Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weather in May?? (NSW)

Weather in May?? (NSW)

Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:08 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Weather in May?? (NSW)

We're headed over for a month long trip in May and I'm just wondering what the weather will be like. I have of course looked up all the relevant weather web pages, and it helps a little bit.

This is what I'm wondering (keep in mind we're from Canada):
-what would the average temperatures in the afternoon on a good day?
-what would it be like in the early evening?
-can the kids go swimming at the beach?
-what do people usually wear, shorts or pants?
-should we bring any kind of jackets?

I know an aussie definition of cold will be much different than mine. But I'd hate to show up expecting to have swims at the beach when it's freezing out. I'm pretty sure it'll be shorts weather for us, but probably not for the locals.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather in May?? (NSW)

Originally Posted by comet555 View Post
We're headed over for a month long trip in May and I'm just wondering what the weather will be like. I have of course looked up all the relevant weather web pages, and it helps a little bit.

I know an aussie definition of cold will be much different than mine. But I'd hate to show up expecting to have swims at the beach when it's freezing out. I'm pretty sure it'll be shorts weather for us, but probably not for the locals.
Swimming in May? No - the only people in the water then will be the die-hard surfers in their wetsuits.

You don't usually wear shorts in May, long pants and a long-sleeve top is more like it. You might get away with a t-shirt on a nice day but you'd need something more in the evenings. Jackets are a good idea, they don't need to be padded puffas or anything extreme but you will need something to cover your arms, particularly at night.

I'm in Sydney - will be a bit warmer, of course, up towards QLD.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, I have no problems not swimming. I think I need to be in a little better shape than I am now

I'll make sure to pack pants, long sleeves and t-shirts along with a light jacket. But I still suspect that it'll feel like shorts weather to me! I once went to Las Vegas in the winter and there were lots of people with jackets on and we were wearing shorts and t-shirts.

Just out of curiousity at what temperature would you draw the line between shorts and pants?

Last edited by comet555; Mar 12th 2007 at 4:07 am.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I have no problems not swimming. I think I need to be in a little better shape than that

I'll make sure to pack pants, long sleeves and t-shirts along with a light jacket. But I still suspect that it'll feel like shorts weather to me! I once went to Las Vegas in the winter and there were lots of people with jackets on and we were wearing shorts and t-shirts.

Just out of curiousity at what temperature would you draw the line between shorts and pants?
Funnily enough, it's only been in the last week that I've started to wear jeans/long pants during the day. It's been 21/22/23 degrees max here on a couple of days which must mean it's too cool for me to wear shorts! I'm not back in socks yet though.

I remember some friends came here in May once from the UK. They were all wearing their summer gear and couldn't understand why everyone was wearing boots and scarves - so you may find that you can get away with less clothing than the locals.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:01 am
Canuck/Aussie

Good to hear. My husband and I have no problem wearing pants in 30 degree weather, we had to for work reasons. But we could easily wear shorts at 20 degrees. I actually saw two people wearing shorts hear the other day when the temperature reached a whopping 7 degrees!! Even I thought that was a little crazy though.

So I guess we'll probably find it fairly warm, but I'll make sure we bring a bunch of warm weather clothes too.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Where in NSW are you going? There is a significant difference between temperatures in Tweed Heads (north) vs Sydney (centre) vs Eden (south coast) and interior NSW has a climate of its own.

Don't be surprised by the short days in May. Even if the temperature hits 21-22C, which it does on a good day in Sydney in May, it will be cooling off by 3pm as the sun dips. It will be dark not long after 5pm. Similarly, it will probably be chilly in early morning.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:25 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Where in NSW are you going? There is a significant difference between temperatures in Tweed Heads (north) vs Sydney (centre) vs Eden (south coast) and interior NSW has a climate of its own.

Don't be surprised by the short days in May. Even if the temperature hits 21-22C, which it does on a good day in Sydney in May, it will be cooling off by 3pm as the sun dips. It will be dark not long after 5pm. Similarly, it will probably be chilly in early morning.
We'll be spending the first couple week of May in Sydney and the Newcastle/Hunter Valley area. After that we may drive up towards Brisbane.

I'm surprised it gets dark that early. It won't bother me though since sometimes the sun goes down by 4pm during our winter in Northern Canada.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised it gets dark that early. It won't bother me though since sometimes the sun goes down by 4pm during our winter in Northern Canada.
There are just over 10 hours daylight in Sydney (33S) in mid-May. Sun rises around 0640 and sets at 1700.

In Brisbane (27S) there's about 25 minutes more daylight at that time of year. Sunrise at 0620 and sunset at 1705 (Brisbane is also east of Sydney).

http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/astro/sunrise.jsp will allow you calculate this for yourself. http://www.bom.gov.au has climate data.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:57 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
There are just over 10 hours daylight in Sydney (33S) in mid-May. Sun rises around 0640 and sets at 1700.

In Brisbane (27S) there's about 25 minutes more daylight at that time of year. Sunrise at 0620 and sunset at 1705 (Brisbane is also east of Sydney).

http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/astro/sunrise.jsp will allow you calculate this for yourself. http://www.bom.gov.au has climate data.
Thanks JAJ. I guess we'll just have to get up early while we're there to make the most of the day. Should be relatively easy to do coming with the time difference we have in Canada.

You're quite the fountain of information
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:51 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

May in NSW will be like October in Ontario. It will be late autumn so nice crisp days and cooler afternoon/evenings. Just flip the seasons by 6 months and you'll be alright. Don't let the fact that it's Australia fool you, either. It feels bloody cold here when it's winter. I know that sounds strange, considering you're living in Ft. McM, but the homes have very little insulation (R 3 is considered a lot) and we found the wind just chills right to the bone.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:27 am
Canuck/Aussie

Thanks Dorothy. That comparison really helps. So perhaps I should be looking for places with good insulation instead of ones that have air conditioning
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy. That comparison really helps. So perhaps I should be looking for places with good insulation instead of ones that have air conditioning
Definitely. Especially when you head into the interior. I live on the coast just south of Sydney and I'm always amazed by the difference in temperature when I drive up the escarpment to see my sister in the Souther Highlands - even in mid-summer. It can be a sweaty 30+ day down here and yet up there it can be like an English October day - 17 degrees, foggy and wet. Lost track of the number of times I've had to borrow a fleece off her ... really should remember to keep one in the car.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:51 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
Definitely. Especially when you head into the interior. I live on the coast just south of Sydney and I'm always amazed by the difference in temperature when I drive up the escarpment to see my sister in the Souther Highlands - even in mid-summer. It can be a sweaty 30+ day down here and yet up there it can be like an English October day - 17 degrees, foggy and wet. Lost track of the number of times I've had to borrow a fleece off her ... really should remember to keep one in the car.
we are newcastle/hunter valley region. when we arrived in august, we wore shorts and t-shirts. everyone was mortified...........but its winter, they used to always say to us. as time goes on over here, you get used to the weather a bit more, and we will probably cover up a bit more come winter time. it is starting to cool down now here, and already i have seen coats etc. i even saw one little boy with woollen gloves on today, and they are selling them in the shops. i however, am still in shorts. this weekend was georgeous, especially sunday. mid 30's, down at the beach and in the sea. it is cold at night time and extra blankets are needed. my sister felt the cold at night a lot we she moved over last may. hth.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:57 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty View Post
we are newcastle/hunter valley region. when we arrived in august, we wore shorts and t-shirts. everyone was mortified...........but its winter, they used to always say to us. as time goes on over here, you get used to the weather a bit more, and we will probably cover up a bit more come winter time. it is starting to cool down now here, and already i have seen coats etc. i even saw one little boy with woollen gloves on today, and they are selling them in the shops. i however, am still in shorts. this weekend was georgeous, especially sunday. mid 30's, down at the beach and in the sea. it is cold at night time and extra blankets are needed. my sister felt the cold at night a lot we she moved over last may. hth.
Well... this could be interesting then

I expect we'll look like tourists for a while, which I don't mind. On the bright side if we do end up staying at least we'll be able to ease into an Australian summer. I told my husband it's better to arrive in the coldest part of the year than the hottest, at least for us anyway.

I guess the best thing to do would be to check the weather during the day there for a while before hand.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:33 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Good insulation and Australia is an oxymoron. Like I said; R3 is considered a lot of insulation here. When we were looking to build we just laughed when the builder told us the standard for exterior walls is R 2 and roof spaces 2.5. His jaw nearly hit the floor when I told him Canada has a minimum R 30 in their building codes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.