Water shortage

Old May 29th 2007, 9:38 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water shortage

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
We've also now been told that electricity prices are about to rise 75%
Jane
75% is that for real? I hope it's a typo after my thread on our exorbitant bill the other week

Water wise we're 30 mm from the tanks overflowing so theoretically we're fine for 6 months + barring any water theft. Deb reckons we no longer have to share showers, I swear I saw her doing a rain dance last week
Old May 29th 2007, 9:43 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Scary part is we are going into winter - the dry season. It was about 3/4 years ago winter in bris had no rain for 5 months, you only had to go 20 mins inland to see a dustbowl, as much as I''d like believe were going to get a heap of rain, I'm not terribly convinced given the clear sunny dry winters brisbane usually has. Finger crossed tho
Can you tell me what the Govt are doing to get water to the SE Queensland area. Pipe it? Desalination PLants?
Old May 29th 2007, 9:54 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
75% is that for real? I hope it's a typo after my thread on our exorbitant bill the other week

Water wise we're 30 mm from the tanks overflowing so theoretically we're fine for 6 months + barring any water theft. Deb reckons we no longer have to share showers, I swear I saw her doing a rain dance last week
From yesterday's Courier Mail, so it must be true.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...8-3102,00.html

We had some paving done a few months ago and they damaged the pipe leading to our water tank. They appeared to have fixed it but there must be a slow leak becasue it takes ages to start filling. Paving would have to be dug up and relaid to fix it properly so I doubt that's going to happen.

Jad, I think this winter is already different to normal, its only just getting cold for one thing, but there's an awful lot more cloud about than usual. I hate winter, the dryness turns my skin to flaky pastry. And now that my boy's in high school, I'm getting up earlier than Jim, so the fire's not going to be lit until I'm already up and about.

Jane
Old May 29th 2007, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Can you tell me what the Govt are doing to get water to the SE Queensland area. Pipe it? Desalination PLants?
1. Pray
2. fight and scream over whos water it is.
3. develop smug we have water and you have not got water mentality
4. finally realise that if a small corner of a state grows by 50,000 people a year you need infastructure.

Amid the political point scoring and cat fights, a water grid and new dams are planned, a shared water supply so the have areas coasts have to supply areas like brisbane that simply cant cope. Theres a strategic plan if you have 20 mins to read it, all a bit late really, if we get the usual dry winter.
Old May 29th 2007, 10:06 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

They intend to pump it from areas where the local councils have invested heavily and continuously over a period of many years to ensure that their rate payers have sufficient water in times of drought. That way everyone can run out, the ones that failed to invest as well as the ones that have.
It's a bit like saving cash for your old age only to have to pay for someone else because they squandered theirs.
Desalination plants have been ruled out as a solution. State govt are building just one but are hellbent on going ahead with another dam project that is going to cost at least 6 times the price of another desalination plant. The Traveston Dam idea was thought up in just 7 days last Feb, poorly conceived, shallow [average depth 7 m] massively expensive and most importantly 100% reliant on rainfall. It's a get out clause for the Premiere: "Well people of SE QLD I wanted to build a dam but everyone else thinks it's a bad idea. It would have solved all our problems BUT.................."
Peter Beattie has now taken control of all water resources away from local councils, they are all under state control, he can now rob from Paul to pay for Peter's mistakes.
Old May 29th 2007, 10:14 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

They intend to pump it from areas where the local councils have invested heavily and continuously over a period of many years to ensure that their rate payers have sufficient water in times of drought. That way everyone can run out, the ones that failed to invest as well as the ones that have.
Don't forget that a few years ago they built a pipe to supply the Gold Coast from Brisbane when they were running out. They, however, neglected to make it a two way pipe.

Jane
Old May 29th 2007, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Question Re: Water shortage

It's a bit like saving cash for your old age only to have to pay for someone else because they squandered theirs.
Desalination plants have been ruled out as a solution. State govt are building just one but are hellbent on going ahead with another dam project that is going to cost at least 6 times the price of another desalination plant. The Traveston Dam idea was thought up in just 7 days last Feb, poorly conceived, shallow [average depth 7 m] massively expensive and most importantly 100% reliant on rainfall. It's a get out clause for the Premiere: "Well people of SE QLD I wanted to build a dam but everyone else thinks it's a bad idea. It would have solved all our problems BUT.................."
Peter Beattie has now taken control of all water resources away from local councils, they are all under state control, he can now rob from Paul to pay for Peter's mistakes.
Is it true what I hear that rainwater tanks are not allowed? It seems like an obvious thing to do, collect what you can individually.
Old May 29th 2007, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Scary part is we are going into winter - the dry season. It was about 3/4 years ago winter in bris had no rain for 5 months, you only had to go 20 mins inland to see a dustbowl, as much as I''d like believe were going to get a heap of rain, I'm not terribly convinced given the clear sunny dry winters brisbane usually has. Finger crossed tho
We came over in June 2005 - a week later the whole place was flooded!!! Honestly - shopping centres evacuated, peoples houses flooded, I have never seen anything like it.

Perhaps they will have to follow the lines of European countries who cannot drink tap water and buy bottled?

Am I correct in thinking that in central London they use 're-cycled' water?

Hopefully they will realsise that perhaps some of the damms are in the wrong place - on Gold Coast, theirs is OK??
Old May 29th 2007, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by quercus
Is it true what I hear that rainwater tanks are not allowed? It seems like an obvious thing to do, collect what you can individually.
Not any more, they pay you a subsidy to install them now. Just like they paid you a subsidy to do away with them a few yrs ago That was so you had no option buy to pay water rates
Old May 29th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Not any more, they pay you a subsidy to install them now. Just like they paid you a subsidy to do away with them a few yrs ago That was so you had no option buy to pay water rates
Aha! Sounds like certain agricultural policies such as grants to rip out hedges then grants to plant them....UK I'm talking about here!
Old May 29th 2007, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by quercus
Aha! Sounds like certain agricultural policies such as grants to rip out hedges then grants to plant them....UK I'm talking about here!
Yep striking similarities
Old May 30th 2007, 3:32 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I just happen to have the newly released SEQ Infrastrucutre Plan and Program in front of me as released by Bligh yesterday.

The Govt has commited extra money to bring forward the date for the recyled water pipeline to reach Wivenhoe. On its way it takes recyled water to Tarong power station so our risk of power shortages gets reduced.

This is the biggest reclyed water pipeline in the southern hemisphere; its over 200km long I think. It is due for completion Oct 2008 and if it is on time should meet water demand just in time before Wivenhoe reaches critical proportions.

One problem is that since people are saving their grey water and putting it on the gardens that there is less water flowing to the recycling plant and so less will get sent back to Wivenhoe.

Adiitonal projects include linking all SEQ dams up; desal on the Gold Coast and new dam at Traveston.

Biggest issue at the moment is the ability for these projects to deliver on time.
Old May 30th 2007, 3:42 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smilz
Hi to everyone this is my first post.

I have been looking to moving my family to Queensland for some time now and in fact nearly took the plunge.....BUT Brisbane went to level five water restrictions and we decided not to proceed any further until the situation eased.

What with the Murry Darling basin nearly dry and farmers going out of business, the thought that electricity generators will have to cut back their water usage therefore cut back on the amount of electicity the produce and with Mr Howard suggesting that the best course of action is for all austalians to pray I cannot for the life of me see why people are still migrating.

Working on the principle that humans need air,food and water to live why move to a drought area when one of those is due to run out?

Have I made a mistake - I dont think so as it was on the BBC not so long ago and there is loads on the net if u look for it e.g.

http://www.greenleft.org.au/2007/711/36915

So my question is why are people moving in droves to a potential disaster area.

I really dont mean to upset anyone its just that I just wonder why everyone seems to be ignoring the facts.
----------------------
"I love a sunburnt country, A land of sweeping plains, Of ragged mountain ranges, Of drought and flooding rains,...." Written by Dorothea MacKellar 1906
----------------------

The 'facts' are that it is a bad drought but droughts break ...

For the amount of time we have been keeping records I think it is premature to jump to hysterical conclusions about 'disaster areas'.

The one good thing to come out of all of this will hopefully be that people will consider their water consumption a bit more carefully ... do they REALLY need to clean that car every week?
Old May 30th 2007, 4:04 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

The Vic gov is looking at piping water from NE Queensland to Victoria - what a feat that would be if that is the route they decide !!
They are also looking at a Desalination Plant.
Old May 30th 2007, 4:11 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Eenrgy prices to consumers may go up a lot in the long run, but then so does the price for everything.

Current water shortgaes at Snowy Hydro and in QLD are impacting forward energy prices. However, end consumers are not being too directly imapcted by this yet as governments maintain price controls.

The QLD government is allowing a 10% increase in electricity tariffs from 1 July this year. At the same time QLDers will for the first time be allowed to buy electricity from companies other than Energex (now Origin and AGL). Competiiton in the market will mean the MAXIMUM you would pay is the 10% increase. Origin, for example are offering one month free and Intergal Energy are offering 10% off the MAXIMUM price allowed.

In other parts of themarket which are NOT subject to price control, business using more than 100MWh a year, they ARE facing price increases of anything up to 100%. The water shortage has seen wholesale electricity prices go up considerably and this is not expected to change until the there is significant rainfall in SEQ and in the Snowy region.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.