Lol!!! Yes,but only to him

Donna.
Oh OK. Won't ask any more -it's probably rude
Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:59 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We don't like it in Sydney.

Originally Posted by Lerop Pekill
dyslexia rools KO
LOL I've just googled your username, thought it may be some manic dictator and it brought some of your threads up
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:35 pm
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
LOL I've just googled your username, thought it may be some manic dictator and it brought some of your threads up
So u think i'm a weirdo then?
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:36 pm
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzy
Oh OK. Won't ask any more -it's probably rude
it's not rude i dont think.

I have rethinked.

Is rethinked a word?

**** it, it's not rude.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:38 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

So u think i'm a weirdo then?
NO COMMENT
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:46 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

I don't think even 6 months is enough time to adjust to a new place. Please give it a little more time and like a lot of people have already said, why don't you try somewhere else in Oz? I liked Sydney, but not to live. If you were to fly your dog over, it might make things feel a little more familiar. Just a thought.

Best of luck whatever you decided to do.

Claire
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Is rethinked a word?
It's grammatically incorrect

But a bloody good word anyway
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

kittyorkat is an unknown quantity at this point

I wrote a note under the thread "Australia... the decision" or something like that...

I moved to the UK 8 years ago and the first 3 months were terrible. I doubt I would have stayed if I wasn't so committed to following my career (I had a 12 month contract). The culture shock was harsh - I'd visited the UK and thought it was pretty similar but it's only when you try to live somehwere that you realise that the two cultures are miles apart! But by the time I went home for Christmas at the 6 month mark, I was loving it and looking forward to going back at the end of my 10 day visit! It's amazing how different a place is once you make a few good friends.

I am going home now, but only after a fantastic experience.

However, I was on my own at the time. If I had children, I may have felt differently as I would want minimum impact on them. Possibly a dog would be the same. Good luck with your decision!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:57 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

Originally Posted by james the cat
We have just decided that we are going to go back to the UK. We came out here 2 months ago after spending 2 years getting our permanent residency visa. We both quit good jobs and sold our house to come here, so aren't taking this decision lightly. We have found that despite feeling very positive about coming here, since arriving we have felt very unsettled and just felt generally depressed and like we've made a big mistake. Whilst the scenery and wildlife is amazing (we even hand fed parrakeets on our balcony this afternoon), we just don't feel right here and we are trying to put a round peg in a square hole. We have found a nice flat with views over the harbour, have a nice car, and I have a job to go to next week (which doesn't excite me at all, but it is all I can get).
There is no main reason for us wanting to go - lots of smaller reasons, we miss family and friends and don't know anybody here, we've cancelled flying the dog out, - so miss him too, we've found a lot anti-english sentiment (I was told that I didn't get a job due to my not fitting in culturally), my partner was sat in the back of a class and witnessed a mature student talking with the tutor about how the English 'come over here', and other students were making comments about 'send them all home', without realising there was an english student in the class (there are lots of other examples too - but it doesn't make you feel very welcome.)
We know logically, we should probably give it more of a try and maybe wait until we start work, but we have been constantly down since we've been here, and feel that we have realised that England is a better country for us.
Has anyone else had similar feelings and gone back or felt like going back this soon?

I'm sorry but, honestly...I just want to SLAP you..please, please tell me you actually went to the country before deciding to move there.

Why did you go through 2 years of trying to get a visa just to say sod it after 2 months without even giving it a try? 2 months is nothing. Sydney is not for everyone, but there is a bloody big country out there to have a look at.

You are BOUND to be missing family, you have just moved half way around the world for goodness sake. You will never get over missing the family but when you make a close circle of friends they will become like family to you.

Oh my God..I wish people would stop thinking that the Aussies hate the english, they dont, its called friendly banter. Give it back..they love it!

I cant cope anymore....give me your visa!!!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 6:23 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Carkedit
I'm sorry but, honestly...I just want to SLAP you..please, please tell me you actually went to the country before deciding to move there.

Why did you go through 2 years of trying to get a visa just to say sod it after 2 months without even giving it a try? 2 months is nothing. Sydney is not for everyone, but there is a bloody big country out there to have a look at.

You are BOUND to be missing family, you have just moved half way around the world for goodness sake. You will never get over missing the family but when you make a close circle of friends they will become like family to you.

Oh my God..I wish people would stop thinking that the Aussies hate the english, they dont, its called friendly banter. Give it back..they love it!

I cant cope anymore....give me your visa!!!
Not an easy decision packing up and moving to OZ, but by far a greater decision to return to the UK.

Just because you 'think' you 'will' love it doesn't mean everyone has to. I'm sure they have thought long and hard about coming back.

I certainly wouldn't want to 'SLAP' someone for not wanting to stay in OZ...? it's their choice.
No matter how long it takes to get a visa, how much money they spend, or how long they take to decide a place isn't for them it's their decision.

It's like going into a lions den though posting that kind of thing on this part of the website....bound to get shot down by all the people waiting to go and wanting to love the place before even getting there.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 10:48 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

As everyone says - a couple of months isn't enough to get over jetlag and calm down, let alone make such a decision!

We spent 6 months in the Sydney area before realising it is one of the last places we'd want to live in. Even now, when we go there for the day there's a palpable sense of relief when we drive South past Campbelltown and get away from the place.

That's not to say that some don't like it, though.

I would up and move somewhere else more to your liking before committing to returning.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Originally Posted by james the cat
We have just decided that we are going to go back to the UK. We came out here 2 months ago after spending 2 years getting our permanent residency visa. We both quit good jobs and sold our house to come here, so aren't taking this decision lightly. We have found that despite feeling very positive about coming here, since arriving we have felt very unsettled and just felt generally depressed and like we've made a big mistake. Whilst the scenery and wildlife is amazing (we even hand fed parrakeets on our balcony this afternoon), we just don't feel right here and we are trying to put a round peg in a square hole. We have found a nice flat with views over the harbour, have a nice car, and I have a job to go to next week (which doesn't excite me at all, but it is all I can get).
There is no main reason for us wanting to go - lots of smaller reasons, we miss family and friends and don't know anybody here, we've cancelled flying the dog out, - so miss him too, we've found a lot anti-english sentiment (I was told that I didn't get a job due to my not fitting in culturally), my partner was sat in the back of a class and witnessed a mature student talking with the tutor about how the English 'come over here', and other students were making comments about 'send them all home', without realising there was an english student in the class (there are lots of other examples too - but it doesn't make you feel very welcome.)
We know logically, we should probably give it more of a try and maybe wait until we start work, but we have been constantly down since we've been here, and feel that we have realised that England is a better country for us.
Has anyone else had similar feelings and gone back or felt like going back this soon?
I have to say that we felt the way you do for alot more than 2 months when we came out here 2 years ago. You have moved 12000 miles away from home, away from all your friends and family and everything you know and hold dear. You aren't just going to fit right in - you have both made an enormous change on alot of levels and you both need to re-adjust to those changes.

Aussies will always make comments about us Poms - it is just friendly banter - we are in their country after all - it is a different culture. Alot of the Aussies I know are jealous that we were able to come over here and they can't do the same the other way around.

I would urge you to start your job - get out and about - see the sites and go away for some weekends. At least if you end up going back in a few months time you'll have seen some places. Once I started work and made some more friends I felt mile better. We are not sure if we are staying here as we are still homesick but have stayed long enough to appreciate how great this place is. Try and give it a bit longer - you might change your mind.

Good luck in whatever you both decide - everyone is different - I am sorry you are both feeling down. Shame you're not in Brissy.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Hi Guys
I just wanted to wish you well in whatever decision you make...sorry to hear its been tough for you...we were lucky MrM had a good job to go to when we first moved to Oz...so at least things started well for one of us..unfortunately I gave up a good job left a huge circle of friends and close family and for the first few months (and odd down spells thereafter) I really didn't know if I was coming or going, it was a bit like a kind of breavement, I spent a lot of time wondering if I had done the right thing. Life certainly wasn't helped by the fact that I had to take crappy casual work. The move over had been so stressful that to be honest, I couldn't have faced going back after a couple of months...and we had always agreed try and last 18 momths (although secretly at this stage I was just determined to last the Summer, 18 months sounded soo long), so our stay has stretched out.... but I could imagine that if we'd both had a tough start we might have considered flying home too...
I have to say things for me changed dramatically when I found work...and I would really encourage you to try working in Aus for a little while before you
make your decision. Even if not an ideal position it'll give you a flavour for life in Aus, (I was amazed that one of the crappy jobs I took - which seemed so dead end at the time- was described by a later employer as 'inspired'...in reality if any other bugger would have employed me I would have been doing someting else!!) .
We have now been here for nearly 2 years, I can NOT believe how the time has flown...when in the early months even a day could feel like forever. I now know I did not make the wrong decision coming here...still not sure if this move is 'forever' for us...but I don't have any regrets about the time I've spent here.
Sorry, I've gone on too much...point i was trying to make was please don't make a rush decision when you are feeling down...but once you have made your decision, whatever it might be, throw yourself into it and don't have any regrets...there are many people who wouldn't have had the balls to try such a drastic life change, at least you gave it a go!!!!
All the best mmx
Old Nov 26th 2005, 5:21 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by soapy
theres a sydney meet next month, why not hang out till then and see if u can meet a few people who might make life a bit easier for u
Oh and i meant to add.....well done everyone for the great advice u have passed on to this poster. its great to see no nutters have had a dig..........its the last thing they need.
big pat on the back to u all.ah stuff it, lets have a group hug
Group Hug and send you my best happy vibes as I know you must be feeling awful. All will work out as meant to be; go to the meet and see what other adventures await you. Mumo.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

2 months really is not even long enough to decide if you like a whole new country.
in our first 6 months, I was desperate to go back to UK, and missed everything like mad- even the dirty streets and rude people on the tube!
5 years I realise that this is home- not sure when it happened but it must have crept up on me. I still miss family and friends but they all have their lives and they have also moved on.

I lived in London for about 15 years and was very happy- but I don't like Sydney as a place to live...too like London without the conveniences of London!!! Melbourne on the other hand is fab!

And as to the perceived racism, I think we Brits in Uk are equally as thoughtless without meaning to be. My differently coloured friends in UK hear comments about : '.... coming over here and taking all our jobs' loads of times- yet they are UK born and bred. So I think the Aussies are doing what lots of Brits do thoughtlessly. That doesn't make it less hurtful, just less personal! And I have found that lots of my Aussie colleagues think it is a sport to bag a Pom...I just find mentioning the Rugby World Cup and Ashes is the perfect retort.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but don't do anything too hastily!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.