Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ways to get extra luggage allowance

Ways to get extra luggage allowance

Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:49 pm
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice
Question Ways to get extra luggage allowance

Hi there,

Does anyone know any ways to get a larger baggage allowance?

We want to travel from London Heathrow to Bankok(Thailand) spend one or two weeks there and then travel the rest of the way to Australia, this is our migration.

We are going to only be taking what baggage allowance the plane will allow each. We understand that some airlines do a larger baggage allowance, does anyone know who and whether they have to be booked by IOM, or independantly.

IOM is given in the visa grant letter and it is not clear what you can and cant do with their flights. We want to stop over but will only want maximum 20kg to travel with in Thailand. I know when I flew before there was a left luggage facility at Bankok airport, but that was before September 11th and I don't know whether this is still an option.

If any one knows anything about this please feel free to reply here, or private message us.

Thank you all

Angie(and Mark)
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ways to get extra luggage allowance

Originally Posted by markrj
Hi there,

We want to travel from London Heathrow to Bankok(Thailand) spend one or two weeks there and then travel the rest of the way to Australia, this is our migration.

We are going to only be taking what baggage allowance the plane will allow each. We understand that some airlines do a larger baggage allowance, does anyone know who and whether they have to be booked by IOM, or independantly.

IOM is given in the visa grant letter and it is not clear what you can and cant do with their flights. We want to stop over but will only want maximum 20kg to travel with in Thailand. I know when I flew before there was a left luggage facility at Bankok airport, but that was before September 11th and I don't know whether this is still an option.

If any one knows anything about this please feel free to reply here, or private message us.

Thank you all

Angie(and Mark)
all I know is that when we booked our flights with Travelbag/Qantas we told them that we were emigrating and please could we have extra luggage allowance -

sure you can they said, which is great news. I suppose we'll have to take proof unless it says on tickets.

sorry if this isn't much help
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

im sure you have to fly direct to get your double allowance your stop off in bkk would mean you have little or no chance
Old Jul 4th 2006, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

jojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to behold

A stopover shouldn't make any difference. We are stopping off in Singapore and have been given the additional allowance (40kg/person). When I booked the tickets with Trailfinders I had to bring the passports with visas....they took a photocopy and that was it. Baggage allowance adjusted! I think people previously have contacted the airline directly to confirm the increased allowance. Ensure you take written evidence though as somebody recently took a stopover and had problems with the excess baggage on the second flight and was charged!!
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:07 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Going from replies to previous post on this subject most if not all airlines will not allow 40kg if you a stopping on route.
We ask Emirates and the answer was NO!, but then we are having 4 stops
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:08 pm
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of

Hi

we r travelling by emirates and can only get extra allowance if on a non-stop flight (exc re-fuel)...so every airline is different!! But its worth getting written confirm about the extra allowance so u don't have any hassle at check-in!!

Originally Posted by markrj
Hi there,

Thank you all

Angie(and Mark)
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:16 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luchi
Hi

we r travelling by emirates and can only get extra allowance if on a non-stop flight (exc re-fuel)...so every airline is different!! But its worth getting written confirm about the extra allowance so u don't have any hassle at check-in!!
Good point, get it in black and white, again many people have been told they can have the extra allowance but have nothing in b&w so they end up paying for the extra luggage.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:20 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ways to get extra luggage allowance

If you fly via the US you can get 46 - 64kg each no matter what visa you are on. Air New Zealand and United are 2 airlines that fly this route.

Buzzy
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

I booked my flight with travelbag using singapore airlines and even though i gave them a copy of my visa my tickets state 20kg. Rang them twice and twice they promised to give me proof of 40kgs and twice didn't.
Rang SIA at manchester airport and asked for fax confirming and they said they don't do faxes and as long as my visa isn't validated i will get the allowance. So i faxed SIA and they sent me a email confirming 40kg allowance.

I wanted to have a two night stopover in singapore but was told if i did that i couldn't have the extra baggage allowance. So no stopover

Ali x
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough

Which fax numbers for SIA please?

I was told as long as I have a PRvisa I'll be ok at checkin...

Does a ProspectiveMarriageVisa class as PR yet?
all confusing...
Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Leeds_to_Perth
Which fax numbers for SIA please?

I was told as long as I have a PRvisa I'll be ok at checkin...

Does a ProspectiveMarriageVisa class as PR yet?
all confusing...
We have booked with Malaysian, through trailfinders and they said we can only have 20kg. We are going on a 457 so will we qualify for more? Who do I contact?

Debs
Old Jul 7th 2006, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

When I flew over in November last year with SIA we got the confirmation of the extra allowance and had a stopoverfor 4 days in Singapore however the london office had not informed the people in Singapore that we had the extra allowance so I had to negotiate with the people in Singapore in order to get the allowance at no extra cost to me
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojo90
A stopover shouldn't make any difference. We are stopping off in Singapore and have been given the additional allowance (40kg/person). When I booked the tickets with Trailfinders I had to bring the passports with visas....they took a photocopy and that was it. Baggage allowance adjusted! I think people previously have contacted the airline directly to confirm the increased allowance. Ensure you take written evidence though as somebody recently took a stopover and had problems with the excess baggage on the second flight and was charged!!
We flew with singapore airlines, they eventually upped our allowance to 30kgs each + 7 kgs hand luggage. Hubby phoned & emailed a couple of times to get the result he wanted, you may need to persevere to. He had to fax copy of visa too. We had a one night stop in singapore, all hold luggage (total of 7 items) were chesked in at heathrow all way to final destination airport, no need to collect & take to singapore airport, no worry with re checking th ehold luggage back on next flight , all done by singapore air, no problems at all, all luggage arrived safe & sound at destination
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:54 am
Just Joined

The Nices is an unknown quantity at this point

We are flying with Malaysian Airlines in September. Booked direct with them and was told they stopped the 40kg allowance some time ago!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Nices
We are flying with Malaysian Airlines in September. Booked direct with them and was told they stopped the 40kg allowance some time ago!
Rats! Thanks for letting me know.

Debs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.