Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We don't like it in Sydney.

Wikiposts

We don't like it in Sydney.

Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:21 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all
Default Re: We don't like it in Sydney.

Originally Posted by Auspom
This is to the people who think Australia has no culture......
"WHAT IS CULTURE"
When i say this it's not meant to be harsh but the English are selfish and a little pompous when it comes to thing's like Culture and History.
there is a hell of alot of culture in Aus than in England but on the other hand English culture is different than Australian.
Wat u also have to remember is that Australia is only two hundred years old so the history is completely different so if you wanted culture like in England you should have moved to Europe.You can't come to a country without studying the history and there way of life b 4 you start branding them of having "No Culture".
I'm Australian married to a English lady living in england and there is a hell of alot of things that i like here that we dont have in Aus like Castles,history that dates back over a thousand year's,been able to go to Paris or Spain without taking a 24hr flight be forehand or America in 8hrs,going to a museum and looking at all that history and artifacts just to name a few.
I could quite easily say that the English are Thugs,Lazy,Selfish,Rood,and just a punch of Toss pots,But i want cause that's your way of life.......

So before you Brand a country without "CULTURE" please look back at your country and see some of the stuff u have that we will never.
from Born and Breed Aussie,hope the spelling is ok ha ha
I think you make a very good point.The UK has History(whos history?) that Australia doesnt.
In terms of living, evolving culture, the UK might be a little stale.
I personally think Australians are very cultured.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:22 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by arkon
Now that’s got to be a wind up, you ask what is culture then go on to list all the things that make it up. No ones saying a 200 year old country doesn't have culture and history but it doesn't have nowhere near the amount the UK has and that’s what I miss. Here everywhere is the same and the differences are only superficial and minor, even the beaches all start to look the same. I think the British coast line is far more interesting than this one. The shops are all the same, the houses and architecture are all the same....God its depressing, its like being married to a stepford wife....
Look I could have told you Oz is boring as Batshit before you went (thats why I am in the UK)
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:30 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Breezey
Look I could have told you Oz is boring as Batshit before you went (thats why I am in the UK)
I wish you'd told him too...

Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:30 pm
Auspom

Auspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by arkon
Now that’s got to be a wind up, you ask what is culture then go on to list all the things that make it up. No ones saying a 200 year old country doesn't have culture and history but it doesn't have nowhere near the amount the UK has and that’s what I miss. Here everywhere is the same and the differences are only superficial and minor, even the beaches all start to look the same. I think the British coast line is far more interesting than this one. The shops are all the same, the houses and architecture are all the same....God its depressing, its like being married to a stepford wife....
May i ask the Question"Why did u move to Australia".
Thing's that look the same like miles of house's stuck together with the same brickwork all two or three levels,no back or front gardens,how many council towers look the same,beaches with rocks,cloudly weather little sun.building's so old they all look the same,Oops sorry that's your "CULUTRE". on the coast line Yes u have some interesting coast lines, saying that have u visited The Great Ocean road or seen the coast of perth?????????.To me all the shops look the same on the outside it's just that u have more variety in shops and brands here which u dont get back in Aus.As u said there are things you miss bout englang well there are things i miss bout Aus aswell, but that's what u give up when u move to a different country.
If it's all DEPRESSING as u say can i ask "Why dont u move Back" (not being nasty just asking)
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:34 pm
Auspom

Auspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant future

The give away is when words are misspelled reflecting the way a Chav would pronounce them.
For instance 'povity'(poverty). I think that poster was complaining about culutre.
Its all very well being polite but sometimes you have to be honest. People go off to 'arse-end' parts of Oz, that most Australians would never live in and complain that the local yobbos arent cultured.
In truth they are giving themselves away as Chavs-for not understanding the different segements of society and not even being able to percieve that different Australians exist in the bigger cities.
Half of Australia lives in Syd or Melbourne, and there is plenty of culutre in both these places.
Well said Breezey,Nice one old Son
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:35 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

If it's all DEPRESSING as u say can i ask "Why dont u move Back" (not being nasty just asking)
Don't go there. And don't be so polite to him either... he doesn't deserve it. :scared:
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:41 pm
Auspom

Originally Posted by Hutch
Don't go there. And don't be so polite to him either... he doesn't deserve it. :scared:
I get asked the question almost every day "why move to englang",
First thing is because my Wife is english and she wanted me to see her way of life and meet her friends.
2.the english pound almost double's when we return to aus
3.Knowing that i can return to where i was born at anytime
4.Experince a different way of life.

these r some of the reason's, But i can tell u it's not for the weather bloodly hell it's cold this winter.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:51 pm
Banned

First thing is because my Wife is english and she wanted me to see her way of life and meet her friends.

these r some of the reason's, But i can tell u it's not for the weather bloodly hell it's cold this winter.
You are making some very good points. Both countries are damn good, but different.
I prefer the shopping in Oz, and think it is far more vibrant(its all the same franchises here).
The pre-fab food at M&S makes me feel ill.
Australia is isolated and can be a little dull and suburban.
The UK is near Europe(big plus) and its historical sites are fascinating and the countryside gorgeous.
I must say however if Oz was where the UK is, I know where I would be.
Taken In Isolation I have to say, I think, Oz is better.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

As for Anti-English sentiment-you are getting the wrong impression-Aussies don't really like any migrants,British Isles people they probably dislike the least.
If they didn't like migrants, that would leave even the locals with few friends!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Banksia
If they didn't like migrants, that would leave even the locals with few friends!
I sould have written, SOME Aussies.
I might say that all that said, Australia sure gives migrants a fair shot.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:56 pm
Australia's Doorman

Wasn't referring to you m8 - but to Arkon ...
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

We are in Adelaide and have not really settled, Only been here 8 months, Miss family, friends, familiarity and we left our dog behind with my family, It broke my heart.
When you feel unsettled then things appear more negative, you lose interest in your surroundings, no interest in seeing the good things.
We decided not to rush back home but to slow down and rethink our plans every couple of months so we got on with things, made the effort to invite people over and we now have lots of friends.
Our kids are happy at school, we both have jobs, I really love mine, Its just that we cannot see ourselfs settling in Adelaide long term so we are having a recci at another state.
I would not go home without trying somewhere else first, its a long way to go back to and wondering if you would of settled elsewhere.
The reasons we came to Oz are still there, its not always greener on the other side but where is?

Di
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by james the cat
We have just decided that we are going to go back to the UK.
How much of Sydney - Gosford - Katoomba - Wollongong and everything in between have you actually experienced? There is more than two months' worth there.

Why not check it out while considering your next move given you have left so much behind and can see so little prospect here?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:08 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Your the one thats well rude and needs to learn some manners, I know I'm going to regret it but can you tell me and everyone else exactly why you follow me from thread to thread and only post rude and abraisive coments about me personally and rarely coment on the substance of one of my posts?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

What about trying Perth?

Originally Posted by harveyhare
We are in Adelaide and have not really settled, Only been here 8 months, Miss family, friends, familiarity and we left our dog behind with my family, It broke my heart.
When you feel unsettled then things appear more negative, you lose interest in your surroundings, no interest in seeing the good things.
We decided not to rush back home but to slow down and rethink our plans every couple of months so we got on with things, made the effort to invite people over and we now have lots of friends.
Our kids are happy at school, we both have jobs, I really love mine, Its just that we cannot see ourselfs settling in Adelaide long term so we are having a recci at another state.
I would not go home without trying somewhere else first, its a long way to go back to and wondering if you would of settled elsewhere.
The reasons we came to Oz are still there, its not always greener on the other side but where is?

Di

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.