Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We are here!!!!! Car buying?????

We are here!!!!! Car buying?????

Old Jul 11th 2004, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default We are here!!!!! Car buying?????

Greetings from Eagle Heights on Tamborine Mountain. Been here 4 days and already removed 4 very large spiders from our abode. First visitor was a kookaburra which came and ate out of our hands within minutes of walking into the surrounding garden/bush.

Priority now is buying a car and we think we've found what we want - either a new Mazda 2 (Genki - that's its unfortunate name) or a Mazda 3 Maxx Sport. List prices offered by garage are $22000 and $28000 drive-away. Question is - what sort of discount could we hope to get if we try bargaining? No trade-in, cash purchase. We're not looking for a huge saving but don't want to get taken for a ride ( ).

Also does anyone have any opinions on pay-as-you mobile phone services? We'll be using it for talking rather than texting or any fancy options, and not for international calls.

More news later when I can get a faster connection than this dial-up........
I'm having trouble just trying to read a few posts......

Lesley
Old Jul 11th 2004, 7:12 am
rudo1ph

Can't really help about the car, but I use pay as you go for my mobile. I'm on vodafone no plans. I already had a phone so just bought the sim card for $20 (maybe 30). I got $20 (maybe 25) credit though after my first bill. I pay no charges unless I make calls / text. I don't have to re-charge and I pay monthly by direct debit.

Hope that helps

Rudi

Old Jul 11th 2004, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I've just submitted a request to www.discountnewcars.com.au but don't know how long they will take to reply. We'd like to buy the thing tomorrow if we can as the rental car is a black hole for money.

Lesley
Old Jul 11th 2004, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by lesleys
I've just submitted a request to www.discountnewcars.com.au but don't know how long they will take to reply. We'd like to buy the thing tomorrow if we can as the rental car is a black hole for money.

Lesley
Hi Lesley
Glad to hera all is well.

We have been in contact with some car dealers in Southport and they have given us some really good prices.

See you soon

debs
Old Jul 11th 2004, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pay as You go Mobile Phones

In Australia, it's called "Pre-Pay", when you pay upfront and talk for a set period of time until your phone credit runs out.
I find Vodafone are the cheapest and good service.
Vodafone charge by the second. Optus and Telstra charge by the half - minute, so if you're talking for only 35 or 40 secs., you pay for the whole minute, except with Vodafone.
"flagfall" is the connection fee. Vodafone, Optus and Telstra pre pay all charge 20 cents flagfall.
Telstra charge 38.5c per 30 secs.
Optus charge 37c per 30 secs.
Vodafone charge 40c per MINUTE . . . 2/3rds cent per sec, or 20c for 30 secs . . . for a $30 recharge, valid for 2 months (60 days)
a $50 recharge with Vodafone is even cheaper . . . 30c per MINUTE . . .half cent per sec! . . . still valid 60 days.
Be sure that you have "coverage" where you live. Not all phone companies cover everywhere. Check with someone having a Telstra, Optus or Vodafone mobile if they have coverage outside your house and go with one giving coverage.
Hope this helps.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future
Default Re: We are here!!!!! Car buying?????

You could try Q-Fleet in Brisbane (Zillmere). It has ex govt cars, 1 or 2 years old, and auctions them off nearly every Friday. We got a bargain and like new condition. Priced the same in Southport for an extra 4 - 6K.

ps Genki is a Japanese word for good health or good spirits

Queenie

Greetings from Eagle Heights on Tamborine Mountain. Been here 4 days and already removed 4 very large spiders from our abode. First visitor was a kookaburra which came and ate out of our hands within minutes of walking into the surrounding garden/bush.

Priority now is buying a car and we think we've found what we want - either a new Mazda 2 (Genki - that's its unfortunate name) or a Mazda 3 Maxx Sport. List prices offered by garage are $22000 and $28000 drive-away. Question is - what sort of discount could we hope to get if we try bargaining? No trade-in, cash purchase. We're not looking for a huge saving but don't want to get taken for a ride ( ).

Also does anyone have any opinions on pay-as-you mobile phone services? We'll be using it for talking rather than texting or any fancy options, and not for international calls.

More news later when I can get a faster connection than this dial-up........
I'm having trouble just trying to read a few posts......

Lesley
Old Jul 11th 2004, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Pay as You go Mobile Phones

Originally posted by bob and ginnie

Vodafone charge by the second. Optus and Telstra charge by the half - minute, so if you're talking for only 35 or 40 secs., you pay for the whole minute, except with Vodafone.
"flagfall" is the connection fee. Vodafone, Optus and Telstra pre pay all charge 20 cents flagfall.
Telstra charge 38.5c per 30 secs.
Optus charge 37c per 30 secs.
Vodafone charge 40c per MINUTE . . . 2/3rds cent per sec, or 20c for 30 secs . . . for a $30 recharge, valid for 2 months (60 days)
a $50 recharge with Vodafone is even cheaper . . . 30c per MINUTE . . .half cent per sec! . . . still valid 60 days.

Thanks, that'll save me lots of frustrating hours on this slow connection. Do you know anything about Virgin Mobile as well?

Lesley
Old Jul 11th 2004, 6:13 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Lesley

..just don't take the discount price - we got more discount than was first offered from that site with a bit of haggling.

Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pay as You go Mobile Phones

A mate of mine tried Virgin a couple of years ago. He wasn't happy with them, mainly for the fact that he began paying as soon as he started to ring the number . . . NOT when they picked up their phone and began speaking! That could be 3 or 4 secs. each time, and he'd pay for the call, connection fee also, even if they didn't answer, to make things worse. Mind you, that was on a plan.
They may have lifted their game and changed for the better, but I wouldn't like to test that theory with my money.
Vodafone are the only ones giving free texts if you prefer them to good calling rates on their pre pays.