Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

we failed our driving tests today

Wikiposts

we failed our driving tests today

Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:22 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Default Re: we failed our driving tests today

Originally posted by mashiraz
Any other advice
:scared:
be respectful to the examiner. Don't be afraid to let the examiner know you're nervous, and say something like "I can't believe I'm taking a test again after driving for X years", but not in an arogant tone.

Good luck.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshpom
be respectful to the examiner. Don't be afraid to let the examiner know you're nervous, and say something like "I can't believe I'm taking a test again after driving for X years", but not in an arogant tone.

Good luck.
Yes, that would probably help. I'm amazed I passed mine after stuffing up my parallel parking, I wasn't even wearing a skirt
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:32 pm
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to raise the stakes a bit...
This from a friend of mine who's a driving instructor out here.

"Technically if you sit a driving test and fail you automatically lose your visiting driver priveleges from that moment. So if you've driven to the test station, you can't drive back unless another qualified driver is with you and you are displaying "L" plates."

Originally posted by Nara
Yes, that would probably help. I'm amazed I passed mine after stuffing up my parallel parking, I wasn't even wearing a skirt
Old Nov 5th 2003, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

No wonder SA came out so badly in those surveys on living standards. wasn't one of the criteria car ownership?

all that AND Adelaide being the murder capital of Australia. Glad I'm a long way distant.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 2:39 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by Nara
I wasn't wearing a skirt either. I messed up the parallel parking first attempt but was allowed a second go. I pulled away without waiting 5 secs and not checking my blind spot too.

I got cut a lot of slack because I'm such a lovely person

Tip: on the U turn, find a junction on the right side of the road and use it to "widen" your road. Perfectly acceptable in an exam. And remember, if you stop to allow traffic to pass before the U-turn, indicate and wait 5 seconds and check the blind spot :-)

NoodleSYD: "Technically if you sit a driving test and fail you automatically lose your visiting driver priveleges from that moment. So if you've driven to the test station, you can't drive back unless another qualified driver is with you and you are displaying "L" plates."
I drove to the test alone and was going to drive home if I failed.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by RichS
No wonder SA came out so badly in those surveys on living standards. wasn't one of the criteria car ownership?

all that AND Adelaide being the murder capital of Australia. Glad I'm a long way distant.
It's funny that one (car ownership) it could just be a sign of environmentally, health conscious public transport users, or walkers. We've got one car, but I'm lucky enough to be able to walk into work.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:36 pm
Tyke and now an Aussie

Oh, so was I.
It just wouldn't have been legal.
But I reckon that compared to all the other naughty things that go on in Maroubra my driving home if I'd failed a driving test would be pretty low down the scale.

Fortunately I passed.

Originally posted by welshpom

I drove to the test alone and was going to drive home if I failed.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to bring this back to the top, but thought I'd let you know we both passed today. Hubby got 87%, I got 90%. Pass mark 85%. Really finnicky about it....

Anyway it officially makes me the better driver so I'm happy!.

Bad luck Ruffy, I guess you have cause to complain.
Cheers
Mash...
Originally posted by Ruffy
In South Australia you can drive on your UK licence for three months before you need to get an Australian licence. Today my wife and I went for the practical part of the test and both failed !!!
Me for driving too slow 50kph in a 60 zone. My wife for failing to indicate when doing a three point turn in a deserted road. One of our neighbours told us afterwards that they fail everyone first time so we are now going to become official whinging poms and complain to the Driver Standards Group. Apparently we dont drive Australian,which seems to mean pulling away from trafic lights etc as fast as possible,driving at the highest speed permitted on a road regardless of everything else,
Old Nov 8th 2003, 1:07 am
Badge

yeah get the license automatically in NSW, pay 20 bucks for the license, after multiple choice test, go to SA and exchange - say another 30 bucks.

Worth it for the lack of hassle.

Badge

Old Nov 8th 2003, 1:17 am
Just Joined

Billabong207 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy speeding fine!!!

Hi
We were in QLD at christmas and once home we got a speeding fine through the post a 90 dollar fine, a nice picture of the car came through as well. Such a row developed over who was responsible, me or the hubby. I know it was the hubby, he swears that it was me. But being a man I know that he is wrong!
If they keep this on file never mind failing the first time we will never pass.
J
Old Nov 8th 2003, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by badgersmount
yeah get the license automatically in NSW, pay 20 bucks for the license, after multiple choice test, go to SA and exchange - say another 30 bucks.

Worth it for the lack of hassle.

Badge

Thats what i want to do Badge...but i still havent found out if you can legally do it that way. We will be spending our first 4 days in Sydney and we leave on Tuesday. If i was sure i could do it htat way i would much rather get it there.
Old Nov 8th 2003, 6:13 pm
Tyke and now an Aussie

To get a NSW licence you need to prove your residency in NSW with a bank statement / utility bill / govt letter.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...swaddress.html
And prove who you are:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...of_list12.html

If you can't make the address requirement you can use a guarantor - basically an existing NSW licence holder who makes a stat dec that you live where you're claiming to.

I really don't think what you're planning is a good idea.

Originally posted by podgypossum
Thats what i want to do Badge...but i still havent found out if you can legally do it that way. We will be spending our first 4 days in Sydney and we leave on Tuesday. If i was sure i could do it htat way i would much rather get it there.