Are we allowed?

Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:33 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Are we allowed?

When we move over to Oz in March, the first thing that we would like to do is buy a car.

As we will have not got a permanent residential address straight away, is this still possible?

Rob
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we allowed?

good question rob......

i've been wondering the same thing!!!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
When we move over to Oz in March, the first thing that we would like to do is buy a car.

As we will have not got a permanent residential address straight away, is this still possible?

Rob

Simple answer yes. You can buy a car on any visa, you can use whatever address you live in at that time or use a friends! Well aslong as you got the cash....
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Simple answer yes. You can buy a car on any visa, you can use whatever address you live in at that time or use a friends! Well aslong as you got the cash....
Also don,t forget you,ll have to get an ausi licence after 3 months I THINK!!!!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:25 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
We ordered our car from the UK so that we could pick it up as soon as was feasibly possible. We gave my brother in laws address as contact details and needed to get our driver's licences sorted before we collected the vehicle as they needed a customer number to fill out the documentation properly.

So, in answer to your question, any address is a good address!

Binbird
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by binbird
needed to get our driver's licences sorted before we collected the vehicle as they needed a customer number to fill out the documentation properly.
I had that problem in NSW, when I returned to Aus in 2000, and had to have the car registered in my wifes name, as I didn't have a Australian Licence. However, I know others that have been able to buy even with just a UK licence. It may be State difference ?

Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:56 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I had that problem in NSW, when I returned to Aus in 2000, and had to have the car registered in my wifes name, as I didn't have a Australian Licence. However, I know others that have been able to buy even with just a UK licence. It may be State difference ?
Yep, Dagboy bought a car here in Qld with UK licence when he got here, Qld Transport will give you a customer reference number instead of your licence number to use. (He still doesnt have a Qld licence & has car, boat & trailer all registered despite only having a UK licence).

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jan 11th 2006 at 12:00 am.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Yep, Dagboy bought a car here in Qld with UK licence when he got here, Qld Transport will give you a customer reference number instead of your licence number to use. (He still doesnt have a Qld licence & has car, boat & trailer all registered despite only having a UK licence).
I "thought" that was the case here, but wasn't 100% certain.

Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:05 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Rob
Hi

We're in NSW - I got my license in the first week here and bought my car in the second week here!

DO NOT take the first offer - we "played off" 3 Holden dealerships and got a good price at the end of it and I was able to use my $2000 worth of GM card points which I had accumulated in UK to get a further reduction.

The dealership still made a profit of course

Jim

ps congrats on finding a buyer for your house - hope it "sticks" for you