Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Water charges question. Need Advice!!!!

Water charges question. Need Advice!!!!

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Water charges question. Need Advice!!!!

Hey All

Just found out that our rainwater tank is not connected and is using the mains water all the time. There is not even any power in the socket where the pump is plugged in

Now I was onto our lovely rental agent And told her about these problems and said I thought it was unfair that we should have to pay the water charges as i have been maintaining the gardens using the mains water. So therefor i am paying the bill to maintain their gardens. Which i wont be doing until the problems is fixed. Also we have been using the mains to flush the toilets and use the washing machine when they are suppose to be using the rain water. She just said thats the way it is that i have to pay the bill wether the tank is connected or not.

Surely there must be some ground for me to challenge this as the supposed service that we thought was there is not.

Anyway thought i would ask the experts on here for advice.

Thanks in advance

Paddy
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:55 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Water charges question. Need Advice!!!!

Many tenants don't need to pay water. What State are you in ? Maybe different rules for some States.

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Many tenants don't need to pay water. What State are you in ? Maybe different rules for some States.
We are in Queensland.

Rental agent said that the owner pays so much of the bill and we pay the rest. It depends on the owner. Our neighbour does not have to pay as the owner of her house pays them. Our owner must be just tight fisted

Paddy
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:09 am
ABCDiamond

You may have a way out....

Lessors will be able to pass on the full water consumption costs to tenants if:
  • the rental premises are individually metered (or water is delivered by vehicle), and
  • the rental premises are water efficient, and
  • the tenancy agreement states the tenant must pay for water consumption.

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/water_charging_1.cfm

Based on the tank not operating, I would guess that the water efficiency is lacking compared to your expectations.

You will be expected to pay for some water, but not all.

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks ABC

Will let you know what happens

Paddy
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

We have to pay water here. The owner pays it and we reimburse. I'm still waiting for our first bill...
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 5:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Japonica
We have to pay water here. The owner pays it and we reimburse. I'm still waiting for our first bill...
Most landlords should consider that it may be better to pay the water, and have the tenants water the garden etc, rather than let it go.
After all, how much is it ? Our own water usage is $80 for a quarter, about $6 pw.

I do believe though, that a tenant should pay any 'excessive' water use.

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Most landlords should consider that it may be better to pay the water, and have the tenants water the garden etc, rather than let it go.
After all, how much is it ? Our own water usage is $80 for a quarter, about $6 pw.

I do believe though, that a tenant should pay any 'excessive' water use.
Our lease stipulates that we have to pay all water and we are responsible for watering the garden and keeping it lovely or else we're liable for 1) replacing dead plants or 2) the rental agency hiring a gardener and sending us the bill. The owner is not paying anything towards upkeep of his plants and garden. Nice, hey?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:32 am
ABCDiamond

Our lease stipulates that we have to pay all water and we are responsible for watering the garden and keeping it lovely or else we're liable for 1) replacing dead plants or 2) the rental agency hiring a gardener and sending us the bill. The owner is not paying anything towards upkeep of his plants and garden. Nice, hey?
I would never dream of imposing those terms on a tenant. That is well and truly over the top of anything I have ever seen.

I know of landlords that send gardeners round at their own expense, to ensure the garden stays nice.

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, our tenancy agreement says the same. Maybe it's a WA thing.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:12 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
We are in Queensland.

Rental agent said that the owner pays so much of the bill and we pay the rest. It depends on the owner. Our neighbour does not have to pay as the owner of her house pays them. Our owner must be just tight fisted

Paddy
Check with the Rental Tenancy Authority www.rta.qld.gov.au for peace of mind.

They are the ones with the legislation knowledge and can advise and mediate if necessary.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:57 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

Ours is the same, didn't realise this and our first bill was just over $300 for 4 months!! Once we realised we cut watering the garden right down and our last one was $120.00 which is much better, again we live in WA
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Ours is the same, didn't realise this and our first bill was just over $300 for 4 months!! Once we realised we cut watering the garden right down and our last one was $120.00 which is much better, again we live in WA
Yeah, we haven't got the first bill yet. If it's astronomical, then we'll cut back as well. No wonder half of the plants in the garden looked crispy when we moved in. And the lawn was in terrible shape...the previous tenants, I imagine, saw the cost of maintaining the garden. And we've been dutifully watering 2 hours a day (retic), twice a week (on our watering days).

So, if the bill comes in at $300 too, then those plants are going to have to love living on less...
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

And we've been dutifully watering 2 hours a day (retic), twice a week (on our watering days).
Japonica,

2 hours a day on your watering days????? Just to let you know that in WA the legal maximum is 15 minutes per sprinkler station (group of sprinklers that go off together) on your watering days. You can check this on the Watercorporation website: www.watercorporation.com.au
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:17 pm
ABCDiamond

When looking at the water charges, ensure you know the difference between water rates and water usage.
Water rates = fixed charges
Water usage = variable charges based on water consumed
Normally, the landlord is always responsible for the water rates.
I did just find however, that landlords in WA are also allowed to charge the fixed charges to the tenant, IF they include it in the tenancy agreement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.