Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weather suits the mood

Weather suits the mood

Old May 29th 2002, 3:10 pm
ndaltonb

Default Weather suits the mood

All,

Sorry but this is a moan as this wait is really getting to me.

As I sit here looking out at the rain, I figure it is a reflection of my mood; dark, damp and miserable. This waiting is really getting to me. Roll on July 1st!!

Yours in aarrgghhhhh

Nigel db

Old May 29th 2002, 3:14 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice
Default Re: Weather suits the mood

Hang in there Nigel, the months are flying by, can't believe it is the end of May already!!

Susan
Old May 29th 2002, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Nige

Susan's right, you'll be hearing from them before you know it...keep smiling!!

And don't worry about the moaning, it's what we're here for isn't it...to support each other through the arduous process...but it'll be worth it in the end...even if there are NO IT jobs....we can all sell burgers!!!

love sophia x
Old May 29th 2002, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

dazzx6r is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheer up mate, July is just around the corner! Anyway England does'nt get that much rain (not much!!) AND we do have the footie to look forward to COME ON ENGLAND !!!! THAT IS UNTIL WERE IN OZ ???.... Regards Darren
Old May 29th 2002, 7:10 pm
col
BE Enthusiast

col is an unknown quantity at this point

Nigel

Know the feeling well mate, waiting for the results of my second medical. To be contacted by the 10 july. Yes? NO? More tests? wish I new mate the skulls starting to hurt from banging it against the wall!!!!

Never mind mate what ever the out come we've always got the weather!***!!!*(&&
NARF!!!

Col
Old May 29th 2002, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

rday will become famous soon enough

i went to my kids sports day today in a t shirt,big mistake,it became windy and cold,my nipples were sticking out like candle sticks.
when me and my wife go to a beer garden in the middle of summer,by 9pm we are shivering
we are in the wrong country for out door life
cant wait to get to oz
hopefully oct 2002(15 months wait) or march 2003(20 months wait)
rday
Old May 29th 2002, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheer up folks. Its bloody freezing over here at the moment (Sydney).
Old May 29th 2002, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

and raining
Old May 30th 2002, 4:40 pm
ndaltonb

Hi onlyme

Glad you think it's freezing. Sydney has a max of 16 tomorrow. Guess what it is here in London today??

Yup, you got it right, 16 and rainy.

God I love the english summer; NOT

Yours under a cloud.

Nigel db

P.S. GO TEAM ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jun 8th 2002, 11:31 am
Just Joined

WishUponAStar is an unknown quantity at this point

When I tell people I find it freezing here in Sydney, they tell me I must be crazy. I'm glad I'm not the only one after all!!!!
Old Jun 8th 2002, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

It's alright to be freezing in Sydney now...it's winter..you're supposed to be cold in winter!! )
It's the same blooming temperature here (UK) and it supposed to be 'summer'!!!Pah...can't wait to get to WA!!

love sophia xx

PS. in case you missed them before, check out these sites:

http://www.satirewire.com/news/jan02/australia.shtml
http://www.australianbeers.com/
http://www.thisisparramatta.com/ozinengland2/
Old Jun 9th 2002, 2:07 am
Just Joined

WishUponAStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont forget you've got central heating and double glazing in the UK. Most place here are timber frame and no insulation at all!!!!!
Old Jun 10th 2002, 4:43 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Those who are freezing should hop on a plane and drop by Singapore. We wear winter clothing indoors and summer clothing outdoors. And I can tell you, I'm melting here!

Cheers,
Peter
Old Jun 11th 2002, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Its all worth it in the end!! We have been here (near Sydney) for 2 months now (from UK) and just to see my kids smiling when I pick them up from school (they weren't happy in their school in the UK) makes the wait all worth it. Also the fact that although people seem to think its winter here (was 20 degrees today) and a bit 'chilly' compared to the 30 degrees in summer, the skies are more or less always blue (yes there are days when it does rain and is miserable but not many) and the area here is so green you wouldn't even think it was winter. The mornings are great here, it kind of reminds me of a bright spring day in the UK with it being cool and damp but brilliant sunshine and an abundance of birds singing. Its also nice to be able to take the kids to the local park for an hour or two after school rather than sit in front of the t.v. waiting for dinner. I tell you what, my 5 year old son hasn't eaten so much in all his life, his plate is always empty after dinner and I put this down to the fact that he is spending so much time outdoors.

OK so I have only been here for 2 months and haven't experienced the whole winter yet but most people have told me that it doesn't get any worse than this so it looks good so far. It does get cold at night though and we are glad we have the reverse-cycle aircon in our rented house as we have had this on most nights but that might be because we are whimps when it comes to cold!

anyway, good luck and chin up it is definately worth the wait!!

mandy
Old Jun 13th 2002, 1:18 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

Have to say the longer you are here the more you become used to the climate. The first year in Brisbane we laughed at locals wearing coats in winter but now after 3 years we are the same and freezing. A lot of locals in Brisbane have no insulation, heating or cooling in their homes and we cannot understand that now after 3 years we rely on our reverse cycle aircon.

I am beginning to understand now why the aussies laugh, as I thought rather harshly, at the english climate but I expect it must work the other way as well coming from a warmer climate takes a while to adjust to the colder english climate and therefore their discomfort is more extreme in the first year or two. My aussie wife tells me she arrived in London in October and had never been so cold during her first winter but then she got used to it. I as an Englishman have been in Brisbane for 3 years and same is now true here. It's all relative I guess.

Would also warn people arriving in Oz for their first winter to take care about colds and flu. There seems to be an annual epidemic here which wipes out thousands. The second year I was here I caught a flu bug which was so extreme I was wiped out for weeks. Maybe, coming from a different hemisphere our bodies are experiencing new strains for the first time so takes a while to adjust to that. Dont know but it is worth watching out for.