Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

watching tv,what digital box etc etc

watching tv,what digital box etc etc

Old Jul 26th 2013, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default watching tv,what digital box etc etc

Im finally getting my container of stuff from uk delivered next week,so be busy trying to set up and get things into place in our rental,in our rental we have a foxtel dish which im not sure we will use as its just a item we dont want to pay out for right at this time.
And i see there is an ariel on the roof,i was wondering when we come to set up our plasma which is about 4 years old if not older,we need a digibox etc so we can get tv,anyone tell me if these need an ariel to work them?
Reason i ask is back in the uk all i had was a sky dish and i got my channels from there so no need for an ariel etc,so can anyone tell me what these new digiboxes need to work just plug into tv and your away or need an ariel to work?
Anyone recommend any brand,or certains ones i should maybe look at as i can shop around and see what they are going for.
Ok i could use foxtel but this is extra money we need to pay for this and its not really needed at this time,maybe later on.
Your help on this would be great.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: watching tv,what digital box etc etc

A local digibox will work on the standard aerial connection on your UK TV. There are various kinds in JB-Hi-Fi etc...
Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Get one that isn't labelled Freeview. There are plenty to choose from.

Freeview ones make it very difficult to skip just the adverts on recorded programmes - by making fast-forward jump too far at once so you skip the ads and half the programme as well.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alfresco
A local digibox will work on the standard aerial connection on your UK TV. There are various kinds in JB-Hi-Fi etc...
So if im reading this right i just plug it into the back of my tv and i get the channels?
So i take these boxes dont use an ariel these days,i dont have much knowledge of these as never have owned one.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lesleys
Get one that isn't labelled Freeview. There are plenty to choose from.

Freeview ones make it very difficult to skip just the adverts on recorded programmes - by making fast-forward jump too far at once so you skip the ads and half the programme as well.
I maybe wrong but having the option of being able to skip ads etc and fast forward is a good option to have right?I had sky+ back home i was able to record,rewind and fast forward on it and i liked that option.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
So if im reading this right i just plug it into the back of my tv and i get the channels?
So i take these boxes dont use an ariel these days,i dont have much knowledge of these as never have owned one.
The aerial cable (from the wall) plugs into the digibox and then plug a HDMI cable from the digibox into the TV.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:00 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
The aerial cable (from the wall) plugs into the digibox and then plug a HDMI cable from the digibox into the TV.
I just plugged straight into the TV - on a newer set you can set region for Australia and an older one works if set to Germany. You only get the free to air but that works for me and young spark watches what he wants through the net
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

also i have a new apple tv,coming in the container could i make use of this as in would i still be better or need a set top box?as im sure i read you can get all sorts through an apple tv unit and are able to watch usa and uk tv anyone able to give me more info on this
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I maybe wrong but having the option of being able to skip ads etc and fast forward is a good option to have right?I had sky+ back home i was able to record,rewind and fast forward on it and i liked that option.
Yes, but Freeview skips too much at once. You can't get the fine control you need to neatly skip the ads. It's intended to force you to watch the ads so you don't miss any of the programme.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:39 am
Living in the mountains

earlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to all

also i have a new apple tv,coming in the container could i make use of this as in would i still be better or need a set top box?as im sure i read you can get all sorts through an apple tv unit and are able to watch usa and uk tv anyone able to give me more info on this
You can subscribe to unblock-us.com. That allows you access through your AppleTV and computers to watch UK and US content. You need to set up a US iTunes account to access US content. Do a search on the web for how to do this.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:39 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by earlybird
You can subscribe to unblock-us.com. That allows you access through your AppleTV and computers to watch UK and US content. You need to set up a US iTunes account to access US content. Do a search on the web for how to do this.
Unotelly seems to be the flavour of the VPN month at the moment. US + UK TV and you can try for free. Apple TV is not required, and IIRC you need an ipad to watch iplayer on apple TV.

Foxtel has always seemed way overpriced to me. I see people getting US Netflix 12month subs for $50 and watching that via VPN.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

i wondered if anyone could help me out i have a rental and the main lounge has no ariel socket,it only has a foxtel one which im not going to use,in the other lounge which we dont want as main lounge as a tv ariel point,how can i get one in main room in fact how do i get in any bedroom if we wanted tv there as well.
Any advise would be great i really am looking to get in the lounge we want to use.i know when we viewed property the people where still in here and they had tv working there but no idea how,as said have foxel points in one bedroom and the main lounge and one ariel connection in the other lounge.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

i wondered if anyone could help me out i have a rental and the main lounge has no ariel socket,it only has a foxtel one which im not going to use,in the other lounge which we dont want as main lounge as a tv ariel point,how can i get one in main room in fact how do i get in any bedroom if we wanted tv there as well.
Any advise would be great i really am looking to get in the lounge we want to use.i know when we viewed property the people where still in here and they had tv working there but no idea how,as said have foxel points in one bedroom and the main lounge and one ariel connection in the other lounge.
extra long cable from the socket in the other room?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

you have answered your own question they was probably watching foxtel
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:39 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Use a digi or AV sender from a tv in the room that has an aerial AV Sender

Alternatively, ask your landlord if you are allowed to install further aerial points. They may well insist it is done by a professional, but I would say if they have already allowed Foxtel, chances are, they will allow extra aerial points as it will be a plus point for future tenants.