Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weather in Aus at the moment

Wikiposts

Weather in Aus at the moment

Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather in Aus at the moment

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Gonna get nippier according to the locals here ... it's the change to westerly winds apparently. Already been down to 5 degrees at night here and that feels Cold Enough in yer standard QLD housing

Gets colder all the way to August so the wizened weather-beaten faces say ... nice days though, lovely blue skies ...
its true, my dad's tattoo's are really itchy so its gonna get chilly! he's like a barometer. classy family i've got!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

thanks for all the replies guys. most helpful.
I was trying to convince myself it would be pretty warm but don't think it's really going to be is it?
I'm going to really miss the warm summer evenings - my fave thing about the UK.
What time does it generally get dark in winter in Aus, in fact all year round in Aus?
Is it similar to the UK?
Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:09 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianneH68
thanks for all the replies guys. most helpful.
I was trying to convince myself it would be pretty warm but don't think it's really going to be is it?
I'm going to really miss the warm summer evenings - my fave thing about the UK.
What time does it generally get dark in winter in Aus, in fact all year round in Aus?
Is it similar to the UK?
Brisbane.
Winter - dark by 5.30pm
Summer - dark by 7.30pm
Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Brisbane.
Winter - dark by 5.30pm
Summer - dark by 7.30pm
Really? That's very early for summer!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:14 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Really? That's very early for summer!
Really. And compared to the UK its quite late for winter. Cant have it both ways .
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:07 pm
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Now as my wife tells me I am not normal as i wear shorts and a tshirt all year round. But yes right now is about the coldest it will be in Perth... around 16 deg c during the day but of course that drops a bit at night to maybe single digits. The wind is what does it so make sure you have your jumpers and something to cut the wind out. Umbrellas aswell.
14C predicted for this Sunday and Monday daytime....

Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:24 am
Badge

Really. And compared to the UK its quite late for winter. Cant have it both ways .
lol.

Objectively - my take - I suppose though that the 2 hour difference in summer 730-930 makes up for the 1 hr difference in winter 0430-0530 - and, more British people use the summer night more than the winter night.

Apart from QLDers who are well known for their morning activities - having said that.

Here in Melbourne we get the best of both worlds, 5-530ish winter, 945p summer.

badge

Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:13 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by Badge
lol.

Objectively - my take - I suppose though that the 2 hour difference in summer 730-930 makes up for the 1 hr difference in winter 0430-0530 - and, more British people use the summer night more than the winter night.

Apart from QLDers who are well known for their morning activities - having said that.

Here in Melbourne we get the best of both worlds, 5-530ish winter, 945p summer.

badge
Problem is of course that living in a tropical/subtropical climate, there is almost no twilight. Even if we had daylight savings, we would still be dark in Brisbane by between 8 & 8.30pm for most of summer. Warm climate = no twilight.

Unfortunately it's true, you cant have it both ways. If you want warm weather, you have to put up with it getting dark earlier. I see some people bitching & complaining about it getting dark early as if its somehow unique to Australia or its Australia's fault or something. If you want twilight that much but don't want to live in the UK, you can always live somewhere that its cold, Norway might be nice .
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:01 pm
Rocket Scientist

Problem is of course that living in a tropical/subtropical climate, there is almost no twilight. Even if we had daylight savings, we would still be dark in Brisbane by between 8 & 8.30pm for most of summer. Warm climate = no twilight.

Unfortunately it's true, you cant have it both ways. If you want warm weather, you have to put up with it getting dark earlier. I see some people bitching & complaining about it getting dark early as if its somehow unique to Australia or its Australia's fault or something. If you want twilight that much but don't want to live in the UK, you can always live somewhere that its cold, Norway might be nice .
I only just noticed the other thread going at the moment called light nights which I hadn't seen before, seems my comments were rather apt!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

oh no - not what I wanted to hear
Trust me to plan my trip just when it's warming up here and getting colder there
So I guess I should assume the days will be fairly pleasant but the nights cold?
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated
I find it very pleasant during the day (sometimes even 'warm'), the nights aren't too bad but I've only been 'ere 5 months so who knows how my barely-acclimatised body will react?!

I keep seeing European backpackers wandering around wearing shorts and t-shirts so I guess it still feels warm to a newcomer
Old Jun 10th 2005, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by glittababe
its true, my dad's tattoo's are really itchy so its gonna get chilly! he's like a barometer. classy family i've got!
You think you've got it bad, my sister sent over a little dress for our newborn and it had the security tag still attached.

It'd be funny if it wasn't true
Old Jun 13th 2005, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi all,
Thanks everyone for the info - been away from my computer for a few days so just catching up.
At least I now feel a bit more prepared/knowledgeable about the climate.
And I wasn't wingeing about the dark nights - it's just something I'd never really thought of!
When you've always lived in one country these are the kinds of things you take for granted and are really useful to know.
My fave thing about the UK weather is probably the late summer evenings so, if I decide to look seriously at a move to Aus, this is one thing I'd have to take into consideration.
So many thanks
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:05 am
ABCDiamond

My daughter complained it was too hot last night and needed the ceiling fan back on !!

I just checked last nights temps, and it didn't go below 19.2 °C and that was at 01:20am.

It's now 20.6 °C at 9am

Old Jun 13th 2005, 1:17 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I am freezing this morning!! Although.. if you believe my other half... I'm abnormally cold...a lot.

Got the heater on under my feet at work and my fingers and nose are icicles!
The good thing is... this is as cold as it gets *Whew!*

Siren
Old Jun 13th 2005, 1:31 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
I am freezing this morning!! Although.. if you believe my other half... I'm abnormally cold...a lot.

Got the heater on under my feet at work and my fingers and nose are icicles!
The good thing is... this is as cold as it gets *Whew!*

Siren

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.