are we mental?

Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are we mental?

Originally Posted by JenniGee
The suburb is Eltham, though we like Montmorency too....plenty of house for your money there, good links into the CBD & it just feels like you're out in the countryside... hills, trees, very nice
I think some of that area is very under-rated and very good value, all around Greensborough really.

Many people seem to be completely obsessed with the South East and IMO it's now totally overpriced, over-rated and over-crowded. (Trains, Roads etc)

Part of the reason I am in Point Cook is because it is less than half the monthly rental for an equivalent house in the South East - 2-3 years of living here and I have an extra $50K for a deposit in an area that I actually want to live in. If I'd gone straight to live in Prahran or Armadale I be spending loads every month, have a lot less for a deposit and probably not a chance of actually affording to buy there. Guess it comes down to the fact that you occasionally need to make sacrifices along the way to get what you want eventually.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I think some of that area is very under-rated and very good value, all around Greensborough really.

Many people seem to be completely obsessed with the South East and IMO it's now totally overpriced, over-rated and over-crowded. (Trains, Roads etc)
Not sure how underrated it is....Shire of Nilumbuk in which Eltham sits was voted 3 out of 590 in yet another random quality of life index! Banyule sits right up there as well (31).

OH's parents live in Eltham in a stunning property with the Yarra running at the bottom of the block! You could be miles from anywhere but in reality you're just a few km's from the city.

For now though....my sacrifice is probably living in that overcrowded and overrated south east! Maybe in a few years I'd consider living out there - for now I still need to live a little!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Not sure how underrated it is....Shire of Nilumbuk in which Eltham sits was voted 3 out of 590 in yet another random quality of life index! Banyule sits right up there as well (31).
No, I mean based on property. You can get pretty good value there compared to the South East, or many other regions for that matter.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Yep...we do have someone over there who we would trust to look it over...I guess it might be an idea to tell them too However, we would get a good surveyor involved & get a good relationship going with the local agents too.

The suburb is Eltham, though we like Montmorency too....plenty of house for your money there, good links into the CBD & it just feels like you're out in the countryside... hills, trees, very nice
I would not like to buy here unless I was able to look myself and do all the checking. Buying real estate here is Buyer Beware and you cannot pull out of the contract once signed and unconditional. You can get archi centre to look the house over or similar but what are you going to do all the way over in UK.

Not very wise. Its not like the UK where the house is sold and the buyer pulls out etc. You lose your ten percent deposit here if you do.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:07 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

OH's parents live in Eltham in a stunning property with the Yarra running at the bottom of the block! You could be miles from anywhere but in reality you're just a few km's from the city.

For now though....my sacrifice is probably living in that overcrowded and overrated south east! Maybe in a few years I'd consider living out there - for now I still need to live a little!
See, I knew we were right

Actually, we'll probably take a trip over with the kids to choose a house, then run everything from here via this amazing new invention called T'Internet....dunno if anyone's heard of it yet, but it means you can keep in touch with everyone around the world

Seriously though, does anyone know of any members that might have done this?

Really looking forward to it
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:17 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

See, I knew we were right

Actually, we'll probably take a trip over with the kids to choose a house, then run everything from here via this amazing new invention called T'Internet....dunno if anyone's heard of it yet, but it means you can keep in touch with everyone around the world

Seriously though, does anyone know of any members that might have done this?

Really looking forward to it

I have lived in Eltham for 2.5 years. Feel free to PM me