Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

we failed our driving tests today

we failed our driving tests today

Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Ruffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default we failed our driving tests today

In South Australia you can drive on your UK licence for three months before you need to get an Australian licence. Today my wife and I went for the practical part of the test and both failed !!!
Me for driving too slow 50kph in a 60 zone. My wife for failing to indicate when doing a three point turn in a deserted road. One of our neighbours told us afterwards that they fail everyone first time so we are now going to become official whinging poms and complain to the Driver Standards Group. Apparently we dont drive Australian,which seems to mean pulling away from trafic lights etc as fast as possible,driving at the highest speed permitted on a road regardless of everything else,
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:25 am
WBB

i did not know you had to do a practical test if you hold a full UK license?

or is that just sa ?

Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

I'm sorry that you failed your tests. It doesn't sound as though you did anything unsafe.....so I think it is stupid that you were failed.

When I moved to Queensland all I had to do was pass a simple multiple choice question sheet - no practical. I wonder if I would have passed a practical.

However - I feel as though I could use some extra lessons. I was wondering if anybody new if there is any kind of advanced test that you can do in Queensland/Aus.

Jay
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:28 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: we failed our driving tests today

Originally posted by Ruffy
In South Australia you can drive on your UK licence for three months before you need to get an Australian licence. Today my wife and I went for the practical part of the test and both failed !!!
Me for driving too slow 50kph in a 60 zone. My wife for failing to indicate when doing a three point turn in a deserted road. One of our neighbours told us afterwards that they fail everyone first time so we are now going to become official whinging poms and complain to the Driver Standards Group. Apparently we dont drive Australian,which seems to mean pulling away from trafic lights etc as fast as possible,driving at the highest speed permitted on a road regardless of everything else,
Sorry to hear about your news, we only had to take the theory test (WA) which we did today and passed. Although when we were practising the rules at times seemed different to what we expected.

I do want to thank Renth for his post on taking the test, which we used as a checklist for what paperwork we needed to take with us. We used the East perth Office which was quick, efficient, and the experience cost $290.

I do need to add that I only got 27/30 where as my intelligent hubby got 29/30. If I didn't put this he would be posting it later on.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Ruffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Things differ from state to state. We came over on permanemt residents visas and in SA needed to do both a theory (we passed) and then the practical test within three months of arrival.
Once you pass the theory you are given a permit and have a month to pass the practical test. If you dont pass within the month you have to display L plates and have a qualifed driver with you until you pass.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

hmmm... not looking forward to this!!...we arrive in Adelaide next weekend.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get your licence in a different state so that you dont need to to a practical test in SA?
Old Nov 5th 2003, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
hmmm... not looking forward to this!!...we arrive in Adelaide next weekend.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get your licence in a different state so that you dont need to to a practical test in SA?

Hi PP
You would ultimately need to get a licence for the state you live in. So altho you could just sit a written test in Vic and get a Vic licence, once you reside in SA you need to do the SA licence. (And that means paying more money...!)

You may find your car insurance premium is lower if you have the local licence so it's a good idea to get your licence asap when you get there.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

...oh, I see what you may mean now: Once you have an Oz licence from any state, and you move to SA, does the same rule apply to exisiting Oz licence holders that does to Johnny Foreigner? - i.e. do Oz licence holders have to do a practical test or can they just do a written.

Er, I don't know!!!

Sorry for rambling!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:47 pm
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

Ruffy, I think you've been very unlucky.
When the rules changed in 2002 to "recognise" overseas licences they were supposed to change for all states. (see below) I can only surmise that SA haven't chosen to adopt the new exemptions yet. This from the NSW rta site:

"Recognition of licences from certain countries

The recognition of licences from certain countries has been agreed nationally and commenced in NSW on and from 20 May 2002. Customers that have not failed a driving or riding test, as at 20 May 2002, will be exempted from the test if they hold an acceptable licence from one of the recognised countries. The exemption only applies to applicants for Class C (car)_licences.

The RTA reserves the right to require customers to undertake a driving_test, and may not issue a licence until it is satisfied that the overseas licence is valid._

Recognised countries
Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark_________
Finland, France,_ Germany, Greece
Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg
Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain__
Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA

The licensing authority in Victoria (VicRoads) is responsible for maintaining the national list of recognised countries."

As far as HiddenPaw's question about Johnny Foreigner vs. locals moving interstate goes:
A driving licence from any Australian state is interchangeable to the licence of any other state. You'll have to pay (of course) to re-licence but you won't have to sit any other tests.
If you move states you've got 3 months to re-licence.

Foreigners coming in (to NSW) from an approved country only have to sit the multiple choice test on the computer and not the driving test since 2002 to get their licence. If you come in from anywhere else (or came before 2002, like me) you had to sit a computer theory test then a practical driving test - but you then got a full licence straight away (not p plates like first time drivers do).

If anyone reads this and worries about the theory test, don't it is very easy. Thery even publish the whole question bank on the web (NSW)
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...questions.html

Lastly, if you're thinking of sitting your test in another state to avoid SA's practical test component, don't bother. The proof-of-residence requirements are onerous and not easy to circumvent and you'll be wasting money.

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
...oh, I see what you may mean now: Once you have an Oz licence from any state, and you move to SA, does the same rule apply to exisiting Oz licence holders that does to Johnny Foreigner? - i.e. do Oz licence holders have to do a practical test or can they just do a written.

Er, I don't know!!!

Sorry for rambling!

Last edited by NoodleSYD; Nov 5th 2003 at 9:52 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

i guess i'll just have to sit the practical test then...

i owned a taxi company in London for 14yrs so i have had plenty of driving experience, but if they fail everyone first time anyway, i suppose it will make no difference!!!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:00 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Things differ from state to state. We came over on permanemt residents visas and in SA needed to do both a theory (we passed) and then the practical test within three months of arrival.
Once you pass the theory you are given a permit and have a month to pass the practical test. If you dont pass within the month you have to display L plates and have a qualifed driver with you until you pass.
Have you held your FULL UK licences for less than three years? If so, that may have something to do with it. I can't think of any other reason why SA out of all the states would be awkward.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, so now I'm scared....

We have the practicals booked for this Saturday, not bothered having a lesson as we thought we'd have no problem. I've got the yellow learners book to check the 5 main manovures but can't believe you failed on that!!
We did theory with no problems once we'd cracked the give way to the right rule!!

We're having them in Modbury, where did you do yours?

Any other advice
:scared:

Mash...

Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:06 pm
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a lesson in before Saturday...!
L plates... not a good look are they?

I couldn't believe SA would be so awkward either, but i checked on the transport SA website. There it is in black and white, no exemption.

Originally posted by mashiraz

We have the practicals booked for this Saturday, not bothered having a lesson as we thought we'd have no problem. I've got the yellow learners book to check the 5 main manovures but can't believe you failed on that!!
We did theory with no problems once we'd cracked the give way to the right rule!!

Any other advice

Mash...

Last edited by NoodleSYD; Nov 5th 2003 at 11:08 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mashiraz

Any other advice

Mash...
Don't worry too much. I passed my practical in SA first time. I wrote off my car in England 4 years earlier, I hadn't driven since then until I passed my theory and then had 2 refresher lessons.

I recommend the refresher lessons, and I'm not meant to tell you this, but my instructor took me on the exact route that the inspector took. He showed me where I would do my u-turn, 3-point turn etc. So now I will only tell you where I did the test if you PM me
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:04 am
Homesick....

Aqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant future

It must be an S.A thing, when i came here with my mum in 1992, we live in VIC all she did was drive around the block and that was it, new Aussie licence(and i mean she literally drove around the block). She'd had her UK licence for 20 or so years prior so i guess that counts for something aswell, and when i went for my licence i failed my learners the first time and then i passed my driving test first time. Seems that your instructor or the S.A Laws are very old fashioned or strict.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.