British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   WE GO TOMMOROW HELP NEEDED URGENTLY (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/we-go-tommorow-help-needed-urgently-557349/)

stevelaird Aug 25th 2008 5:34 pm

WE GO TOMMOROW HELP NEEDED URGENTLY

Hi all well after a long long long wait and many ups and downs we are finally of the Oz tomorrow. WE are flying with emirates from glasgow to melbourne.
Can any one tell us what we do in dubai airport we have a 2 hour stop there. What i mean is once we land in dubai where do we go what do we do we have never been on a long haul flight before. We have been told that we follow the in transit signs but do we not need to check into our flight from dubai - melbourne.
Is any one else emigrating on this flight.

Cheers steve

Lenmil Aug 25th 2008 5:41 pm

Re: WE GO TOMMOROW HELP NEEDED URGENTLY

You will be fine in Dubai mate. Just walk around looking at all the goods you can buy. Then make your way to the departure lounge. It's a new airport and very nice even though they are still working extending it. Very busy airport mind you. Don't worry it's laid out very well.

Paula_lou Aug 25th 2008 5:45 pm

You wont need to check into any other airport once youve checked in at Glasgow. You'll get all yr boarding passes there so when you get to Dubai you can just go straight to the boarding lounge if you want to after a look round duty free of course ;)

Best of luck to you all as you start your new life!! I cant wait till Im posting this message ;)

Paula xx:wub:

stevelaird Aug 25th 2008 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Lenmil (Post 6713561)
You will be fine in Dubai mate. Just walk around looking at all the goods you can buy. Then make your way to the departure lounge. It's a new airport and very nice even though they are still working extending it. Very busy airport mind you. Don't worry it's laid out very well.

cheers lenmil

But do you know anything about what we do after our plane lands where do we go is there any one to us what to do getting very scared now.

steve

stevelaird Aug 25th 2008 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Paula_lou (Post 6713572)
You wont need to check into any other airport once youve checked in at Glasgow. You'll get all yr boarding passes there so when you get to Dubai you can just go straight to the boarding lounge if you want to after a look round duty free of course ;)

Best of luck to you all as you start your new life!! I cant wait till Im posting this message ;)

Paula xx:wub:

Thanks Paula that has put our minds at rest a bit only next problem is how many taxis to the airport for 10 cases lol

steve

coops432 Aug 25th 2008 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by stevelaird (Post 6713546)
Hi all well after a long long long wait and many ups and downs we are finally of the Oz tomorrow. WE are flying with emirates from glasgow to melbourne.
Can any one tell us what we do in dubai airport we have a 2 hour stop there. What i mean is once we land in dubai where do we go what do we do we have never been on a long haul flight before. We have been told that we follow the in transit signs but do we not need to check into our flight from dubai - melbourne.

Cheers steve

Dont forget to declare all items i dont want to see you on Nothing to Declare this week :)

As they said before its very easy going through transit and its well signposted.

Good luck with your new life, hopefully another jock will be there soon.

Paul n Lisa

Paula_lou Aug 25th 2008 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by stevelaird (Post 6713579)
Thanks Paula that has put our minds at rest a bit only next problem is how many taxis to the airport for 10 cases lol

steve

Oh jesus! 10 suitcases???!! lol suppose its not a lot considering youre moving yr whole life out there ;)

Must be so nerve wracking...Im looking forward to it but dreading it too..we dont go till this time next year tho so have long enough to dwell on it :rofl:

Take care and good luck!!

Paula xx

denkar101 Aug 25th 2008 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by stevelaird (Post 6713546)

Cheers steve

Hi Steve,
Went through there last year with another airline, had 2 hours too. Plane lands, everyone off, get a transit 'sticker' slapped on your upper body, and guided from 'arrivals' to 'departure' by some very officious fitness fanatic, lol. Had heaps of time but you wouldn't think so. If Emirates was the same as ours, no grog served onboard but you can take your own and they supply the mixers. Had plenty of time to do some duty free shopping, if only we had known.
We ended up back on the same plane so that is why your luggage is not a problem.
I think you may have another short stopover at Singapore before the last leg into Melbourne.
Bon voyage and enjoy.
Dennis

Kim67 Aug 25th 2008 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by stevelaird (Post 6713573)
cheers lenmil

But do you know anything about what we do after our plane lands where do we go is there any one to us what to do getting very scared now.

steve

Hi Steve - we arrived in Dubai from Australia a couple of days ago. The flight we were on was then going on to London. Airport staff were waiting at the gate and told those of us staying in Dubai to go out one door and the passengers traveling on to London were taken out another door to their correct waiting area by staff. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine.

daddyofthree Aug 25th 2008 6:00 pm

Go on the piss mate - apparently the bars are great!!! :thumbsup:

stevelaird Aug 25th 2008 6:03 pm

Thanks to all who have posted replies your help will be of great assistance to us making our way to Oz for our new life. Keep a eye on the update page i will post in a few weeks to let you all know how we get on. thanks again

cheers steve

alipally Aug 25th 2008 6:08 pm

Don't worry Emirates supply plenty of alcohol, so there' no problems there.

2 hours is just the right amount of time to shop well in the airport! Everything is sooo cheap!
We bought electricals (PSP, DS and accessories) and then I bought a beautiful watch at less than half the price I would have paid in the UK...

There's no such thing as 'cheap' gold but tax free does make it a little more attractive!

Have a fab trip!