Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Watching uk tv in OZ

Watching uk tv in OZ

Old Jan 12th 2006, 8:12 am
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Watching uk tv in OZ

I have just read about this new device at the Consumer Electronics Show which lets you watch any tv or set top box it is plugged into anywhere in the world. Now if I am reading it right that means if you have relatives in the UK who are prepared to let you plug it in at their house you can watch all UK tv including SKY if it's installed anywhere in the world over an internet connection. It even allows you to control the programming and recording-now how cool is that

For anyone who who wants to check it out the have a look here http://www.slingmedia.com/slingbox/

Mind you I am going to OZ to watch less TV not more
I do love my gadgets though-Especially TIVO (I hope that works in OZ)

They are only available in the US at present but are going to sell them in the UK this year.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:44 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watching uk tv in OZ

Originally Posted by happy chappy
I have just read about this new device at the Consumer Electronics Show which lets you watch any tv or set top box it is plugged into anywhere in the world. Now if I am reading it right that means if you have relatives in the UK who are prepared to let you plug it in at their house you can watch all UK tv including SKY if it's installed anywhere in the world over an internet connection. It even allows you to control the programming and recording-now how cool is that

For anyone who who wants to check it out the have a look here http://www.slingmedia.com/slingbox/

Mind you I am going to OZ to watch less TV not more
I do love my gadgets though-Especially TIVO (I hope that works in OZ)

They are only available in the US at present but are going to sell them in the UK this year.
Aye- must admit this one made me sit up and pay attention too. Don't think I'd have any problems getting the parents-in-law to let me set-up a special sky box in their house. Wonder if the remote control thing could be made to work with it.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:07 am
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hutch
Aye- must admit this one made me sit up and pay attention too. Don't think I'd have any problems getting the parents-in-law to let me set-up a special sky box in their house. Wonder if the remote control thing could be made to work with it.
I think you can programme the software to change the channels etc via your computer and it's compatible with Sky so I don't think it would be a problem.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

All the trials and tribulations of planning a new life, new home, money worries , visa appl. medicals - I have spent months worrying about it all.

Him indoors - is only bothered about recieving SKY sports?????????

So I will ensure He doesn't read this thread - as I intend to have him occupied with the BBQ.

Angela
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:46 pm
Live it not dream it!!

Originally Posted by Angela Marie
All the trials and tribulations of planning a new life, new home, money worries , visa appl. medicals - I have spent months worrying about it all.

Him indoors - is only bothered about recieving SKY sports?????????

So I will ensure He doesn't read this thread - as I intend to have him occupied with the BBQ.

Angela
Ah yes but I bet if you could get UK TV in OZ you would be hogging it watching Eastenders while poor hubby is grilling his sausages.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Have you tried any of the torrent sites?

Downloaded the whole of the X factor series the other week.

Can even get the BBC evening news. Just put onto a VCD and into the lounge.

Cheers

Lee
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leejo
Have you tried any of the torrent sites?

Downloaded the whole of the X factor series the other week.

Can even get the BBC evening news. Just put onto a VCD and into the lounge.

Cheers

Lee
I've been watching the second series of The Mighty Boosh courtesy of the torrent sites. We also watch never mind the buzzcocks, Friday Night with Jonathan Ross and HIGNFY the day after they are broadcast in the UK.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

cookem is an unknown quantity at this point

This sounds very good. However, how do you think the greedy b'stards at the BBC are going to feel about this and their loss of licence revenue. Can't see them liking it.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:25 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of size are the files you have to download (ie for one episode of Never Mind the ...) ?, i've got the most basic level broadband at home so I assume this isnt going to cut it?
Steve
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:25 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought the torrent sites left you at risk of them getting stuff off your computer???

Did look at the site someone recommended UK something last time but it wouldn't let me join said full at present.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cookem
This sounds very good. However, how do you think the greedy b'stards at the BBC are going to feel about this and their loss of licence revenue. Can't see them liking it.
If they don't like it. Why have they opened there archives to the public via the net recently.

If you can't beat'em, join'em!!
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by annqldau
Thought the torrent sites left you at risk of them getting stuff off your computer???

Did look at the site someone recommended UK something last time but it wouldn't let me join said full at present.
What STUFF have you got on your computer????????

You can control the upload stream for your PC.

Last edited by leejo; Jan 13th 2006 at 6:40 am.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve99
What sort of size are the files you have to download (ie for one episode of Never Mind the ...) ?, i've got the most basic level broadband at home so I assume this isnt going to cut it?
Steve
If you have broadband it will probably take a couple of nights. Just set it up before you go to bed.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:42 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Who's opened their archives to general viewing???

Just general stuff but don't want personal stuff knicked by others it has nothing to do with.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau

Not necessarily. No greater danger than having a computer always on the internet. I get around it by having a hardware firewall and also only using the computer for downloading with nothing on it of any value or interest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.