Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weather in May?? (NSW)

Weather in May?? (NSW)

Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:14 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather in May?? (NSW)

Originally Posted by comet555
Well... this could be interesting then

I expect we'll look like tourists for a while, which I don't mind. On the bright side if we do end up staying at least we'll be able to ease into an Australian summer. I told my husband it's better to arrive in the coldest part of the year than the hottest, at least for us anyway.

I guess the best thing to do would be to check the weather during the day there for a while before hand.
Yea - we made a deliberate decision to arrive mid-winter so we didn't get into 'holiday mode' when we ought to be doing more important things. Worked out well all things considered, had the cool days to ease into the summer heat.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:32 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
... and interior NSW has a climate of its own.
And parts of the Tablelands can be decidedly chilly (and not just in the Snowy Mountains - think of Orange or Oberon in the Central Tablelands west of Sydney for example, or the upper Blue Mountains, where the fog can descend and bring a damp chill that goes through to the bones.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Well... this could be interesting then

I expect we'll look like tourists for a while, which I don't mind. On the bright side if we do end up staying at least we'll be able to ease into an Australian summer. I told my husband it's better to arrive in the coldest part of the year than the hottest, at least for us anyway.
That's our thinking too - it would be a bit of a shock to my system to leave in the English winter and arrive in an Australian summer. So instead we have two winters in a row...
I have looked at climate charts loads of times but they aren't all that helpful for knowing what clothes to take - they seem to suggest that it could be cold or hot depending on the day! Not helpful! I'm planning to arrive with a couple of pairs of long trousers and some 3/4 length, plus maybe a skirt or two. Tops-wise I think layers have to be the answer - then can add/remove as required! A pair of trainers will see my feet through until we get the rest of our things. What's the worst that could happen? I might have to go shopping for new things? I can live with that!

(Comet - we'll arrive just ahead of you, I'll pm you some uptodate clothing info!)
Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:05 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by esperanza
That's our thinking too - it would be a bit of a shock to my system to leave in the English winter and arrive in an Australian summer. So instead we have two winters in a row...
I have looked at climate charts loads of times but they aren't all that helpful for knowing what clothes to take - they seem to suggest that it could be cold or hot depending on the day! Not helpful! I'm planning to arrive with a couple of pairs of long trousers and some 3/4 length, plus maybe a skirt or two. Tops-wise I think layers have to be the answer - then can add/remove as required! A pair of trainers will see my feet through until we get the rest of our things. What's the worst that could happen? I might have to go shopping for new things? I can live with that!

(Comet - we'll arrive just ahead of you, I'll pm you some uptodate clothing info!)
That would be great thanks Now if only there was someone arrive just ahead of you!