We want a dog!

Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:15 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation We want a dog!

Hi Guys,

We want a dog but the owner of the house says NO!( we asked for permission from the owner about 3weeks ago,)we were so close this morning to buying a retriever & thought the sensible thing was to contact our agent & ask her advice as the owner had not replied to our plea .....seemingly she had heard from the owner this morning & he refused to allow us to have a dog
It does say in our contract Strictly No Pets,we have rented for 12months.

Has anyone just went ahead & got a dog regardless of what the owner has said? whats the worst that could happen? we have 3monthly visits from the agent,the owner may never find out IF we did get a dog but im sure the agent would eventually!

We had to give up our British Bull dog a few months before we came here,we know whats involved with keeping dogs(weve had boxers & bullys for 10yrs) but how do you convince a stranger that your new puppy wont destroy/mess thier home?

Any way around this?

Donna.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We want a dog!

You may have to just wait till you can rent somewhere else.
Don't risk getting a dog without the owners' permission - he can issue you witha Breach of Contract notice, and have your contract withdrawn, thus making you homeless.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:25 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine the owner could evict you and keep the bond if he found out Donna.

I don't think you have an option but to respect the owners wishes.
He is the owner and if you don't want to abide by the contract terms you need to move elsewhere.

Sorry that sounds a bit hard.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:29 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi Guys,

We want a dog but the owner of the house says NO!( we asked for permission from the owner about 3weeks ago,)we were so close this morning to buying a retriever & thought the sensible thing was to contact our agent & ask her advice as the owner had not replied to our plea .....seemingly she had heard from the owner this morning & he refused to allow us to have a dog
It does say in our contract Strictly No Pets,we have rented for 12months.

Has anyone just went ahead & got a dog regardless of what the owner has said? whats the worst that could happen? we have 3monthly visits from the agent,the owner may never find out IF we did get a dog but im sure the agent would eventually!

We had to give up our British Bull dog a few months before we came here,we know whats involved with keeping dogs(weve had boxers & bullys for 10yrs) but how do you convince a stranger that your new puppy wont destroy/mess thier home?

Any way around this?

Donna.
Hi Donna

Risky business getting a pooch if it says no in the contract....

The owner will want to inspect his property and if he sees a dog he can chuck you out.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
Hi Donna

Risky business getting a pooch if it says no in the contract....

The owner will want to inspect his property and if he sees a dog he can chuck you out.
Yeah, it may also count against you if try renting elsewhere, as your old landlord may not give you a reference.
Aww, what a negative thread this has turned out to be.

I also desperately want a dog when we finally get to Oz, but don't think we'll be getting one for a while.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:43 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i know,hence the fact we phoned the agent,were not the kind of people who would just go ahead regardless even though the thought does cross our minds!

I think the fact that the owner has just had to give us a backdated rebate on the rent because the garden was not completed, has influenced his decission somewhat

The house is lovely & brand new,i could quite easily settle here,but we all want a dog,maybe a childish point of view but our family doesnt feel complete without one.

There are many advantages & dissadvantages to having a dog,i guess for the time being we will just have to mull it over for another 10months or so

Donna.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:45 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i know,hence the fact we phoned the agent,were not the kind of people who would just go ahead regardless even though the thought does cross our minds!

I think the fact that the owner has just had to give us a backdated rebate on the rent because the garden was not completed, has influenced his decission somewhat

The house is lovely & brand new,i could quite easily settle here,but we all want a dog,maybe a childish point of view but our family doesnt feel complete without one.

There are many advantages & dissadvantages to having a dog,i guess for the time being we will just have to mull it over for another 10months or so

Donna.
Hey Donna

Have a lok at my puppy who is now 4 times the size since this was taken

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...cat=500&page=1
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:50 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Hey Donna

Cheers Walla, now I want a dog aswell. SO cute, where did you get him from? was it a breeder and if so do you have the contact details you could PM me.

Cheers
Kala
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:55 am

What kind of time limit do you get then if you breech your contract,surely you cant just be chucked out on the street instantly??

If the agent/ owner came to inspect the premises & seen that all was clean,tidy,no damage etc,what could be done? i feel as if im waiting on a telling off from my father-pocket money suspended or something !!

Worst case scenario? has anyone went ahead & what happened?

Donna.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:00 am

Hey Donna

That really helps Walla!! rub salt in why dont ya!
I seen a pic of him a few days ago,what a cutie!!

Donna.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:06 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of time limit do you get then if you breech your contract,surely you cant just be chucked out on the street instantly??

If the agent/ owner came to inspect the premises & seen that all was clean,tidy,no damage etc,what could be done? i feel as if im waiting on a telling off from my father-pocket money suspended or something !!

Donna.
HAving just read all the bumpf about renting which the RTA has sent us, I can tell you quite assuredly, if you break your contract by getting a dog, the owner can evict you.
It would appear that he can issue you with a notice asking that you "fix the problem" - ie get rid of the dog. After 7 days if you have not done that, he can give you 14 days notice to leave.
You can be listed on a database of tenants, which may go against you renting again, and most places will want a reference from your current landlord before renting to you.

Don't risk it Donna, its not worth it.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:12 am
ABCDiamond

Donna.
This info is from the Queensland Residential Tenancies Authority http://www.rta.qld.gov.au

The tenant can be given 7 days to fix the problem. (ie get rid of the dog)

If they don't fix the problem within the time allowed, the lessor/agent can give the tenant a Notice to Leave (giving them 14 days notice to leave).

edit: (Polly beat me to it, while I was typing But we used very similar wording )

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Mar 12th 2005 at 10:14 am.

Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:18 am
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Cheers Walla, now I want a dog aswell. SO cute, where did you get him from? was it a breeder and if so do you have the contact details you could PM me.

Cheers
Kala
Hi Kala

Bought him off a couple of mates who brought their dogs together..

Buy the Sunday Times tomorrow, there'll be a few breeders in there.

If you have no luck I'll PM you a breeder I know of who breeds Wienmeraners in Canning Vale
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:20 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
This info is from the Queensland Residential Tenancies Authority http://www.rta.qld.gov.au

If they don't fix the problem within the time allowed, the lessor/agent can give the tenant a Notice to Leave (giving them 14 days notice to leave).

edit: (Polly beat me to it, while I was typing But we used very similar wording )
Good to know that the RTA is consistent in its position on dogs!
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Oh well then dont worry folks, although it breaks our hearts not having a dog,my kids & a roof over their heads comes first.

Donna.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.