Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We depart for Australia tomorrow

We depart for Australia tomorrow

Old May 8th 2010, 5:49 am
Just Joined

palpal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We depart for Australia tomorrow

Have a safe trip with your family, Freebo. Wish you all the best for your new life in Oz. My turn will be on Sept 2010. Please keep us update your first experience, where you stay temporarily until you manage to rent a flat/house.
Take good care.
Old May 8th 2010, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Excellent, more cockroaches to mock during the State Of Origin series ... safe travels!
I used to live in Qld and wlll always be a Marone, saw the great Wally Lewis's last Origin game at Lane Park

Thanks for all the good wishes, off to the airport in 3 hours!!!

Last edited by freebo; May 8th 2010 at 7:30 am.
Old May 8th 2010, 7:56 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
I used to live in Qld and wlll always be a Marone, saw the great Wally Lewis's last Origin game at Lane Park

Thanks for all the good wishes, off to the airport in 3 hours!!!
"Marone" ... there are some pronounciations that I'll never get used to and that is one ... just had a yog-hurt vs yo-ghurt debate actually
Old May 8th 2010, 8:12 am
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Good luck Freebo to you and your family
Old May 8th 2010, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Bon voyage.
Old May 8th 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

Good luck. Hope everything works out.
Old May 10th 2010, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

perthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really nice

good luck freebo, keep us posted, hopefully it will be us soon!
Old May 10th 2010, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks All,
We're now in sunny Sydney, been here for 1 full day. Sorted bank accounts and mobile (posting this with my phone tethered to laptop). Found Optus offer the best deal for PAYG mobile plan with data.

Had a nice meal on Darling Harbour last night and off to drive around a few suburbs today.

Its been 25 degrees yesterday and today but forecast to be a chilly 19 tomorrow, some people wearing coats already

Work starts on Monday so enjoying it while I can!
Old May 10th 2010, 11:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Switch out the UK lights after you, please.

(Gordon B)
Old May 11th 2010, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

ozmania is an unknown quantity at this point

all the best freebo and thanks for keeping us posted!!

Thanks All,
We're now in sunny Sydney, been here for 1 full day. Sorted bank accounts and mobile (posting this with my phone tethered to laptop). Found Optus offer the best deal for PAYG mobile plan with data.

Had a nice meal on Darling Harbour last night and off to drive around a few suburbs today.

Its been 25 degrees yesterday and today but forecast to be a chilly 19 tomorrow, some people wearing coats already

Old May 11th 2010, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

palpal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks All,

Hi Freebo,

Glad to hear you had a great journey.
By the way, where do you stay at the moment after your arrival? I'm planning to arrive on Sept 2010 and wondering where to stay at first because I can't afford hotel too long. It's gonna be very expensive.
Please share your experience.
Thanks and have a great experience.

Palpal
Old May 13th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

muditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks All,

Freebo,

How about openning bank account and tax file ? Was it straight forward ?
Old May 13th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by palpal
Hi Freebo,

Glad to hear you had a great journey.
By the way, where do you stay at the moment after your arrival? I'm planning to arrive on Sept 2010 and wondering where to stay at first because I can't afford hotel too long. It's gonna be very expensive.
Please share your experience.
Thanks and have a great experience.

Palpal
We're staying in a serviced appartment until we find a rental, its costing about $1,100 a week and its not super luxury, I'd say about 3-4* but its very close to my new job.

Mudita, we don't have the TFN yet, will get one when we have a perm I think this just means I'll be on top-rate tax for now (which I will be on anyway) if I overpay I'll get it back later, we arranged the bank account with NAB before we came and picked up the cards on the first day.

Even for what I think is a good buget, nice houses to rent are hard to find and there is a lot of competion.

Last edited by freebo; May 13th 2010 at 7:11 am.
Old May 13th 2010, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

muditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of light

We're staying in a serviced appartment until we find a rental, its costing about $1,100 a week and its not super luxury, I'd say about 3-4* but its very close to my new job.

Mudita, we don't have the TFN yet, will get one when we have a perm I think this just means I'll be on top-rate tax for now (which I will be on anyway) if I overpay I'll get it back later, we arranged the bank account with NAB before we came and picked up the cards on the first day.

Even for what I think is a good buget, nice houses to rent are hard to find and there is a lot of competion.
Thanx Freebo.