British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is the weather a good reason to live in a country? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/weather-good-reason-live-country-686718/)

alexa7 Sep 24th 2010 2:39 am

Is the weather a good reason to live in a country?

We are thinking of moving back to UK simply because I have a better career opportunities there. But I absolutely love the weather in Australia. I know it’s stupid to base a decision on the weather and I know I’ll probably get bored of it in several years while my career will still be non existent in oz, but I’m a woman and I like to live in hot places! Can we have a good weather back in UK please? Or alternatively move all our friends and family to oz?:)

LINZI Sep 24th 2010 3:14 am

Re: Is the weather a good reason to live in a country?

I love the weather here and i wouldnt go back to the uk for anything :thumbup:
In regards to work my hubby has excelled in his career more than he ever would in the uk so its the opposite for us we wouldn't be able to go back to the uk :huh:
only you can decide whats best for you good luck :fingerscrossed:

Wendy Sep 24th 2010 3:20 am

I wouldn't go back to the UK to live at all. But that's nothing to do with the weather really...more that I don't like living there :D Plus I have a pretty good career here and earn more than I would in the same job back there.

Joking aside, I personally think life needs to be about more than work, so based just on that side of it I would stay here.

Family and friends, well that's a different problem really isn't it and really you're the only one that knows whether you can stay here without them or not.

You probably know what you want to do deep down, so you need to go with your instincts. :)

Steve2009 Sep 24th 2010 3:46 am

Given the importance of climate to ones quality of life and mental health I don't think it is silly at all.

moneypenny20 Sep 24th 2010 3:50 am

The climate is very important to my wellbeing. Job opportunities, for us anyway, are no different here from there so the weather plays a huge part in our lives. If the work position was rubbish here and vastly superior there, and there were other reasons to consider, maybe the weather wouldn't be so important although I can't imagine what those reasons would be for us.

bourbon-biscuit Sep 24th 2010 3:54 am

After TEN weeks of rain (well, 10 weeks without a single day not raining) here in the Waikato, I think climate might be rather important :rofl:

lancastrian48 Sep 24th 2010 4:17 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 8872019)
After TEN weeks of rain (well, 10 weeks without a single day not raining) here in the Waikato, I think climate might be rather important :rofl:

australias ace card the wetha

quoll Sep 24th 2010 4:56 am

Nope, not a good reason at all. I'd be following opportunities and people well before I took the weather into consideration although, for me, the weather is a definite con point as far as Aus is concerned - too darned hot.

Seneca21 Sep 24th 2010 5:04 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 8872072)
Nope, not a good reason at all. I'd be following opportunities and people well before I took the weather into consideration although, for me, the weather is a definite con point as far as Aus is concerned - too darned hot.

It's not always really hot though, although this is a common misconception held about Australia in other countries. Anything over, say, 36/38 is pretty uncomfortable if there's no breeze and no aircon, but in places like perth and Adelaide it really only goes higher than that for a few days at a time and usualy only in the November-February zone as well.

Other than that it's usually in the 20s and in the south there's little humidity so it's quite a nice climate.

And also the weather can be a factor in someone's choice-making. If all other things are equal then a nice climate is a bonus.

PaulandNic Sep 24th 2010 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Steve2009 (Post 8872010)
Given the importance of climate to ones quality of life and mental health I don't think it is silly at all.

Agreed, and one of the only reasons we're still here.

Seneca21 Sep 24th 2010 5:30 am

Originally Posted by PaulandNic (Post 8872117)
Agreed, and one of the only reasons we're still here.

But it's a good and valid reason though. People in Australia forget what it's like to head into a seven month winter.

Wendy Sep 24th 2010 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Seneca21 (Post 8872076)
It's not always really hot though, although this is a common misconception held about Australia in other countries...

You're right there!

I got an e-mail from my Aunt today (first one in 4 years) and she said that I must be enjoying the 'lovely hot weather'. Yeah right, it's been under 15 degrees for the past 4 months and I'm freezing! :D

PaulandNic Sep 24th 2010 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Seneca21 (Post 8872121)
But it's a good and valid reason though. People in Australia forget what it's like to head into a seven month winter.

After being a motorcycle courier in london for 10 years, believe me I remember the UK winters very well!

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 8872125)
it's been under 15 degrees for the past 4 months and I'm freezing! :D

Ahhhh, but that's down there! ... ;)

Alfresco Sep 24th 2010 5:48 am

Yes. That's why we left the UK. The weather there is miserable for those of us that grew up in the southern hemisphere and nice warm sunny climes.

The rest of Europe is not much better except for Spain and Portugal and some Med countries.

77hil Sep 24th 2010 5:58 am

If it were -30 degrees where you lived would you leave or stay? If the tempearure is important then I guess weather is an important factor.