Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We don't like it in Sydney.

Wikiposts

We don't like it in Sydney.

Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:04 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: We don't like it in Sydney.

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
No no.. Lerope just cant spell his name right

Typical woman, you just canny win. I give up.

Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by james the cat
We have just decided that we are going to go back to the UK. We came out here 2 months ago after spending 2 years getting our permanent residency visa. We both quit good jobs and sold our house to come here, so aren't taking this decision lightly. We have found that despite feeling very positive about coming here, since arriving we have felt very unsettled and just felt generally depressed and like we've made a big mistake. Whilst the scenery and wildlife is amazing (we even hand fed parrakeets on our balcony this afternoon), we just don't feel right here and we are trying to put a round peg in a square hole. We have found a nice flat with views over the harbour, have a nice car, and I have a job to go to next week (which doesn't excite me at all, but it is all I can get).
There is no main reason for us wanting to go - lots of smaller reasons, we miss family and friends and don't know anybody here, we've cancelled flying the dog out, - so miss him too, we've found a lot anti-english sentiment (I was told that I didn't get a job due to my not fitting in culturally), my partner was sat in the back of a class and witnessed a mature student talking with the tutor about how the English 'come over here', and other students were making comments about 'send them all home', without realising there was an english student in the class (there are lots of other examples too - but it doesn't make you feel very welcome.)
We know logically, we should probably give it more of a try and maybe wait until we start work, but we have been constantly down since we've been here, and feel that we have realised that England is a better country for us.
Has anyone else had similar feelings and gone back or felt like going back this soon?

I can understand you feeling down about a place - it took us a few months to settle when we first arrived. But please dont say that the Ausies dislike British people. That is utter rubbish - I think the reverse is true!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:07 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasonK944
I can understand you feeling down about a place - it took us a few months to settle when we first arrived. But please dont say that the Ausies dislike British people. That is utter rubbish - I think the reverse is true!
i think the poster just feels it a bit more cos they feel a bit alone. times a great healer
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point

have a look on the moving back to the UK forum i have just put a thread on moving to oz then UK then oz again!!!
Don't make my mistake its costly and stressful.
Review why you went and give it lots of time. Sydney for me was not a place I could live. We all like different things, the sunshine coast in Queensland was lovely, friendly and layed back, and warm and sunny and a long way from where I am
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

You must take the most expensive holidays going!!!!!!!!!

2 months at a cost of what???!!! and two years in the planning.

were u really committed to the whole thing or do u just have money to burn.

Think very carefully about your next move

Only ONE bottle of wine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:39 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice, since you still don't like it do you wish you had gone back a year ago?
One major concern we have is that since we changed our minds about bringing the dog out 3 days before they were due to take him to the airport, we have sort of dumped him on my parents, and can't leave him there for too long (especially since he keeps steeling boxes of chocolates, etc), and we don't want to put him through the quarantine only to send him back.
Hope it improves for you too.
One thing you might be unaware of. If you do decide to bring him out to Oz, and then decide to go back to England, not only would he have to do 30 days quarantine in Oz, but I believe I'm right in saying he'd have six months' quarantine to face in the UK when he returned. Unless he has a pet passport, but I think that is only relevant in the EC?

Difficult decision and I feel for you. Once we'd got our pooch out here we more or less accepted that we'd be here for at least 10 years as we won't put him through that. Considering how long a dog lives, six months is a hellishly long time.

Good luck.

Sue
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:42 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
One thing you might be unaware of. If you do decide to bring him out to Oz, and then decide to go back to England, not only would he have to do 30 days quarantine in Oz, but I believe I'm right in saying he'd have six months' quarantine to face in the UK when he returned. Unless he has a pet passport, but I think that is only relevant in the EC?

Difficult decision and I feel for you. Once we'd got our pooch out here we more or less accepted that we'd be here for at least 10 years as we won't put him through that. Considering how long a dog lives, six months is a hellishly long time.

Good luck.

Sue
oh good thinking
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:45 pm
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
People Killer has 3 E's though
RIP Richard Whitely.

Mon the Killie.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Too soon man ... far too soon.

Stick it out for another few months at least.

Three Legs

We have just decided that we are going to go back to the UK. We came out here 2 months ago after spending 2 years getting our permanent residency visa. We both quit good jobs and sold our house to come here, so aren't taking this decision lightly. We have found that despite feeling very positive about coming here, since arriving we have felt very unsettled and just felt generally depressed and like we've made a big mistake. Whilst the scenery and wildlife is amazing (we even hand fed parrakeets on our balcony this afternoon), we just don't feel right here and we are trying to put a round peg in a square hole. We have found a nice flat with views over the harbour, have a nice car, and I have a job to go to next week (which doesn't excite me at all, but it is all I can get).
There is no main reason for us wanting to go - lots of smaller reasons, we miss family and friends and don't know anybody here, we've cancelled flying the dog out, - so miss him too, we've found a lot anti-english sentiment (I was told that I didn't get a job due to my not fitting in culturally), my partner was sat in the back of a class and witnessed a mature student talking with the tutor about how the English 'come over here', and other students were making comments about 'send them all home', without realising there was an english student in the class (there are lots of other examples too - but it doesn't make you feel very welcome.)
We know logically, we should probably give it more of a try and maybe wait until we start work, but we have been constantly down since we've been here, and feel that we have realised that England is a better country for us.
Has anyone else had similar feelings and gone back or felt like going back this soon?
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
People Killer has 3 E's though

I can't spell.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:06 pm
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzy
I can't spell.
dyslexia rools KO
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lerop Pekill
dyslexia rools KO
I'm more interested in your location
Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:25 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

He's with me its my hubby

Donna.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by madsad
He's with me its my hubby

Donna.

OOer Mrs - didn't mean it like that

I meant the anagram FTP WATP Does it mean anything
Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:45 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzy
OOer Mrs - didn't mean it like that

I meant the anagram FTP WATP Does it mean anything
Lol!!! Yes,but only to him

Donna.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.