Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weather in Melbourne really that bad?

Weather in Melbourne really that bad?

Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Smile Weather in Melbourne really that bad?

Hello people, I'm new to this forum and this is my first posting so please be kind to me!

We are in our last stages of applying for PR visa (had to delay as had a baby in November) and are trying to deide where to go - Melbourne or Sydney. Hubby is in IT therefore only these two choices really if any hope of getting a job in the near future. The only thing putting us off Melbourne is the bad press about the weather - is it really that bad (compared to the UK anyway!) If it is over 20 degrees for 7 months of the year then we would be happy.

Anyone?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Weather in Melbourne really that bad?

Come on - 7 people have read my message now and I have not even had one "hello"
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hello Mummy..i cant help you as i am in Adelaide and never been to Melly..but welcome to the board..

Listen up peeps...dont you know its rude to ignore your mummy?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Mummy

hello!

sorry, know nothing about Melbourne weather, hence not replying earlier, perhaps that's the reason other people haven't either?

I have seen threads on this topic before, so why not try a search.

sandy
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

mozzie will become famous soon enough

There are many myths about Melbourne weather, mainly originating from Sydney I think. I suggest you check out the Bureau of Meteorology website for the facts:
Met Bureau

You'll find that Melbourne gets almost exactly half the rainfall that Sydney gets, although Sydney averages about a week more of rainless days than Melbourne per year.

The average temperatures are quite similar for both, although Melbourne has slightly more extreme temperatures - higher maximums, lower minimums. And Sydney is more humid.

Despite the stories about Melbourne weather, it is the second driest capital city, after Adelaide.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

krissy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Welcome to the board!
As for Melbourne weather...it's probably not as bad as they say it is.
We are planning to move there and I have looked the weather sites and spoken to few people who live there.
They all said that although it can get 'cold' in the winter.....it's certainly nowhere near what we call cold. I heard a 'cold' daytime temp in winter about 14 degrees C. Not bad really!

Kris
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mummy

We are off to Melbourne pretty soon. My hubby read up on the weather stats and Melbourne actually recieves less rain per year than Sydney...

booboo
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

After being reprimanded for not replying to the question about weather in Melbourne, I duly responded so as not to let Mummy feel as though she was being ignored.

I note however that despite having received several replies, Mummy has not said thank you!

Mummy where are your manners??!!

sandy
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello people, I'm new to this forum and this is my first posting so please be kind to me!

We are in our last stages of applying for PR visa (had to delay as had a baby in November) and are trying to deide where to go - Melbourne or Sydney. Hubby is in IT therefore only these two choices really if any hope of getting a job in the near future. The only thing putting us off Melbourne is the bad press about the weather - is it really that bad (compared to the UK anyway!) If it is over 20 degrees for 7 months of the year then we would be happy.

Anyone?
G'day and welcome. I'm from Melbourne so 'biased' by having experienced 30 lots of 4 seasons you might say (years not days). The UK version of New Life Down Under last week was in Melbourne. The Welsh family had no rain for TWO MONTHS and then it rained on the day they were having their barbeque - sure enough out trotted the Melbourne weather cliches. On our last trip we were over for 5 weeks and it rained once in that time and it was winter, the wet season. No doubt those in Syd and Bris will say when it rains here it chucks it down and we get it over and done with but in Melb it drizzles on a long time!

When I last checked Brisbane and Sydney had roughly double the annual average rainfall of Melbourne and as someone said it is the second driest capital city - but why spoil a good myth with facts!

OzTennis
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Sandy.l
After being reprimanded for not replying to the question about weather in Melbourne, I duly responded so as not to let Mummy feel as though she was being ignored.

I note however that despite having received several replies, Mummy has not said thank you!

Mummy where are your manners??!!

sandy
Sorry Sandy, I did start drafting a thankyou to you and podgyposum but was called away for a feed by the little one and then forgot when i came back - one of the downsides to having a baby - memory goes to pot!

Thankyou for my hello!
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:55 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone?

try this link

http://home.wanadoo.nl/koek/melbourne/melbourne.html

or a cute pic !! looks nice in perth NOTE the time
Attached Thumbnails Weather in Melbourne really that bad?-melbourne.gif  
Old Jan 15th 2004, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry Sandy, I did start drafting a thankyou to you and podgyposum but was called away for a feed by the little one and then forgot when i came back - one of the downsides to having a baby - memory goes to pot!

Thankyou for my hello!

It's fine, I was only teasing!

I remember when I first started posting, I was manically trying to keep up with everything going on at once, I still have a complete obsession with this forum, but I'm not quite so desperate to join in every conversation now!

Anyway, kids will be waiting at the school gates in 15 mins so better get off.

Welcome Mummy, I hope you find lots of answers, and also have some fun at the same time!

sandy
Old Jan 15th 2004, 2:22 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Anyone?
Welcome and congratulations on the birth of your baby! I'm also off to Adelaide so I can't help, but good luck.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 2:59 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Hi Mummy,

Welcome to the forum & wish you lots of luck on the visa app. We're also off to Melbourne, hopefully & 'Mr Anya' is also also an IT guy. By all accounts, it's great place for kids to grow up, so your little 'un will love it (mind you, given the length of time it takes to process the visas, he/she will be getting the vote by the time you go ) Just - partly! - joking...

I've found that when you get onto the 'home stretch' with the visa app., you get more stressed, and so this forum really comes into its own. Dunno if it's the same for others, but that feeling of 'so near so far' to actually being there makes me run for the choccy box if I don't sign on here for a while...!

Cheers!
Anya.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by anya4oz
Hi Mummy,

Welcome to the forum & wish you lots of luck on the visa app. We're also off to Melbourne, hopefully & 'Mr Anya' is also also an IT guy. By all accounts, it's great place for kids to grow up, so your little 'un will love it (mind you, given the length of time it takes to process the visas, he/she will be getting the vote by the time you go ) Just - partly! - joking...

I've found that when you get onto the 'home stretch' with the visa app., you get more stressed, and so this forum really comes into its own. Dunno if it's the same for others, but that feeling of 'so near so far' to actually being there makes me run for the choccy box if I don't sign on here for a while...!

Cheers!
Anya.
Hi Anya,

I don't really know how much longer it will take - I am guessing at no more than 2 months?? Hubby and I have had the medicals done and police checks, just need baby's medical and my chest x-ray, then as far as we know that is it! Taken a long time though because of the baby - 12 months so far.

How far off do you reckon you are?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.