heating but haven't seen the piggin sun since
Whats your solar heating for? Not a pool cos you havent got one yet & it sure isnt cold enough to want to warm the house . One day & you're complaining there's no sun? Sheeesh!

BTW, its not just bayside, until last year or the year before the Gold Coast had the most severe water shortage ever in that area & had very severe water restrictions for about 4 years, you can brag all you want about the Hinze dam being at 85%, but it actually only holds enough water for about 12-18 months, so if I were you Id be praying for alot more frequent rain than you've had for the last 5 years .

A great majority of Qld was/is in a drought, I hope they get rainwhere it's needed.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:30 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we will be right then cos we r North of Rocky lol....pissin doon all nite almost 80mm recorded down on the beach but we have had torrential rain for the last 4 hours the holes we had dug for the gazebo are now 150mm full of water lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.