Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We are moving to Townsville, can you help please.

We are moving to Townsville, can you help please.

Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant future
Default Re: We are moving to Townsville, can you help please.

Originally Posted by drdan
TGS feels are approx $5.5k per year for the junior school (to year 6/age 11).
Is it the normal thing to do, put the children into private school? Here in the UK are children attend a state school and are both doing really well. We have thought in the past about private schools but think that our children are preforming very well in state run schools. What is the standard of education like in TSV state schools?
Thanks again for everyones info, it is really helping.
From Kim in a snowy Stirling.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluekim
Hi there, my husband has just got a job in Townsville. He's due to start in August 2009. We currently live in Scotland so as you can imagine we are in for a bit of a change!
We have three children, two boys 14 and 12 and a little girl aged 2. We are all very excited.
Can anyone out there tell me what Townsville is like? What is the best area to live in? Where are the best schools? What is the cost of living like? Are there plenty of palaces to buy a car? Are the locals inviting? Is it too hot?
Are there many brits living there?
I could go on and on!
I'd really aprreciate anyone out there putting my mind at ease.
Thank you.
Bluekim.

Hi There,

I think the best thing you can do is come with an open mind. yes its hot and humid in the summer, but like so many people have said before, it doesn't last forever...and the rains are pretty awesome too.We have been here over 3yrs now and never bore of the weather, you adjust to the climate quite quickly...and learn to spend heaps of time in the pool
There are many good places to live, but you do have to go and see for yourself rather than just listen to others. We have lived in quite a few places around Townsville and have found Kirwan, Pallarenda and Annandale to be lovely. I have to say that Kirwan is fab as it has all the facilities to hand to cater for everyone, with or without kids..Pallarenda is stunning, abit out of the way and right on the beach...bit dodgy when cyclone Larry threatened to stop by
There are definite areas that I would personally avoid and being a community nurse I do go to all suburbs so have experienced these areas...Rabc covers most of these in his original post.
I personally would think about what it is you want out of life, where you will work, what you want to be close to..don't limit yourself to just one area.
As one poster has put in about Annandale etc, these are nice places, I live in Annandale now.But I would say that it is pricier and there aren't a huge amount of amenities around here, whereas Kirwan is central to all the amenities and of course the gorgeous Riverway...aswell as shopping centres.
Kirwan High school is fab as The A team has also put, and I would highly recommend Cranbrook state school(primary).
Good luck with everything and if you need any advice feel free to ask.

Trish
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluekim
Is it the normal thing to do, put the children into private school? Here in the UK are children attend a state school and are both doing really well. We have thought in the past about private schools but think that our children are preforming very well in state run schools. What is the standard of education like in TSV state schools?
Thanks again for everyones info, it is really helping.
From Kim in a snowy Stirling.

Me again,

Everyone does different things here. Our kids attended state schools in the uk and attend state schools here, the standard of education in the schools our kids attend is brilliant.
Again, its personal choice
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rabc
Dead right mate, The chances of a greater than Cat 3 Cyclone increase year after year and one is well overdue. There has been significant developement (Forest Shores, North Shore, Fairfield Waters, Rupertswood etc etc) which are built on the flood plains of the Bohle and Ross River. I would'nt fancy being a property owner in the event of a 5m storm surge. They are built on the "it'll be right mate" philosopy of risk management - trouble is you cant float on that

A little example is our house. 20m above sea level and out of the surge zone. Our house insurance has risen from $550 to $1100 this year. Lets hope they don't know something we don't know.

When cyclone Larry was heading straight for Townsville it's wind speed was 150-200Kph (upto 120mph - not unheard of in the UK) by the time it reached the coast 18hours later wind speeds where upto 320kph - now that is something to worry about. I was heavily involved in the Innisfail clear up from day one and I can tell you it was utter devistantion but one thing I did notice was there was shit everywhere as nobody had cleared up and the houses that were damaged were mainly old and wooden. Most of the ones built to cyclone standards stood up OK. Get yourself in a post 2000 house and be sensible and I reckon you will be OK -

It hasnt stopped us living here and it shouldnt stop you but you have to be aware. The place is well prepared but it's the risk you take living in the tropics
Hello me darlin'!!

Yep we remember when cyclone Larry was off shore don't we....bit scarey watching the coconuts whizz past the windows!
Living by the beach was certainly a wee bit scarey then.
They reckon we are going to get one this year or early next....water temp is right etc...
Hope you are both well, must catch up soon.

Take care

Trish
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Bluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jimtrish
Hello me darlin'!!

Yep we remember when cyclone Larry was off shore don't we....bit scarey watching the coconuts whizz past the windows!
Living by the beach was certainly a wee bit scarey then.
They reckon we are going to get one this year or early next....water temp is right etc...
Hope you are both well, must catch up soon.

Take care

Trish
Hi Trish,
many thanks for all of the infomation you gave me, it is really starting to give me an idea of life in Townsville. And with people like you living there too I know that we are doing the right thing. We are all very excited about the move and want to make sure that we get a house in a good area as I think that can make the whole thing go a little smoother.
Well thanks again for taking the time to help me out. Love to get together once we are there.
From Kim.