British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Watch out..are you speeding? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/watch-out-you-speeding-686372/)

Dylan T Sep 21st 2010 4:38 pm

Watch out..are you speeding?
 
Got two fines on ONE day when travelling on the Princess Highway, one $149 for overspeeding <10km, one $239 for <15km!!:ohmy: Now know why ppl here are driving not as recklessly.:unsure:

Red_V_Roger Sep 22nd 2010 2:02 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 

Originally Posted by Dylan T (Post 8865535)
Got two fines on ONE day when travelling on the Princess Highway, one $149 for overspeeding <10km, one $239 for <15km!!:ohmy: Now know why ppl here are driving not as recklessly.:unsure:

Welcome to Australia.

Just remember one thing...speed is the route of all evil in Australia and is (as I have a reply letter from the NSW RTA to prove) their only real considered cause of accidents.

It doesn't matter that 17 year old kids can drive 3.0ltr V6's with very cheap insurance or that people hog the middle lane (where signed to keep left) or that almost no sign at night is illuminated, or that people drive in thongs, or that they don't learn car control with being in an auto, drive far too close and like stupid in the wet.

NO - ONLY SPEED MATTERS IN AUSTRALIAN ROAD SAFETY

So the only way you can't help the State revenue is by not speeding.


Don't get me wrong, I am not saying on here like many do when this matter comes up, "Well if you didn't speed...." What I am saying is that their whole road safety policy is screwed because it only focus on the one thing that lines State revenue's pockets.

Swerv-o Sep 22nd 2010 2:25 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger (Post 8866863)
Welcome to Australia.

Just remember one thing...speed is the route of all evil in Australia and is (as I have a reply letter from the NSW RTA to prove) their only real considered cause of accidents.

It doesn't matter that 17 year old kids can drive 3.0ltr V6's with very cheap insurance or that people hog the middle lane (where signed to keep left) or that almost no sign at night is illuminated, or that people drive in thongs, or that they don't learn car control with being in an auto, drive far too close and like stupid in the wet.

NO - ONLY SPEED MATTERS IN AUSTRALIAN ROAD SAFETY

So the only way you can't help the State revenue is by not speeding.


Don't get me wrong, I am not saying on here like many do when this matter comes up, "Well if you didn't speed...." What I am saying is that their whole road safety policy is screwed because it only focus on the one thing that lines State revenue's pockets.


Agreed.

Are you sure you don't want to add in some pontificating too though?


S

dave99 Sep 22nd 2010 2:43 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 
if your speeding, then its no ones fault but your own if you get caught and have to pay a big fine

Kelli28 Sep 22nd 2010 2:48 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 8866918)
if your speeding, then its no ones fault but your own if you get caught and have to pay a big fine

Thanks for letting us know

Officer Dibble Sep 22nd 2010 3:09 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 

Originally Posted by kelli28 (Post 8866927)
Thanks for letting us know

All this time Ive been blaming the dog. :rofl:

Steve2009 Sep 22nd 2010 4:03 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 
Be careful of the points, NSW suspends thousands of drivers every week. Double points on public holiday weekends too.

Red_V_Roger Sep 22nd 2010 4:07 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 

Originally Posted by Steve2009 (Post 8867022)
Be careful of the points, NSW suspends thousands of drivers every week. Double points on public holiday weekends too.

Yes, I dont care about the money...its the points.

Gems Sep 22nd 2010 4:13 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 
Its a pain here for speeding tickets.
Hubby is the most careful driver, and never had any speeding tickets in his life
until we came here.

Came to Australia and got caught on the outskirts of town, they reckon he was doing 75 in 70 road. However we were not so sure and it was also a big hill and inbetween 2 speeding signs. We paid up but still unsure whether he was actually speeding.
Ive since read that my town has been conning people by doing speeding inbetween speed signs and up hills. Which is how we got our fine.

So even if your normally a careful driver your probably going to get stuck with a speeding fine sooner than later in Aus.

Gems

Gems Sep 22nd 2010 4:16 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 
Ive since read that my town has been conning people by doing speeding inbetween speed signs and up hills. Which is how we got our fine.

Also they now hide the camera in bushes which isnt supposed to be done.

For those who dont know this is illegal and they are not supposed to do it.

markbhx Sep 22nd 2010 5:10 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger (Post 8866863)
Welcome to Australia.

Just remember one thing...speed is the route of all evil in Australia and is (as I have a reply letter from the NSW RTA to prove) their only real considered cause of accidents.

It doesn't matter that 17 year old kids can drive 3.0ltr V6's with very cheap insurance or that people hog the middle lane (where signed to keep left) or that almost no sign at night is illuminated, or that people drive in thongs, or that they don't learn car control with being in an auto, drive far too close and like stupid in the wet.

NO - ONLY SPEED MATTERS IN AUSTRALIAN ROAD SAFETY

So the only way you can't help the State revenue is by not speeding.


Don't get me wrong, I am not saying on here like many do when this matter comes up, "Well if you didn't speed...." What I am saying is that their whole road safety policy is screwed because it only focus on the one thing that lines State revenue's pockets.

The road law is completely backwards. I saw a porsche on P plates and was full of kids, obviously daddys car or they were drug dealers! Thats ok though because a 17yo would never speed in a porsche with his mates in the back!!

I think they also need do an advanced lesson on how to use the left lane.
Many times I have been at the back of someone driving slow in the outside lane, not once do they look in the rear view mirror!! I'm not sure they know how to use it!! Most drivers seem to only be aware of whats in front of them and not around them.

Don't get me started on driving in the rain, jeez they seem to lose the little driving ability they have altogether. Maybe they need rain driving lessons too!!

Amazulu Sep 22nd 2010 5:19 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 

Originally Posted by Gems (Post 8867035)
Its a pain here for speeding tickets.
Hubby is the most careful driver, and never had any speeding tickets in his life
until we came here.

Came to Australia and got caught on the outskirts of town, they reckon he was doing 75 in 70 road. However we were not so sure and it was also a big hill and inbetween 2 speeding signs. We paid up but still unsure whether he was actually speeding.
Ive since read that my town has been conning people by doing speeding inbetween speed signs and up hills. Which is how we got our fine.

So even if your normally a careful driver your probably going to get stuck with a speeding fine sooner than later in Aus.

Gems

Interestingly, a friend of ours in on holiday in the UK at the moment and has just been done twice in a week for speeding! I saw few cameras when I was there recently (although there are now a lot more of those average speed setups on the motorways) - and even less cops. I guess she has been unlucky.

Amazulu Sep 22nd 2010 5:23 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 8867139)
The road law is completely backwards. I saw a porsche on P plates and was full of kids, obviously daddys car or they were drug dealers! Thats ok though because a 17yo would never speed in a porsche with his mates in the back!!

I think they also need do an advanced lesson on how to use the left lane.
Many times I have been at the back of someone driving slow in the outside lane, not once do they look in the rear view mirror!! I'm not sure they know how to use it!! Most drivers seem to only be aware of whats in front of them and not around them.

Don't get me started on driving in the rain, jeez they seem to lose the little driving ability they have altogether. Maybe they need rain driving lessons too!!

I was over in the UK recently and I didn't think the driving standard was that much better to be honest. Drivers are definitely more courteous and probably drive better at higher speeds but I didn't think that general driving standards were better than here. On the other hand, driving standards in Germany and Austria were very good. Driving there was a dream.

knockoff nige Sep 22nd 2010 5:24 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 
Do you ever think that drivers who drive slower than you are tossers but anyone who drives faster than you is a total maniac?

Anyway, there are too many aggressive drivers over here. Living in Vaucluse I see many yuppies weaving in and out of lanes with no indication and very little space. Australians in person, generally are lovely people. Put them in a car and they become instant assholes. Ok so thats generalising, sue me.

Red_V_Roger Sep 22nd 2010 5:31 am

Re: Watch out..are you speeding?
 

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 8867139)
The road law is completely backwards. I saw a porsche on P plates and was full of kids, obviously daddys car or they were drug dealers! Thats ok though because a 17yo would never speed in a porsche with his mates in the back!!

I think they also need do an advanced lesson on how to use the left lane.
Many times I have been at the back of someone driving slow in the outside lane, not once do they look in the rear view mirror!! I'm not sure they know how to use it!! Most drivers seem to only be aware of whats in front of them and not around them.

Don't get me started on driving in the rain, jeez they seem to lose the little driving ability they have altogether. Maybe they need rain driving lessons too!!

In the letter that I wrote to the RTA, one of the subjects I addressed was limiting P platers to small cars, perhaps by making the insurance premiums absoluetly massive - like happens in the UK.

Their reply said that they had addressed this aleady limiting P plates to nothing larger than a V6, no turbos and no superchargers. So that's alright then...:eek::eek::eek:


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:52 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.