Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We (Australian) 're working longer, harder for less pay: study

We (Australian) 're working longer, harder for less pay: study

Old Jun 12th 2003, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We (Australian) 're working longer, harder for less pay: study

I still cannot understand why I want to migrate to Australia.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...220688934.html

I am slowly less interested in doing so.

Any same experience.
Old Jun 12th 2003, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We (Australian) 're working longer, harder for less pay: study

Originally posted by willywh3r3

Any same experience.
Oz lives on unpaid overtime and long hours. Perhaps not much worse than the UK but certainly no better either. Long way to go to find same problems.
Old Jun 12th 2003, 6:06 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Any same experience.

Same kind of thing but I am a Pom it does not apply to me?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=158847

Old Jun 12th 2003, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Any same experience.

I am Engineering Manager at the company i work for and am on a salary. I work a lot of Saturdays and quite often stay late at work. I dont get paid overtime for this and wouldn't expect this to be any different in Australia as the general rule is that when you are salary paid you do not get paid overtime.

You just make sure that you negotiate yourself good terms and conditions, if you dont then you only have yourself to blame.

Old Jun 13th 2003, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by John Howard
I am Engineering Manager at the company i work for and am on a salary. I work a lot of Saturdays and quite often stay late at work. I dont get paid overtime for this and wouldn't expect this to be any different in Australia as the general rule is that when you are salary paid you do not get paid overtime.

You just make sure that you negotiate yourself good terms and conditions, if you dont then you only have yourself to blame.

Beggars can be choosers in Oz?
Old Jun 13th 2003, 1:33 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by John Howard

Having worked in Engineering in the UK and out here , all I can say is turn again young man its shite here.

Old Jun 13th 2003, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Having worked in Engineering in the UK and out here , all I can say is turn again young man its shite here.

I like these fairy tales for adults: "turn again young man its shite"! This dreamer is Thick Twittington on the road to Oz?
Old Jun 13th 2003, 1:54 am
Banned

Originally posted by Wilf
I like these fairy tales for adults: "turn again young man its shite"! This dreamer is Thick Twittington on the road to Oz?
Mega you are letting you guard slip again?

Old Jun 13th 2003, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Mega you are letting you guard slip again?

Sorry, just wilf. Not dotty, not mega, not PB, not anyone else but loathsome wilf. The only alter ego I have is mrs wilf's shopping carrier and handyman (cannot do plumbing, cannot do electrics, cannot do bricklaying, but I live in the same house so am very handy).
Old Jun 13th 2003, 2:01 am
Banned

Sorry, just wilf. Not dotty, not mega, not PB, not anyone else but loathsome wilf. The only alter ego I have is mrs wilf's shopping carrier and handyman (cannot do plumbing, cannot do electrics, cannot do bricklaying, but I live in the same house so am very handy).
Sorry as you said I love fairy tales ?

Old Jun 13th 2003, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry as you said I love fairy tales ?

I remember a cartoon about Jeffrey Archer when he was up for London Mayor. It had him on his way TOWARDS London and the bells of St Pauls were ringing out "Turn again"! Very good.

You work in engineering in Oz? A feller yesterday (Pete?) said there are science jobs for poms in Oz. I am not familiar with the profession but I said there were likely to be few jobs like that in NZ at least. You agree with him? Oz is good for science?
Old Jun 13th 2003, 2:17 am
Banned

I remember a cartoon about Jeffrey Archer when he was up for London Mayor. It had him on his way TOWARDS London and the bells of St Pauls were ringing out "Turn again"! Very good.

You work in engineering in Oz? A feller yesterday (Pete?) said there are science jobs for poms in Oz. I am not familiar with the profession but I said there were likely to be few jobs like that in NZ at least. You agree with him? Oz is good for science?
I work in R&D and without knocking this country too much I would say no its good for bugger all , it has not the funds or base economy to be up there with Europe or America in the fields of science or engineering.
Now bricklaying thats a different game.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jun 13th 2003 at 2:31 am.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

I work in R&D and without knocking this country too much I would say no its good for bugger all , it has not the funds or base economy to be up there with Europe or America in the fields of science or engineering.
Now bricklaying that a different game.

Maybe I am right for Oz too then. I said that it was not likely to be that good for science. One of my kids is a Bachelor of Science and working in R&D in England - could not get a suitable job here (even though he got amongst the best exam results), so you have done well to have your job.
I see there is a new mission to Mars soon (or now?) My biggest wish (apart from lotto) is that I live long enough to see people go to Mars. It was a big dream of my childhood and still is for me. Once it is done, Poms will emigrate there for the space and lack of yobs I bet. They will like the sun too I expect.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Any same experience.
Don`t know about overtime etc. but it was on the news here last night that in less than 7 years time, 1 in 3 employees here will be "casual" - to me that says a lot...
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

These news items are ten a penny these days. You get exactly the same in the UK and in the US in terms of hours worked etc. What is worrying is the 'casual' employment status that is becoming more prevalent in Australia. For a country that is so hung up on red tape, it is hard to believe that there is such little in the way of employment law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.