Water Issues

Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:12 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water Issues

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
I'm not sure that will happen. People tend to vote out old governments rather than vote in new ones, (if that makes sense ) and I don't think Johnny has done anything bad enough to be voted out.

People here haven't forgotten that Kevin Rudd voted down water infrastructure measures years ago.

Jane
You're right there - my SIL mentioned exactly that just last week .
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:21 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
You're right there - my SIL mentioned exactly that just last week .

How are you? Been away a while. Back with a vengeance now, though.

Jane
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:28 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

How are you? Been away a while. Back with a vengeance now, though.

Jane
We're good, having a quiet weekend at home which doesnt happen very often now, usually busy doing something, but I decided to drop in & check my PMs the other day since I hadn't been on. How's things with you, it's been so dry, how's your garden going, hope you havent lost too much stuff because of the lack of rain? Having the tank must be a lifesaver, my roses etc have all died, even the natives that we planted & we've put all our garden plans on hold, it's depressing .
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:53 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
We're good, having a quiet weekend at home which doesnt happen very often now, usually busy doing something, but I decided to drop in & check my PMs the other day since I hadn't been on. How's things with you, it's been so dry, how's your garden going, hope you havent lost too much stuff because of the lack of rain? Having the tank must be a lifesaver, my roses etc have all died, even the natives that we planted & we've put all our garden plans on hold, it's depressing .
We've planted mostly water tolerant plants so haven't lost too much. Lost our potatoes over Christmas because we went back to the UK for 5 weeks and Jim didn't set up irrigation for them. I love new potatoes and you don't get them here, really. We'll try again next year, the 5 we had were yummy . We haven't planted any grass because we didn't see the point. We just have mulch everywhere. If we didn't have piles of sand and gravel and wooden pallets out the front, the garden would look quite nice.

Jane
p.s. when I say we, I mean Jim. I just supervise.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:45 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We've planted mostly water tolerant plants so haven't lost too much. Lost our potatoes over Christmas because we went back to the UK for 5 weeks and Jim didn't set up irrigation for them. I love new potatoes and you don't get them here, really. We'll try again next year, the 5 we had were yummy . We haven't planted any grass because we didn't see the point. We just have mulch everywhere. If we didn't have piles of sand and gravel and wooden pallets out the front, the garden would look quite nice.

Jane
p.s. when I say we, I mean Jim. I just supervise.
Maybe the trick here is to grow them under black plastic, I have't tried it myself but my father had. Over here that would lessen the evaporation and be easier to keep the overall moisture up....

http://www.humeseeds.com/potato.htm
You also can plant potatoes under black plastic. Cut open a piece of the black plastic, and plant a potato piece. The potato tubers will develop as they would in the open ground. However, the tubers that develop close to the surface of the soil are shaded by the black plastic and should not develop the green inedible portions that often are found on other tubers. The black plastic also will aid in controlling weeds.

There's also an interesting bit about growing in tires in there as well.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:47 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
There's also an interesting bit about growing in tires in there as well.

I thought it was only gypos that did that
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:51 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louise4
I thought it was only gypos that did that
Don't think we need to trap the heat in here... maybe why we don't see it here as not many gypsies just ferals and.... **** .
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:53 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think we need to trap the heat in here... maybe why we don't see it here as not many gypsies just ferals and.... **** .
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:07 pm
Born to be ignored

Maybe the trick here is to grow them under black plastic, I have't tried it myself but my father had. Over here that would lessen the evaporation and be easier to keep the overall moisture up....
The real trick is to water them. I doubt many veggies would go 5 weeks without water without dying.

Our pumpkins are growing well, though. Only trouble is, we only like them in soup so now we've got a pumpkin mountain.

Jane
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:10 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

The real trick is to water them. I doubt many veggies would go 5 weeks without water without dying.

Our pumpkins are growing well, though. Only trouble is, we only like them in soup so now we've got a pumpkin mountain.

Jane
I can recommend roasting them like potatoes but not for as long - yummy.

Buzzy
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:11 pm
forever hopeful

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy

mmmmmmmmmm my faves. also mash them and serve with chicken and rice. yum yum
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:31 pm
Born to be ignored

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
Tried that and they were horrible. Bleughhhh. Also tried currying them, pasta recipes and every other recipe I could find. Soup' s the only way to go.

Jane