British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Water usage...how you doin????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/water-usage-how-you-doin-443856/)

The S's Apr 21st 2007 12:05 pm

Water usage...how you doin?????

Got my quarterly rates bill a couple of days ago. To my absolute shock I have a daily water usage of 1350 ltrs per day:eek:
Some of this was for a period before we bought the house so I phoned up and was told not to worry my average since we moved in is 920 per day:eek:
This means we are in excess of the 800 ltr cap set out by the state. I cant believe it. We have every water saving device around, 1350 ltr water tank, grey water system, dual flush toilets the lot. The lady at the council said that as a family of 4 this is average, but I feel I am doing wrong. I will now be audited. I do however have a heavy water consumer, a pool. I have installed rain water diverters but it does help if it rains...
I have checked for a leak and all is ok, someone must be drinking the stuff.
Its not until it is put in front of you in black and white that you realise just how much you use.

PS. The family who had the house before us used an average of 4500 ltrs a day, no confidentiality in Australian council systems...

Stitch Apr 21st 2007 12:13 pm

Re: Water usage...how you doin?????

Hi guys,

There'll be nae washing at your house then!

Ginny:thumbsup:

Need to catch up soon x

Santa Apr 21st 2007 12:54 pm

The loo is a Big user of water, the saying in the country goes 'If it's yellow, let it mellow......... If it's brown, wash it down.
Living with water tanks makes you think about water use, 4 minute showers, water saving taps etc are the way to go.
You'll find drinking beer and not water saves heaps.

MrsDagboy Apr 21st 2007 1:59 pm

We just got ours - 560litres/day, 4 person household including a pool.

Pollyana Apr 21st 2007 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Santa (Post 4677155)
The loo is a Big user of water, the saying in the country goes 'If it's yellow, let it mellow......... If it's brown, wash it down.
Living with water tanks makes you think about water use, 4 minute showers, water saving taps etc are the way to go.
You'll find drinking beer and not water saves heaps.

Most men I know have an alternative method of saving water where the loo is concerned......their aim is so bad that it all goes on the floor and theres nothing that needs flushing anyway :eek:

ray2gill Apr 21st 2007 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4677533)
Most men I know have an alternative method of saving water where the loo is concerned......their aim is so bad that it all goes on the floor and theres nothing that needs flushing anyway :eek:

Oh how true!:D

joho Apr 21st 2007 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by ray2gill (Post 4677629)
Oh how true!:D

340 litres a day family of 5, off to polish my halo.

Pooh whats that smell.

We have 2 x 2500 litre tanks conected to 3 toilets and a washing machine. Oh and bore water for the pool, although with the blanket we only topped 3 times in summer.

Jo

Wol Apr 21st 2007 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by The S's (Post 4676981)
Got my quarterly rates bill a couple of days ago. To my absolute shock I have a daily water usage of 1350 ltrs per day:eek:
Some of this was for a period before we bought the house so I phoned up and was told not to worry my average since we moved in is 920 per day:eek:
This means we are in excess of the 800 ltr cap set out by the state. I cant believe it. We have every water saving device around, 1350 ltr water tank, grey water system, dual flush toilets the lot. The lady at the council said that as a family of 4 this is average, but I feel I am doing wrong. I will now be audited. I do however have a heavy water consumer, a pool. I have installed rain water diverters but it does help if it rains...
I have checked for a leak and all is ok, someone must be drinking the stuff.
Its not until it is put in front of you in black and white that you realise just how much you use.

PS. The family who had the house before us used an average of 4500 ltrs a day, no confidentiality in Australian council systems...

Do you have a pool cover?

We went down from an evaporation loss of 225 gall/day without one to about 20 galls/day with it.

lightr0d2o Apr 21st 2007 10:26 pm

we are a family of 4 with water usage of 652L a day we also have a pool.
two daughters one of them with a boy friend who seems to stay here more often than not. front loader washing machines are better than top loaders for saving water and dish washers usually use less water than doing the washing up at the sink, well that my excuse anyway.

matt-and-jenny Apr 21st 2007 11:12 pm

245 per day for us :) - there's only 2 of us plus the dog tho.

Got to admit, we could do better than that - we have a really old single flush loo.

Used my free 4 minute timer (from the Courier Mail) in the shower this morning - found that difficult as I need to wash my greasy hair everyday:(

J.

matt-and-jenny Apr 21st 2007 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by joho (Post 4678696)
340 litres a day family of 5, off to polish my halo.

Pooh whats that smell.

We have 2 x 2500 litre tanks conected to 3 toilets and a washing machine. Oh and bore water for the pool, although with the blanket we only topped 3 times in summer.

Jo

Wow, you're good.

The S's Apr 22nd 2007 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Stitch (Post 4677009)
Hi guys,

There'll be nae washing at your house then!

Ginny:thumbsup:

Need to catch up soon x

The kids are already riffy, and don't get me started on the smell of sadie:thumbsup:

joho Apr 22nd 2007 2:42 am

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny (Post 4678912)
Wow, you're good.

I know but thanks for telling me.

bridie Apr 22nd 2007 2:48 am

Does it give you your average daily usage on the bill or did you work it out?

Must admit never thought about it, might take a look when our first bill comes in.

Pollyana Apr 22nd 2007 3:11 am

Tricky when we're in a rented place - we don't see the water bill as the landlord gets it and pays it. We can't install a tank and can't make any other modifications like taps and shower heads. Dual flush loo anyway, when I can find a brick that fits I'll bung that in the cistern too like we used to do back home!
The kitchen is now permanently full of dirty washing up as with only two if us there isn't enough to make it worth using water for until its been there 3-4 days......so we have rampant ants!!
Don't go near the garden - the landlord has the responsibility for doing it and its only a dustbowl anyhow, no plants to worry about.
Got a lovely water efficient front loader that I only use when its full.

So apart from not washing - (which I have to do for the sake of my nightmare skin!) - I don't see what else we can do.......so why do I feel guilty when people go on about "you must use less water"? :rolleyes: