Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We are moving to Townsville, can you help please.

We are moving to Townsville, can you help please.

Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Bluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant future
Default We are moving to Townsville, can you help please.

Hi there, my husband has just got a job in Townsville. He's due to start in August 2009. We currently live in Scotland so as you can imagine we are in for a bit of a change!
We have three children, two boys 14 and 12 and a little girl aged 2. We are all very excited.
Can anyone out there tell me what Townsville is like? What is the best area to live in? Where are the best schools? What is the cost of living like? Are there plenty of palaces to buy a car? Are the locals inviting? Is it too hot?
Are there many brits living there?
I could go on and on!
I'd really aprreciate anyone out there putting my mind at ease.
Thank you.
Bluekim.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

ireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud of
Default Re: We are moving to Townsville, can you help please.

hi

Best places to look at are annandale,douglas,fairfield waters, private schools can be expensive,but some of the state schools are just as good with good reputations,yes it gets hot,but plenty to do for children , check out rabc posts on townsvilles surburbs,or search townsville on this site you will get plenty of posts,hope this helps
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:03 am
Just Joined

tracey.abdn is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

I moved to Townsville from Aberdeen in October this year - can tell you that it is a very friendly place, the beach (the Strand) is lovely and there are plenty of family activities.

My best advice for the weather is get a house with airconditioning you will def need it. At present the hotest part of the day reaches about 31oC but it is also humid. A house with a pool if you can get one is also a good idea.

Plenty of places to buy cars - there needs to be as their bus system over here is nothing like that of back at home.

Hope the move goes well

Tracey
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bluekim
Hi there, my husband has just got a job in Townsville. He's due to start in August 2009. We currently live in Scotland so as you can imagine we are in for a bit of a change!
We have three children, two boys 14 and 12 and a little girl aged 2. We are all very excited.
Can anyone out there tell me what Townsville is like? What is the best area to live in? Where are the best schools? What is the cost of living like? Are there plenty of palaces to buy a car? Are the locals inviting? Is it too hot?
I could go on and on!
Thank you.
Bluekim.

Greetings from Redneck central - nah I jest

We have been here for a bit over 3 years and it's flown by. Believe me, there are far worse places in the world to be and the weather really aint that bad! It can be really on humid and hot from Nov/Dec - Mar but not all the time. The rest of the year as a perfect 25-28°C. Sounds hot by UK standards I know but once you have been here for a bit it's suprising how quickly it becomes the norm. All this talk of oppressive heat is true to some extent mainly becuase it fairly in the tropics but there again it's bloody cold and miserable in the UK but only for a few months a year and you suffer it for the good bits. Same here but the other way around. The rest of the year is worth it.

Tons of work, very wealthey and sustainable city. Good bits and bad as there is everywhere. My rundown of the suberbs still holds true but probably needs an update..............soon (after I get out of the pool) It is November of course
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

koalatea is on a distinguished road

If a man called Kevin offers you the chance to sail the coast for a few weeks in return for sharing the petrol costs think twice. Especially if he's a rotund old bronze chap wearing tiny Speedos. He was lovely, but his catamaran was down to half an engine and we got stuck in Townsville harbour for days cos it couldn't battle the strong winds coming from the south.

Should have been skeptical when he said he was called Kevin I suppose...
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:16 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rabc
Greetings from Redneck central - nah I jest

We have been here for a bit over 3 years and it's flown by. Believe me, there are far worse places in the world to be and the weather really aint that bad! It can be really on humid and hot from Nov/Dec - Mar but not all the time. The rest of the year as a perfect 25-28°C. Sounds hot by UK standards I know but once you have been here for a bit it's suprising how quickly it becomes the norm. All this talk of oppressive heat is true to some extent mainly becuase it fairly in the tropics but there again it's bloody cold and miserable in the UK but only for a few months a year and you suffer it for the good bits. Same here but the other way around. The rest of the year is worth it.

Tons of work, very wealthey and sustainable city. Good bits and bad as there is everywhere. My rundown of the suberbs still holds true but probably needs an update..............soon (after I get out of the pool) It is November of course

Hi Rob hope all is well

I trust you will include North Shore in your updated rundown of the suburbs

To the OP, Townsville really is a great place to live and I agree with all of Rabc's points above (who incidently helped us greatly when we made our move over here 2 years ago) but one person's idea of a great school or suburb might not appeal to you. It depends on where you're working, your lifestyle, if your child is academic or sporty......can you give us a bit more info so we can help you more.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Bluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant future
Red face Re: We are moving to Townsville, can you help please.

Thanks everyone. I am really grateful that you all took the time to answer my questions.
The schools are going to be the BIG thing for us, as our two boys are 14 and 12. They are both very acadamic and both very sporty too. Is there such a school in TV?
I know July 2009 is a long way from now but it would be great to establish some friendships even before we get there. Having friends in the know is such a help especially with a big move like this.
I could be of some use by packing items from the UK that you have really missed. But I'll make sure to leave the weather behind!
I'm in my late 30's and my husband has just passed the 40 mark. As I said before we have three children 14, 12 and two. And also a jack russel who we are hoping to bring with us (depending on costs of course, otherwise we will have a fight on our hands as to which relations get him as they all love him to bits).
We all love sports and being outside. Love to entertain too. Had a few Murder Mystery parties that were a ball.
I'm not going to be looking for work but will be looking for a nursery and a pal to breakfast/lunch and laugh with!
Can't wait to get to TV.
Any more advice greatly received.
Take care and enjoy.
Kim.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:22 am
Danny

drdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone. I am really grateful that you all took the time to answer my questions.
The schools are going to be the BIG thing for us, as our two boys are 14 and 12. They are both very acadamic and both very sporty too. Is there such a school in TV?
I know July 2009 is a long way from now but it would be great to establish some friendships even before we get there. Having friends in the know is such a help especially with a big move like this.
I could be of some use by packing items from the UK that you have really missed. But I'll make sure to leave the weather behind!
I'm in my late 30's and my husband has just passed the 40 mark. As I said before we have three children 14, 12 and two. And also a jack russel who we are hoping to bring with us (depending on costs of course, otherwise we will have a fight on our hands as to which relations get him as they all love him to bits).
We all love sports and being outside. Love to entertain too. Had a few Murder Mystery parties that were a ball.
I'm not going to be looking for work but will be looking for a nursery and a pal to breakfast/lunch and laugh with!
Can't wait to get to TV.
Take care and enjoy.
Kim.
Hey Kim, good luck with the move. We've been here just under a year now. My wife Emma is from Ayrshire & we had a 2 year stint in NZ before ending up here in TSV. We have a 7 year old boy & 11 yo girl, both are at Grammar School. They settled in really quickly and love it. See their website for info.

I've posted some pics in another thread if you haven't come across them already.

Shout if you have any other questions.

Danny
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Danny,
my husband is from Ayrshire too, Girvan to be precise.
Which school are your children at? And what area of TSV do you stay in if you don't mind me asking?
Will check out your other threads.
Many thanks and keep it coming.
Kim.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:55 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait to get to TV.
Take care and enjoy.
Kim.
Hi Kim

If you're looking for a state school then I would recommend Kirwan High, but from what you say you would need to get them on to the top scholar/laptop or sports excellence programs.

http://www.kirwanshs.eq.edu.au/

My son is doing top scholar/laptop excellence and like your two boys is also academic and sporty. I'm very happy with the school but it is huge!

Kirwan is a large suburb and has some very nice and some not so nice parts to it. Some very new and some older. Lots of shopping, cinemas, restaurants, everything you need really and close to a lovely free swimming lagoon. Kirwan also has Dairy Farmers Stadium which is home to the North Queensland Cowboys (Elton John played there when he toured Australia) and the Tony Ireland Stadium for AFL. It's about 20 minutes drive to the CBD and the Strand (beach) and I think a good choice for families. Fairfield Waters and Annandale also seem popular but I don't know much about schools in these areas and they are a bit more expensive but you have got the Murray Sports Stadium nearby. I actually don't really like Fairfield Waters at all but other people rave about it which is why I say it really does come down to personal choice. I hope this helps a little bit...keep the questions coming and I'll do my best to answer them. I take it you'll be renting at least to start with?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Do we have to pay school fees in Townsville? If so how much are they?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 8:38 pm
cheeky tart

Do we have to pay school fees in Townsville? If so how much are they?
You don't pay for state schools, well only for the books etc and laptop if on a laptop pregame.

Townsville Grammar is private and does have an excellent reputation but is expensive.

http://www.tgs.qld.edu.au/

Cathedral and Ryan are also popular choices if you want private.

http://www.cathedral.qld.edu.au/

http://www.ryancatholiccollege.qld.edu.au/
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:02 pm
Danny

drdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud of

TGS feels are approx $5.5k per year for the junior school (to year 6/age 11).

Originally Posted by The A Team

Townsville Grammar is private and does have an excellent reputation but is expensive.

http://www.tgs.qld.edu.au/
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 11:39 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I could go on and on!
Thank you.
Bluekim.
Yes it is not a bad place, but no-one has thought to mention that during the cyclone season, Townsville is one of the areas that could be affected. Just thought that you should be aware of that fact.
What to do:
http://previous.townsville.qld.gov.a...y/cyclones.asp
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Yes it is not a bad place, but no-one has thought to mention that during the cyclone season, Townsville is one of the areas that could be affected. Just thought that you should be aware of that fact.
What to do:
http://previous.townsville.qld.gov.a...y/cyclones.asp

Dead right mate, The chances of a greater than Cat 3 Cyclone increase year after year and one is well overdue. There has been significant developement (Forest Shores, North Shore, Fairfield Waters, Rupertswood etc etc) which are built on the flood plains of the Bohle and Ross River. I would'nt fancy being a property owner in the event of a 5m storm surge. They are built on the "it'll be right mate" philosopy of risk management - trouble is you cant float on that

A little example is our house. 20m above sea level and out of the surge zone. Our house insurance has risen from $550 to $1100 this year. Lets hope they don't know something we don't know.

When cyclone Larry was heading straight for Townsville it's wind speed was 150-200Kph (upto 120mph - not unheard of in the UK) by the time it reached the coast 18hours later wind speeds where upto 320kph - now that is something to worry about. I was heavily involved in the Innisfail clear up from day one and I can tell you it was utter devistantion but one thing I did notice was there was shit everywhere as nobody had cleared up and the houses that were damaged were mainly old and wooden. Most of the ones built to cyclone standards stood up OK. Get yourself in a post 2000 house and be sensible and I reckon you will be OK -

It hasnt stopped us living here and it shouldnt stop you but you have to be aware. The place is well prepared but it's the risk you take living in the tropics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.