Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We have our visa........now what??

We have our visa........now what??

Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We have our visa........now what??

Can anyone help us as we are wondering what the next step is.

We had our "De Facto Spouse" visa granted on 20th of July and was told that along with the passports when they return, will be a letter explaining what we need to do to validate them.

I don't know if our position is slightly different to other people as I already have an Ozzie passport through birth as well as a British one and my partner and her 2 kids have British ones of their own.

We are off to Melbourne on 23rd October for a 3 week holiday and to do some investigating as we are planning to move out in January as soon as we sell house no.2. I was told by AHC when I renewed my Ozzie passport that I HAVE to enter Australia ON this passport and not my British one....why?

What do we have to do to validate the visa's whilst we are in Australia as we don't want to come back and find out we should have gone to a local office and 'present' ourselves.

OR, when we go through customs, do all the passports as well as the visa's get registered electronically and basicaly we dont have to do anything except enjoy ourselves.

Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We have our visa........now what??

The Aussies just like you to use an Aussie passport if you have one, to enter and leave, so they can register where their passport-holders are I guess.
The actual validation process is easy - just hand over your passport at immigration, and it gets registered in the computer - simple as that, no reporting to offices or anything. Just enjoy the trip!
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The Aussies just like you to use an Aussie passport if you have one, to enter and leave, so they can register where their passport-holders are I guess.
The actual validation process is easy - just hand over your passport at immigration, and it gets registered in the computer - simple as that, no reporting to offices or anything. Just enjoy the trip!

After all the hard effort to get the paperwork and evidence together it seems to easy, we expected a bit more running round. Now we know that we can spend all our time enjoying the holiday.

Thanks Pollyana
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:14 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Great news Sean, say hi to Angela for me.
Sarah
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anypan
After all the hard effort to get the paperwork and evidence together it seems to easy, we expected a bit more running round. Now we know that we can spend all our time enjoying the holiday.

Thanks Pollyana
Its a bit of an anti-climaxx coming through Immigration - you are soo excited, but they just take your passport and peer at it! I did get a 'Welcome to Australia" but a red carpet would've been nice!!!
Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:14 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anypan

Thanks Pollyana

Told ya it was easier than you thought....

They probably want you to use your Australian passport as its because of that passport Angela and the kids have their visa? Thats what I would have thought anyway...