Weather or Not

Old Feb 1st 2004, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

morrie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weather or Not

Feeling peeved today, wind is blowing at force 9 gale, Morrie wanted to go for a run tonight but was scared he'd get blown away! Spoke to his daughter in Perth today, she bragged how hot it is over there!!!!
Old Feb 1st 2004, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kelly T is an unknown quantity at this point

We know how you feel.
My aunt in Adelaide keeps emailing telling us how hot it is.
It is so depressing!!
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 1:53 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Weather or Not

Originally posted by morrie
Feeling peeved today, wind is blowing at force 9 gale, Morrie wanted to go for a run tonight but was scared he'd get blown away! Spoke to his daughter in Perth today, she bragged how hot it is over there!!!!
Your hubby likes running in the blazing heat then?? I'd prefer the gales personally.

Rich.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

morrie is an unknown quantity at this point

Morrie will run in all weathers but he went to the pub yesterday afternoon so a run was out of the question.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

it does work both ways!! I had no end of people telling me about how wonderful the weather was in the UK in August and how lovely the summer evenings were while it was 2 degrees where we lived in Melbourne and dark by 5pm for the 4th month in a row!!

I hope you're timing your arrival to go from UK summer to Oz summer and not winter to winter
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 5:36 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
it does work both ways!! I had no end of people telling me about how wonderful the weather was in the UK in August and how lovely the summer evenings were while it was 2 degrees where we lived in Melbourne and dark by 5pm for the 4th month in a row!!

I hope you're timing your arrival to go from UK summer to Oz summer and not winter to winter
Hi Hiddenpaw....

We've had amazing summers for the last few years in the UK...I certainly had no complaints, but then I wouldn't rate weather as a major factor for me when looking to emigrate.

The winters are pretty mild too, which makes for a nice climate all year round, and it's good for motorcycle riding too. It does rain sometimes, but it's not like a lot of people say....it's occasional at most.

I think a lot of people think London is representative of England...it's just a small corner.

all the best, Rich.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately we don't have a choice! We will be leaving the US at the end of winter and arriving in Melbourne at the start of winter (june). Having said that though - 2 degrees is positively scorching compared to what we have here in the winter. Average temps last week ranged from -26C to -15C (plus windchill...).

Acually I do have a question about the weather/sun/UV in Melbourne. I love being oudoors ( I run and bike) but am careful in the sun. I realise that the risks of getting burnt are still very high even when it is cloudy there in the summer - but what about in the winter on bright days? Is the UV still high?

Thanks !
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by helenmaine
Unfortunately we don't have a choice! We will be leaving the US at the end of winter and arriving in Melbourne at the start of winter (june). Having said that though - 2 degrees is positively scorching compared to what we have here in the winter. Average temps last week ranged from -26C to -15C (plus windchill...).

Acually I do have a question about the weather/sun/UV in Melbourne. I love being oudoors ( I run and bike) but am careful in the sun. I realise that the risks of getting burnt are still very high even when it is cloudy there in the summer - but what about in the winter on bright days? Is the UV still high?

Thanks !
Er -26 - how do you cycle/run in that!!!

Huge cycling scene in Melbourne - very sociable, and great women's cycling scene too. Lots of bunch rides and road racing if you're into that.

Hubby does about 500km a week and definately caught the sun on long rides on winter days. He got very burnt one day in early spring when he forgot the sunscreen - he had to get into the habit of keeping a mini bottle of screen with him all the time. (Even so, he still has one of those ridiculous cyclists tans!) So yes, you still have to be careful year round.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Er -26 - how do you cycle/run in that!!!

Huge cycling scene in Melbourne - very sociable, and great women's cycling scene too. Lots of bunch rides and road racing if you're into that.

Hubby does about 500km a week and definately caught the sun on long rides on winter days. He got very burnt one day in early spring when he forgot the sunscreen - he had to get into the habit of keeping a mini bottle of screen with him all the time. (Even so, he still has one of those ridiculous cyclists tans!) So yes, you still have to be careful year round.
Thanks HP! Good to know about the sun and the cycling scene. I am always careful anyway, but will have to be even more so in Melbourne it seems. Here, although I don't cycle or run at those silly low temps, I do x -country ski and snowboard (You have to get out here in winter as it lasts for more than 6 months!) Last week it was so cold - I got a lovely layer of ice forming on the outside of my facemask!