Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are we doing the right thing

Are we doing the right thing

Old Mar 14th 2002, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

saunders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are we doing the right thing

I'm new to the site & am wondering if anyone has been in the same position as us & if so what were their experiences good & bad?
I have been offered a job in a perth hospital, nursing, on a 2 year sponsorship. We will be doing a role reversal, I'll be working full time ,my husband will try to find some work which fits in around me & school hours ( he is a carpenter). Does anyone know if he'll be able to work self employed? He apparently gets a working visa along with me.
Also the children are 16, 14 & 9. I'm a bit concerned about the older 2, The 16 yr old will take her GCSE's before we leave england & wants to be a primary school teacher. Here she would study for A levels then go on to university, does anyone know if she'll be able to take something equivelent ito A levels in Perth so that when we return she can go to uni ? or what happens if we stay on (if we are able/want to ). Same question regarding 14 year old, will he take exams before we return to england equivelent to GCSE's so that he can go to sixth form college here. We paln to rent our house in uk & use income to rent a place in Perth. Is this a good/bad idea & where is a good area near to Kings Park & schools. Any help/tips gratefully recieved!!
Old Mar 15th 2002, 6:35 am
Vicki Stone

Default Re: Are we doing the right thing

Hi

I just want to point out that if you return to the UK wanting your daughter to start
Uni you may have probs. On sept 1st of the year she starts Uni you must be resident
in the UK for the 3 years preceding
- apart from temporary absences - which seems to be up to the individual processing
officer, to define temporary absences!!

look here http://www.slc.co.uk/frames/lr/fset.html

Vicki

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Mar 15th 2002, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Lynn-ann is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - Saunders, Out of interest are you from Essex and have friends in Childswickham? Might know you. If not sorry.
Old Mar 16th 2002, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Yes are you Terri's brother ??
Old Mar 16th 2002, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Hi, Yes it's Lynn and Vaughan. Just wanted to say Good Luck. I think you are very brave with children, but go for it. Life's too short. I spent most of my childhood living in other countries (Australia, South Africa) and it gave me so much. I can look back without regret and its made me the type of person to experience everything without fear of the unknown. This is an excellent web site and I am sure there are people who will be able to help you.
Almost 3 months and counting (for visa for Vaughan) so might be flying out end of July at least that would be nice.
Saw holiday video and you all looked great, even asleep (Ha Ha) please don't kill Terri. Nice speaking to you. Prehaps we can all meet up next time Terri's down.
Lynn and Vaughan
Old Mar 16th 2002, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

'O' by the way we are intending to stop off at Singapore for 5 days on flight over. How did you find the best hotel to stay at ?
Did you book it over the internet?
Thanks
Old Mar 17th 2002, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Hi Vaughan & Lynn, Thanks for the encouragement, hope all goes well for you both. We booked the hotel New Park Centra from a brochure, it is on the web, sorry don't have address but if you type in search I think it will come up, it may be worth dealing with them direct as it may work out cheaper. Hotel was fine , bit out of main area of Orchard road but taxis are very cheap & tours will collect & return to hotel.
Old Mar 17th 2002, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

Hi Saunders,
Which hospital, out of interest, are you going to work in?
Was it Geneva Health you got your sponsorship through?
I am a RGN waiting on visas for all the family.
I am laso going to be working full time until Michael gets a job.
He's a painter and decorator and is also lectures his trade.
We have 4 kids, 13, 11, 6 and 2 in June.
My email address is
shona.gormley@ntlworld
if you want to get in touch.
Michael went to Perth last August to suss things out ie. schools,hospitals, real estate, different suburbs etc.
Regards,
Shona