Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We passed our WA Driving Test!

We passed our WA Driving Test!

Old Apr 18th 2003, 12:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default We passed our WA Driving Test!

My wife and I passed our driving tests yesterday. We'd been putting it off but decided to bite the bullet.

In WA it's theory only for existing UK license holders and you do it in a room full of PCs with headphones on.

It really helped to download the application to practice the test from:

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/skills/

Also, for a 5 year licence for my the two of us including admin fees was about $280.00. You can only pay with cash or cheque there are no EFTPOS or credit card facilities.

You need to take: passport, UK license, something with your signature on it and a household bill with your name and address on it.

You can get 1 year licenses for less, about $35.00 plus a one off admin fee.

I passed my bike test too, that cosists of 15 easy questions, no need to mug up for this one.

If you've held a full license in the UK for less than 2 years you have to have a P plate over here.

A UK car license automatically transfers to a light goods license here (under 8 tonnes) this doesn't happen if you are a local, so if your wife needs to get work driving a removals van, presto, she already has the license.

Finally there are a couple of testing places in Perth but Joondalup was very quiet, we were in and out withing about 90 minutes. The other testing places can take hours apparently, so try to get to Joondalup if you can.

P.S.

It's great here, don't let anyone put you off.

Dan & Cheryl
Old Apr 18th 2003, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We passed our WA Driving Test!

Hi renth, glad you are enjoying it.

Did they keep your old UK passport or deface it in any way?

Going to SA and have to take the practical aswell. Yikes!

Mash...

Originally posted by renth
My wife and I passed our driving tests yesterday. We'd been putting it off but decided to bite the bullet.

In WA it's theory only for existing UK license holders and you do it in a room full of PCs with headphones on.

Also, for a 5 year licence for my the two of us including admin fees was about $280.00. You can only pay with cash or cheque there are no EFTPOS or credit card facilities.

You need to take: passport, UK license, something with your signature on it and a household bill with your name and address on it.

I passed my bike test too, that cosists of 15 easy questions, no need to mug up for this one.

If you've held a full license in the UK for less than 2 years you have to have a P plate over here.

A UK car license automatically transfers to a light goods license here (under 8 tonnes) this doesn't happen if you are a local, so if your wife needs to get work driving a removals van, presto, she already has the license.

Finally there are a couple of testing places in Perth but Joondalup was very quiet, we were in and out withing about 90 minutes. The other testing places can take hours apparently, so try to get to Joondalup if you can.

P.S.

Dan & Cheryl
Old Apr 18th 2003, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Originally posted by renth

P.S.

Dan & Cheryl

Well done
We plan to take the theory test when we come over in May, if it's possible
Hope everything else is going ok
c-ya
Dave and Yve
Old Apr 18th 2003, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

Both me and my wife passed our tests first time ! (theory only). I was amazed that if you don't pass you can just turn up the next day and try again. You don't pay anything until you pass.

Don't know why but we were both given an HGV license but we only had standard UK car licenses. Has this happened to anyone else ?
Old Apr 18th 2003, 3:23 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mashiraz
Did they keep your old UK passport or deface it in any way?
I hope not!
Old Apr 18th 2003, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ptlabs
I hope not!
Hi ptlabs,

I think Mash meant Driving License,

What all this about HGV'S ???

Cheers,
Old Apr 18th 2003, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

'Course I did, thanks for putting me right scoobs!

Mash...

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Hi ptlabs,

Cheers,
Old Apr 18th 2003, 10:47 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Hi ptlabs,

Cheers,
They don't do anything to the UK license, but you are not allowed to drive with it, you have to use the temp WA ones they give you on the day untill the permanent ones arrive.

You get a license for vehicles under 8 tonnes, which you have anyway on a UK car license, they carry it over.

It's just locals don't automatically get it when they pass their full (practical and theory) car test here.

You certainly won't be able to drive a roadtrain.

Last edited by renth; Apr 18th 2003 at 10:49 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2003, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Matt & Jo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Matt and I also passed our tests first time!! (didn't in England!!)
and were both given HGV licences, a lot of other members of this site too have the HGV licence. So a career in trucking may be an option!!

We did our tests in Myaree and were in and out in about 30 minutes, very quick very simple.

Love Jo xx
Old Apr 27th 2003, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]Originally posted by renth

Hi Dan, great news about the tests, especially the bike test.
Did you take your old steed with you or are you going to get a monster over there(harleys are my favorite, cheaper then the uk too).
I've always fancied changing my career to being a courier instead of a gas man !!HA HA LOL, but now I might consider being a trucker out there!
By the way where abouts is the test centre in joondalup as I fancy getting the tests out the way as soon as poss when we get there end of may.

CUL8TR

Dave & Yve

Last edited by abergas; Apr 27th 2003 at 9:40 am.