Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weather in Aus at the moment

Weather in Aus at the moment

Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Weather in Aus at the moment

Hi all,
I'll be heading to Perth in three weeks to begin a few months travelling around Aus.
I noticed on a website that the tempertaure in Perth is currently around 19 degrees.
Can anyone tell me if this is about as cold as it's likely to get in the next month?
And, for those people who are there, does it feel cold?
I'll be heading north after a week or so in Perth so not too worried about that, but will then be heading down the east coast to arrive in Sydney around mid-end August.
Can I expect a similar temperature there, or will it have started warming up by then?
Thanks guys,
Dianne
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:57 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Weather in Aus at the moment

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Hi all,
I'll be heading to Perth in three weeks to begin a few months travelling around Aus.
I noticed on a website that the tempertaure in Perth is currently around 19 degrees.
Can anyone tell me if this is about as cold as it's likely to get in the next month?
I'll be heading north after a week or so in Perth so not too worried about that, but will then be heading down the east coast to arrive in Sydney around mid-end August.
Can I expect a similar temperature there, or will it have started warming up by then?
Thanks guys,
Dianne
Without wishing to sound cheeky, 19 degrees is 19 degrees. It's 'ok' heat although in the evenings it can get chilly. That's in Brissie anyway. If Perth is as windy as everyone makes out, maybe it will feel even cooler. I would certainly bring some long-sleeved tops.

R
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Without wishing to sound cheeky, 19 degrees is 19 degrees. It's 'ok' heat although in the evenings it can get chilly. That's in Brissie anyway. If Perth is as windy as everyone makes out, maybe it will feel even cooler. I would certainly bring some long-sleeved tops.

R
thanks. are the current temperatures around the country pretty much as low as they are likely to get? Haven't quite got my head around the Aussie seasons yet
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

thanks. are the current temperatures around the country pretty much as low as they are likely to get? Haven't quite got my head around the Aussie seasons yet
Gonna get nippier according to the locals here ... it's the change to westerly winds apparently. Already been down to 5 degrees at night here and that feels Cold Enough in yer standard QLD housing

Gets colder all the way to August so the wizened weather-beaten faces say ... nice days though, lovely blue skies ...
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Gonna get nippier according to the locals here ... it's the change to westerly winds apparently. Already been down to 5 degrees at night here and that feels Cold Enough in yer standard QLD housing

Gets colder all the way to August so the wizened weather-beaten faces say ... nice days though, lovely blue skies ...
oh no - not what I wanted to hear
Trust me to plan my trip just when it's warming up here and getting colder there
So I guess I should assume the days will be fairly pleasant but the nights cold?
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:35 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney starts to warm up end of sept beginning of Oct. Bring a jumper and for the evening a coat.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:26 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Thanks guys,
Dianne
Now as my wife tells me I am not normal as i wear shorts and a tshirt all year round. But yes right now is about the coldest it will be in Perth... around 16 deg c during the day but of course that drops a bit at night to maybe single digits. The wind is what does it so make sure you have your jumpers and something to cut the wind out. Umbrellas aswell.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

oh no - not what I wanted to hear
Trust me to plan my trip just when it's warming up here and getting colder there
So I guess I should assume the days will be fairly pleasant but the nights cold?
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated
I asked some locals about the weather today and apparently we are going through a warm spell. Normally around now you get a little rain and the temps have gone down...Come Mid-Late August it will star to rise a little bit but it doesn't get properly warm until about October....

I am sure whenever you are here it will be fine...and still a lot better than old blightly weather!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Thanks guys,
Dianne
20C on a winter's day in Australia 'feels' colder than a 20C summer's day in the UK. At least that's my opinion.

Part of the reason for this is the sun - while in the UK at 3pm in the summer, the sun is still high in the sky, by 3pm on a winter's day in southern Australia it's already dipping towards the horizon.

Hence your 20C in the winter in Australia may only be sustained for a short time around 1pm, with temperature dropping quickly in the afternoon.

The start of September in Sydney can often involve a last gasp of winter with some cold winds and rain - usually by mid September it's becoming warmer with consistent 21C days.

Jeremy
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
The wind is what does it so make sure you have your jumpers and something to cut the wind out.

Bring some Setlers Windeze , it should solve that problem. Oh and avoid eating beans, cabbage etc

JTL
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

'Course the ambient temp is measured out of the sun and the wind, so I reckon 20C feels colder here because the wind feels cooler. Currently in Melbourne its 21.5C with no wind and it feels quite hot. I nipped out from work in my car at lunchtime and had to have the air con on. In June!!?? Apparently the hottest ever June day in Melb is 22.?C.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:33 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Here, in Brisbane at least, the coldest part of winter is the last 2 weeks of July & first 2 weeks of August. It usually starts to warm up again by the last week of August/first 2 weeks of Sept.

Daytime temps in winter here are usually around 20-21 degrees with the occasional cold day, down to 18. Night time temps are usually in the low single figures, so you will definitely need something warm for the evenings, although you will be comfortable in tshirt during the day, particularly in the sun or out of the wind. August is the time for westerly winds in Brisbane which sends the temperature plummeting ( localspeak for "its dropped below 20 degrees ).

So far this year I think its been remarkably mild. I didnt even put a jumper on last night & no heating in our house - still only had a tshirt on when I went to bed at midnight (yes I had pants, I mean on top ).
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:44 am
ABCDiamond

Hi all,
Thanks guys,
Dianne
You can compare the Perth weather for 2004, on a daily basis, here:
Perth June 2004
Perth July 2004

and here is Sydney weather

Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,
Thanks guys,
Dianne
Have a look at http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJDW0200.shtml It gives daily weather observations for the last 12 months, it will give a good indication of the weather on a daily monthly basis.

Sam
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:48 am
Badge

Originally Posted by JAJ
20C on a winter's day in Australia 'feels' colder than a 20C summer's day in the UK. At least that's my opinion.

Part of the reason for this is the sun - while in the UK at 3pm in the summer, the sun is still high in the sky, by 3pm on a winter's day in southern Australia it's already dipping towards the horizon.

Hence your 20C in the winter in Australia may only be sustained for a short time around 1pm, with temperature dropping quickly in the afternoon.

The start of September in Sydney can often involve a last gasp of winter with some cold winds and rain - usually by mid September it's becoming warmer with consistent 21C days.

Jeremy

as you say the max of 20c is only for a few hours.It's a max, not the all day temp.

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.