Water bores

Old Jun 5th 2006, 8:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Water bores

Anyone got a water bore in use? We've just obtained a licence but looking at the sort of money they want for pumps giving 30m heads I'm wondering what I've let myself in for!

Most of the bores round here go down 130 - 150m........
Old Jun 5th 2006, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Water bores

Originally Posted by Wol
Anyone got a water bore in use? We've just obtained a licence but looking at the sort of money they want for pumps giving 30m heads I'm wondering what I've let myself in for!

Most of the bores round here go down 130 - 150m........
I spoke recently to one of our neighbours who is building and it had cost them $15k to sink the bore and another $5k to equip it They had to go down 143 metres!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 9:38 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup that's about right. Our neighbours have done that recently. However, you will save, eventually.... and you can use water as and when for the garden... I'm quite confused how it all works really, considering that you're still drawing water from the water table which is where all the other water comes from too.

PS - I did wonder if this was about deep holes or those people you meet at parties who can't stop talking about water.

Last edited by iPom; Jun 5th 2006 at 9:41 am.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:20 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicstids
I spoke recently to one of our neighbours who is building and it had cost them $15k to sink the bore and another $5k to equip it They had to go down 143 metres!
Do you know if that included the tank?

Our plan is to draw the bore water into a holding tank - which also allows the iron to precipitate out to some extent - and then pump it for irrigation. So - loadsapiping, BIG tank, two pumps, electricity down the hole: welcome to the driest continent!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:21 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

>>PS - I did wonder if this was about deep holes or those people you meet at parties who can't stop talking about water.<<

Right now you're talking about me!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:15 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Do you know if that included the tank?

Our plan is to draw the bore water into a holding tank - which also allows the iron to precipitate out to some extent - and then pump it for irrigation. So - loadsapiping, BIG tank, two pumps, electricity down the hole: welcome to the driest continent!
I'm not sure but none of the houses round here with bores seem to have all that...

I got the impression that the $15k was purely for the drilling. Don't think you'd get away with $5k for all those extra bits you're talking about
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not sure but none of the houses round here with bores seem to have all that...

I got the impression that the $15k was purely for the drilling. Don't think you'd get away with $5k for all those extra bits you're talking about
We've been quoted some $16000 for the bore - another $5k if it's through saline and has to be concrete lined: it is the rest of the paraphernalia that is making my eyes bulge at the moment!

On top of this the NSW requirement insists on another tank collecting rainwater, with its own pumps and controls, bypasses, divertors, timers and so on.

Just as well we've a reasonable size site - it wouldn't all fit in otherwise!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:22 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

We have a bore and it will now be in regular use until we get some decent rain again. We have had the water tested (free by Pine Rivers Shire Council) and it is suitable for drinking. We certainly appreciate having the bore to top the water tanks up as we are not on mains water.

I think long term it probably pays for itself if you are a big water user (I guess that depends on the size of your family, if you have a pool to top up etc...).

Dawn
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:27 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmf
We have a bore and it will now be in regular use until we get some decent rain again. We have had the water tested (free by Pine Rivers Shire Council) and it is suitable for drinking. We certainly appreciate having the bore to top the water tanks up as we are not on mains water.

I think long term it probably pays for itself if you are a big water user (I guess that depends on the size of your family, if you have a pool to top up etc...).

Dawn
Yes, if you're not on mains it has to be a good bet. We are - or will be when the place is built - on town water but want to have a garden worthy of the name!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't a large rainwater tank do the job for less? If you have a large roof area the water accumulates very quickly - 1mm of rain over 1sq m gives you 1 litre. Our roof area is about 400sq m and we have a 31500 litre tank (no mains).
Old Jun 6th 2006, 2:05 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lesleys
Wouldn't a large rainwater tank do the job for less? If you have a large roof area the water accumulates very quickly - 1mm of rain over 1sq m gives you 1 litre. Our roof area is about 400sq m and we have a 31500 litre tank (no mains).
The problem is twofold: the NSW government now requires you to collect and store the roof water to use in the washing machine and loos, so it can't be used for the garden and secondly you couldn't store enough anyway for that purpose. Plus the fact that it's a drought anyway (except for the last few days...)