Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are We Too Old/unqualified?

Are We Too Old/unqualified?

Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

honkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are We Too Old/unqualified?

I am 45, my husband is 43 and we have an 11 year old son. I work in office/ school administration, and my husband has his own small building business doing all aspects of building work including kitchen/bathroom fitting, tiling, plastering etc (except electrical and gas work). We would love to emigrate but are we too old, and we also have no proper qualifications (on paper).
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:09 pm
poynter

poynters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are We Too Old/unqualified?

Originally Posted by honkey
I am 45, my husband is 43 and we have an 11 year old son. I work in office/ school administration, and my husband has his own small building business doing all aspects of building work including kitchen/bathroom fitting, tiling, plastering etc (except electrical and gas work). We would love to emigrate but are we too old, and we also have no proper qualifications (on paper).
hi, just saw your mail,have you had any replies as we are in the same boat, I am a medical secretary 40 and my hub is in the same trade as your hub but only 40. I am a bit confused on this site as I dont seem to be able to contact persons easily, how do you put mailing on?.
thanks
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Won't your husband have a trade on the Skilled Occupation List?

This is a good search engine for job information

http://www.acacia-au.com/occupation-search.php

I'm new to this site (and correct me if i'm wrong) but from the sounds of it, if you have a trade I don't think you need a qualification providing he has worked for so many years. But again that's just an assumption?

Hope i've helped.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:42 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a job on the skills list and are under 45 you can apply,you and your son would go on your OH's visa.

You should ring an agent you normally get a free 20 minute consultation and they would advise you if you fit the criteria. There are plenty of reccommendations on here if you do a search.

You dont need qualifications if you have a trade and I think it is 6 years experience you need to have although you should have worked 12 of the last 18 months in your nominated occupation.

Hope this helps

Kaye
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by honkey

Hello and welcome to the site. Have a look at www.immi.gov.au it should give you some information. If you OH does not have certificates but has a trade, he will have to prove how he gained his experience of this and back it up with references. It might also be a good idea, as previously mentioned to contact an agent to get some free advise. Good luck and if you need any further information please do not hesitate to ask.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say EMPLOY an agent. Yes I know it can cost a few thousand pounds but since it's not a straight forward case and you are reaching 45 then you need to get it right first time.