Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which way round!

Which way round!

Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

FilSheff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which way round!

Hey! We're in the process of saving for our 175 at the moment. Spending every hour imaginable researching Aus and the lifestyle etc, and getting more and more excited, and we haven't even applied yet!

Just a couple of questions though. When people move to Aus, does it make more sense to find somewhere to live (we'd be renting) and then find a job around the area you've chosen to live, or to find a job and then find somewhere to live convenient to where the job's located!?

Bit confused as to the best way to do it. I guess people are gonna come back with each option - which worked best for you?

My OH is a hairdresser with approx 10 years experience, and next month is starting a salon manager's job. As far as work for him goes, would people recommend Perth or Adelaide for job availability? I work as a travel agent - I'm going to guess there is plenty of availability for that too? If not, I'd be willing to consider other options.

Thanks in advance for all your help
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which way round!

Originally Posted by FilSheff
Hey! We're in the process of saving for our 175 at the moment. Spending every hour imaginable researching Aus and the lifestyle etc, and getting more and more excited, and we haven't even applied yet!

Just a couple of questions though. When people move to Aus, does it make more sense to find somewhere to live (we'd be renting) and then find a job around the area you've chosen to live, or to find a job and then find somewhere to live convenient to where the job's located!?

Bit confused as to the best way to do it. I guess people are gonna come back with each option - which worked best for you?

My OH is a hairdresser with approx 10 years experience, and next month is starting a salon manager's job. As far as work for him goes, would people recommend Perth or Adelaide for job availability? I work as a travel agent - I'm going to guess there is plenty of availability for that too? If not, I'd be willing to consider other options.

Thanks in advance for all your help
I pay around 22$ offpeak to get a decent haircut. Of course there are 8$-10$ chinese/lebs doing a haircut if that's what one wants. What I am sayingis, 10 years experience and if they decent in hair cutting then game on. Everyone needs a haircut may be it recession

Re : to Perth vs. Adelaide - tough one. If you had said that your partner was in Banking Finance, I would have said Sydney or Melb. Given that his profession is not location based (so as to speak) -I think it does not matter. See what others have to say though.

Re : which way around. Well again, the profession can mean job anywhere in the city. So get temp accomodation. I will give your one pointer - get accomodation close to transport (train preferred), the partner can travel just in case job needs a bit of travel and then you can move they have settled down.

Just my thoughts....
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

As a hairdresser he could end up working anywhere in or around the city, but just because you find the place you want to live doesn't necessarily mean there will be a job waiting in that area. He may still have to travel a bit to secure the job he wants.

I'd say get temp accomodation, look around a bit and decide on a few places you wouldn't mind living and then seek a job. A hairdresser friend of mine went to Adelaide about 6 months ago and walked straight into a job, but it's probably the same in Perth. Have a look at the attractions of both cities and see which appeals more, look at seek.com.au to compare wages and job availability, and have a look at real estate sites to compare affordability and I thnk you'll build up an idea of which is best.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

FilSheff is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone else got any other opinions regarding this? Needing as much advice and ideas as possible please!

Thanks!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:50 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FilSheff
Has anyone else got any other opinions regarding this? Needing as much advice and ideas as possible please!

Thanks!
I pay quite a bit for a haircut round here...so if he were to work as a hairdresser and then maybe open up his own salon that would be good. I live in Melbourne and find it a really nice place to live....I think Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne are your best options....It would be best to research where you would like to settle until your blue in the face, then when you arrive rent a place and just get settled in and then look for work and then relocate if you need.

If you have any questions about those cities just ask

Last edited by S E A N; Feb 19th 2009 at 11:53 am.